• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your GA '05 collecting goals

63 posts in this topic

So I'm curious, what are you all shooting for in '05? I spent some time putting together a list of my top goals, then cutting back on goals, and finally here's what I'm come up with. Of course, there's no way I could afford all of this stuff in just one year, but here's what I'm looking for if it comes my way and I'm able to afford it. I'm particularly excited about goals "1" and "2," as these are both new ventures for me and wouldn't be "add-ons" to things I'm already working on.

1) 1 comic from the 1930's in VF or better (any style book)

2) a Gerber 9 in GD- or better, any style comic, but it must be complete (I'm not mad enough to look for parts for Gerber 9s!)

3) Nice looking low or midgrade More Fun Spectre Covers

4)Nice looking All-Stars in various grades, depending on eye appeal

5) 50's highgrade giveaways, particularly those about anti-communism, drugs, and sex

6) Haunt of Fears in VF/NM or better

7) Continue on my longterm goal of 100 pre-code horror comics in strict VF or better (currently 1/5th of the way there)

To fund these goals I'll be selling off about 90% of my HG bronze throughout this year, as the going is good on those books right now and I really don't think I'll miss 'em much, especially if I can replace 'em with a Gerber 9! insane.gif

Looking forward to hearing you all pipe in with your '05 quests!

I was able to pick up a few books that I really wanted to add to my collection in 2004: Weird Mysteries #5, Voodoo Annual #1, Weird Tales of the Future #7, and Weird Mysteries #2.

My goals are simple for 2005:

1. Continue adding issues of Haunted Thrills in about Fine condition.

2. Continue adding issues of Weird Mysteries in VG condition.

3. Continue adding lurid classic cover, pre-code horror books in roughly VG condition.

4. Keep my eyes open for opportunities to buy Captain America Weird Tales #74 and #75 in my price range.

I'd like to complete a low-grade run of Comic Cavalcade from #4 to #29, currently missing a half dozen issues along the way. With the upcoming release of the DC Comic Cavalcade Archives, I'm okay to cross off #1 and #2 from my want list, and would consider making my copy of #3 available for trade. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Always on the lookout for a couple of reasonably-priced PLOD More Fun Comics issues with a Spectre cover and a full-helmet Dr. Fate cover. Ditto an Adventure Comics with a cover featuring the original version of Sandman.

Simple enough:

Finish off my mid to high grade EC Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales runs, and then make some more headway into the Crime SuspenStories and Shock SuspenStories runs.

I hope to pick up some Gaines File Copies while I am at it.

I plan to pick up high grade copies of very early Cap keys with slight professional restoration

Also, want to start buying for my GA Cap collection.. probably won't happen though.

Brian

Last I knew, Capital City Comics in Madison, WI still had some GA Caps.

A VG or better copy of Headline #8

More Schomburg War covers - inc. at least one Hitler cover.

More esoteric giveaways - VD, anti-communist, tuna fisherman

A cool Fox Lou Fine cover in G-VG

A 3.0-4.5 copy of All-Winners 19

A 2.0-4.0 copy of Captain America 46

Some more VG Jack Cole Web of Evils on the cheap

Upgrade my Weird Tales of the Future 8

Fill the marijuana Romance holes in my collection

Pick up some more cool cheap pre-code war (i.e. flamethrower covers)

Oh yeah, and stumble across a VG Adventure 79 that someone is foolishly selling for guide

laugh.gif

If I make it half through this list I'll be happy.

tuna fisherman? Rj, tell me what that one's all about...

And I'd love to hear more about this "marijuana romance" collection of yers, too..

Manuel Pacifico, Tuna Fisherman is a classic, and supposedly 4 different issues exist - unfortunately I have no issues in my collection.

As for marijuana romance - there are half a dozen or so Romance comics with marijuana stories in them, of which I'm missing 2 or 3. One I highly recommend is Realistic Romances #16 - which has an incredibly boring cover, but great stories, including an excellent Kinstler marijuana story reprinted from Romantic Love #6. Most of the other stories are about good girls gone bad - of course they all find true love and redemption in the end - sort of "happy ending" versions of all those pre-code crime "bad girl" stories, but without all the stabbing and shooting.

Thanks for the lead, were they 6.0 or better? (forgot to mention that's the range I'm lookin for)

Brian

A few were, if I recall correctly. Of course, because I got to hold Cap #1 in my hands that day, my memory may be a bit fuzzy...

In any event, Bruce (the owner) is a very accurate grader, so a call should get you all of the answers.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

My goal for 2005 is to collect EVERY TIMELY COMIC EVER PRINTED! , not just one of each issue, but every single copy ever printed! sumo.gif

I want them all to myself !

Buh, ha, ha, ha !!! devil.gif

P.S.: And to get some more Catman Comics in G/VG to Fine condition. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

yay.gif

My goal for 2005 is to collect EVERY TIMELY COMIC EVER PRINTED! , not just one of each issue, but every single copy ever printed! sumo.gif

I want them all to myself !

Buh, ha, ha, ha !!! devil.gif

P.S.: And to get some more Catman Comics in G/VG to Fine condition. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

yay.gif

Dude you are [#@$%!!!] unless you have a time machine. Every copy ever PRINTED, so many destroyed that I'm affraid there are going to be many New Adventure 26's for you my friend.