• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK HULK 1

46 posts in this topic

Every time this Pence/Cents conversation comes up I get more interested in Pence copies.

Pence copies will have their day. Come on Brits lead the charge on this.

And CGC..... how about having a "Bring out your dead Pence" promotion where you do a 33% off grading/slabbing that's good only on pence copies. That might bring a few more Pence copies out of the woodwork.

I rather keep my X-Men 1 in Mylar so I can, if I want to read the book (novel idea) rather than a plastic coffin.

gaz973, Why are there so few pence copies slabbed by CGC? Is it because Brits don't want to risk shipping them overseas? Or is it because they really are super rare comics.

Another way I should ask this is.... Do you see a lot of "raw" pence copies in the UK? Of key issues?

When you look at the CGC census for AF15 it shows 32 UK copies and 2246 US copies.

That's 1 UK graded copy for every 72 US graded copies.

With the highest grade being a 7.0 (my copy... woohoo)

For Hulk 1 it's 24 UK slabs and 1134 US slabs.

That boils down to 1 UK graded copy for every 47 US copies.

With the highest UK grade being a 6.5

Xmen 1= 37UK - 2930US

FF 1 = 7UK - 1515US

TTA27 = 7UK - 634US

JIM83 = 13UK - 1166US

A couple of reasons really. Firstly there is less of a stabbing culture in the UK than in the US which combined with it being a bit more expensive, means that people just aren't motivated to slab them.

Secondly, I believe that there was also less of a collecting culture in the UK than the US, particularly back when these keys were being printed meaning that less people cared for their comics leading to a lower percentage of higher grade copies on an already low percentage of the print run.

This is the result of stricter gun laws. People can't shoot each other nearly as easily as Americans so they resort to the next best thing-- a good, proper stabbing.

It's science.

lol

Every time this Pence/Cents conversation comes up I get more interested in Pence copies.

Pence copies will have their day. Come on Brits lead the charge on this.

And CGC..... how about having a "Bring out your dead Pence" promotion where you do a 33% off grading/slabbing that's good only on pence copies. That might bring a few more Pence copies out of the woodwork.

I rather keep my X-Men 1 in Mylar so I can, if I want to read the book (novel idea) rather than a plastic coffin.

I only entomb my high dollar books because I am a naturally very awkward individual. lol

-J.