• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey guys....this is my life we're talking about....

126 posts in this topic

I'm not a rich person. I try to work hard and do my best. Plenty of mis-steps....but here's my plea.......

I'm going to sell a comic on ComicConnect very soon. My 3rd one for sale there I think. I love comics, and have bought and sold many since I started collecting around the year 2000. Been interested since 1989-90, the first time I saw a comic-book price guide....but I only switched all my efforts since about 2005. Sole everything I own cause I LOVE comics. But I'm not rich like I say....never had a lifestyle change, for instance, because of comics. Still live in a nice but small apartment. That being said......

I've never been so nervous in all my life. I (and you) can always tell within reason what a comic will sell for. Not this time. The comic I'm selling could go for anywhere from $20K to $1M+. I'm not even gonna get into it. I'll just say ONE fact so you don't think I'm blowing-smoke. Ernest Gerber himself rated this comic ahead of all the classics. Ahead of All-American 16, Flash Comics 1, Captain America 1, and all the rest. He rated it at 1/4 the value of Action #1 (most valuable comic). So since the Mile High top-rated copy of Action 1 would undoubtedly go for well-over $4M....why shouldn't my comic go for $1M ??

So my humble plea is that at someone gives me a good price. Thanks.

PS - The Golden Age Forum is the only place to be IMO.

I'm curious...which one is it? :)
+1. My guess is you're talking about Marvel Comics 1 or Whiz Comics 1 ( two books that at the time Gerber may have made the statement were "higher" on the totem pole than now when compared to the books you say he mentioned. But again, I could be wrong (shrug) . Don't keep us in suspense too long :wishluck: . Good luck with your sale.

I'm curious...which one is it? :)
+1. My guess is you're talking about Marvel Comics 1 or Whiz Comics 1 ( two books that at the time Gerber may have made the statement were "higher" on the totem pole than now when compared to the books you say he mentioned. But again, I could be wrong (shrug) . Don't keep us in suspense too long :wishluck: . Good luck with your sale.

the tec27 (shrug)

Good guesses lol. But I'm not exaggerating when I say this one is worth $1M by solid evidence....but could go for cheap too because it never changes hands. So it's not appreciated possibly. It's Flash Comics #1 Ashcan CGC 9.4 white 1st Captain Marvel - highest existing, 1 of 8, Gerber 9....Ernest Gerber himself says it's worth over $1M. Thoughts???

Extremely cool book, limited audience.

Broad range for sale price is probably accurate. If two people want it bad enough, and the other 7 copies are locked up, it could go very high indeed.

Of course, there are the other ashcan titles, Thunder, etc, so it depends on how much the title "Flash Comics" titillates in addition to the Captain Marvel interest.

Good guesses lol. But I'm not exaggerating when I say this one is worth $1M by solid evidence....but could go for cheap too because it never changes hands. So it's not appreciated possibly. It's Flash Comics #1 Ashcan CGC 9.4 white 1st Captain Marvel - highest existing, 1 of 8, Gerber 9....Ernest Gerber himself says it's worth over $1M. Thoughts???

Mitch?

I thought you were already a member . . .

Anyway, my thoughts.

Very, very small buyer pool. It's one thing to tell the hoi polloi that you have the first appearance of Superman.

It's an entirely different thing to have to explain what an ashcan is and its significance.

It's like (IMHO) a really rare variant, and while there are people who collect variants (of course) they are a "subset" of the broader comic collecting community.

Anyway, my opinion, YMMV etc but that said, I wish you all the best with the sale.

I really hope that this goes beyond well for you!

Just getting to read about a book of this caliber being sold by its owner here is very,very cool to me.Again,you have my best wishes.

1 of 8..... Best copy...amazing sir!

Thanks. Appreciate the kind words. Whatever happens happens I guess. Like I said, I've sold a few good comics before....but never one with this potential....and uncertainty.

PS - no, my name is not Mitch. I'm not well known or anything lol.

But I'm not exaggerating when I say this one is worth $1M by solid evidence....but could go for cheap too because it never changes hands.

Looks like its last recorded sale on GPA was back in 2008 (although the data look a little strange...there are two sales recorded on the same day, where the cert# is 1 digit off):

May-22-2008 $6,573 Cert# 0910787005

May-22-2008 $14,340 Cert# 0910787006

Is this your book here?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Comics-1-Ashcan-First-Appearance-of-Captain-Marvel-CGC-9-4-/261332997308?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cd8a914bc

Wait Im confused. If the ashcan was used for purposes of trademarking a title...

why are there two "Flash Comics" ashcans? Wouldnt one be enough?

And they're both noted as #1 issues...

I noticed that too...they're from different publishers...looks like DC issued a "Flash Comics #1" in 1939, then Fawcett issued its "Flash Comics #1" in 1940...this OP's book is the Fawcett. They were one month apart...I guess Fawcett was slow to the punch with the trademark attempt. Also looks like GPA has commingled the data across the two, further confusing the situation. There's a copy of the DC sitting on eBay for sale right now as well (probably the highest price one you're referring to):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-COMICS-1-ASHCAN-EDITION-CGC-9-6-1939-/120652990756?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c177a8924

So the Census has a 9.0 (#0056461007), also noted in GPA as selling in 2006 for $10k (is that 25% of Action 1's value in 2006?)

And then a 9.4 (0910787006) sold in 2008 for $14k. The 9.4 was graded in 2008, while the 9.0 was in 2002.

Is this the same book that got a press and resub? Or are there two copies of the same book?

Advice to the OP might be to clean up the census so it's obvious that this is a one of a kind book (vs there being a 9.4 and a 9.0)

It doesnt look like the market has ever even supported six figures for the number. As others have said, smaller market, lack of understanding of what an "ashcan" is, and the fact that it's not an actually published comic (just faux-published for copyright purposes). If you can find a couple of deep pocketed comic book historians maybe they get in a bidding war... but still

So the Census has a 9.0 (#0056461007), also noted in GPA as selling in 2006 for $10k (is that 25% of Action 1's value in 2006?)

And then a 9.4 (0910787006) sold in 2008 for $14k. The 9.4 was graded in 2008, while the 9.0 was in 2002.

Is this the same book that got a press and resub? Or are there two copies of the same book?

Advice to the OP might be to clean up the census so it's obvious that this is a one of a kind book (vs there being a 9.4 and a 9.0)

The Fawcett 9.0 is also currently listed on eBay (by a different seller) :D : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-1-Ashcan-x2-Superman-1-Ashcan-super-valible-read-discription-/121487192701?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c4933727d

There's also a GPA entry for a sale of a 9.6 ashcan back in 2003 for $12,000, but I presume that's the DC ashcan, not the Fawcett ashcan (shrug)

Actually, scratch that...if you read the item description, the seller clarifies that the item is NOT for sale on eBay...how bizarre. :facepalm:

Notwithstanding that nonsense...in comparing the scans, it appears that the 9.0 and 9.4 Fawcetts are different books...

Ernest Gerber himself rated this comic ahead of all the classics. Ahead of All-American 16, Flash Comics 1, Captain America 1, and all the rest. He rated it at 1/4 the value of Action #1 (most valuable comic). So since the Mile High top-rated copy of Action 1 would undoubtedly go for well-over $4M....why shouldn't my comic go for $1M ??

It's absolutely a very cool book, but I'm not sure I find this logic convincing. :foryou: