• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK HULK 1

46 posts in this topic

Pence copies, especially SA, were actually made almost a month before their US counterpart to give them enough time to arrive across the pond, and hit the stands at roughly the same time the US editions hit the stands. This is why there is no month in the issue number box. Value-wise, it really depends. I tend to collect UK pence keys, so I value them differently than most other people who believe they are only worth half the US edition. Regardless of which side of the fence you're on in terms of their deserved value, better condition examples are rarer than rare.

Pence copies, especially SA, were actually made almost a month before their US counterpart to give them enough time to arrive across the pond, and hit the stands at roughly the same time the US editions hit the stands. This is why there is no month in the issue number box. Value-wise, it really depends. I tend to collect UK pence keys, so I value them differently than most other people who believe they are only worth half the US edition. Regardless of which side of the fence you're on in terms of their deserved value, better condition examples are rarer than rare.

Has this been definitively confirmed? :o

I hear that rumored a lot.

I would think ALL of the UK major marvel keys would hold the same value as US copies if your statement were true.

Personally, the few key issue pence copies I have sold have gone for 70%-80% of US copies, but non key pence copies go for much less.

I was always under the impression that they were all printed at the same time, not in advance. In terms of value it really ranges. I myself value them at 40% of US value. Most stores I see them sell them for 50-60% of US value, but some foreign collectors see them as 1-1 and value them at 90-100% of US.

Has this been definitively confirmed? :o

I hear that rumored a lot.

I would think ALL of the UK major marvel keys would hold the same value as US copies if your statement were true.

Personally, the few key issue pence copies I have sold have gone for 70%-80% of US copies, but non key pence copies go for much less.

The way I've heard many times it is that they were printed first and then the plates changed for the cents copies. They took a few weeks to land over here, hence the lack of date on the front. But I don't know first hand.

Just a query on UK editions 9a for Hulk 1. Value vs US. I am not sure of the Value difference.

Come on Jaydee.... let's see a pic of this bad boy.

In theory he may not have one. There is a 2.5 Blue label UK hulk 1 up for auction in this Sunday's Heritage. He might be trying to decide a max bid. Just a guess :)

Just a query on UK editions 9a for Hulk 1. Value vs US. I am not sure of the Value difference.

Come on Jaydee.... let's see a pic of this bad boy.

In theory he may not have one. There is a 2.5 Blue label UK hulk 1 up for auction in this Sunday's Heritage. He might be trying to decide a max bid. Just a guess :)

Way to use your Avatar's detective skills jaybuck

Weird. I've always heard that pence copies were 5-10% of the total print run and were printed immediately after the cent copies were completed. I really can't imagine a publisher finding it cost effective to set up the presses twice.

As to the size of the print run I think you are right, about 5%. CBP seems to think/say that the British run was done at the end of a print run (which differs from what I had heard, that it was at the start hence the reason why the colors are sometimes better on british copies) CBP agrees

British editions of American comics were printed at the same time, on the same paper using the same machinery. The proportion of British copies was generally somewhere up to 5% of the print run but was probably much lower in the early days of Marvel and DC UK distribution, nearer 2-3%.

At the end of a print run, in the case of the early Marvels, a 9d (ninepence) cover price plate was substituted in place of the American 10 cents. For DCs, the cover was hand-stamped. The stamping varies - some can be quite light, others quite heavy and some can be stamped twice when the person concerned missed the first time!

Early Marvels have additional distributor information in the indicia - a single line saying Sole Distributors in the United Kingdom - Thorpe & Porter Ltd. But this needs comprehensive checking. There are also a few instances on 60s Marvel comics where the British cover paper seems to be fractionally thinner than on the US edition (eg Fantastic Four #56) but this again needs comprehensive checking.

Values of pence copies versus cents copies vary a lot. There are collectors of pence copies who are willing to pay full value for pence copies because they are hard to find compared to their cents counterparts while there are many collectors who will only collect cents and won't entertain pence copies.

In my experience (and I do sell them on a regular basis), I find that they average out at around two thirds of cents value which is what I generally price mine at. I find that there are a lot more customers for pence copies now than there used to be.

Values of pence copies versus cents copies vary a lot. There are collectors of pence copies who are willing to pay full value for pence copies because they are hard to find compared to their cents counterparts while there are many collectors who will only collect cents and won't entertain pence copies.

In my experience (and I do sell them on a regular basis), I find that they average out at around two thirds of cents value which is what I generally price mine at. I find that there are a lot more customers for pence copies now than there used to be.

In your experience, does the 2/3rd ratio change when it's a key, or is it consistent across the series?

In your experience, does the 2/3rd ratio change when it's a key, or is it consistent across the series?

I think 2/3rds is a good point for non-keys. Keys tend to be closer, around the 80% mark.

gaz973, Why are there so few pence copies slabbed by CGC? Is it because Brits don't want to risk shipping them overseas? Or is it because they really are super rare comics.

Another way I should ask this is.... Do you see a lot of "raw" pence copies in the UK? Of key issues?

When you look at the CGC census for AF15 it shows 32 UK copies and 2246 US copies.

That's 1 UK graded copy for every 72 US graded copies.

With the highest grade being a 7.0 (my copy... woohoo)

For Hulk 1 it's 24 UK slabs and 1134 US slabs.

That boils down to 1 UK graded copy for every 47 US copies.

With the highest UK grade being a 6.5

Xmen 1= 37UK - 2930US

FF 1 = 7UK - 1515US

TTA27 = 7UK - 634US

JIM83 = 13UK - 1166US

Gadzukes, I would guess that cost of slabbing is also a huge factor. Lets use that Hulk 1 4.0 as a point of reference from earlier. Ok so I pack it up and then have to fedex it from UK to CGC. I'm gonna use my corporate account to generate costs (I get a significant discount, so factor that into the numbers) Fedex is giving me quotes for overnight at $140.62 and $98.72 for economy. That means I'm gonna have to pay almost $200 in shipping costs plus import duty when the book comes back. Plus 3% of $5,000. So total grading fees would be $353.44+ import duty.