• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The essence of cool

68 posts in this topic

I think a book is cool if A) it's something you don't see every day AND B) the cover artist has done something a little unusual and it works. For instance, I bought this book because when I saw it I thought, "cool cover." The heat-seeking missile makes the background part of the action, and the baddie is rather fantastic.

SilverS11.jpg

There are other covers that are better in some ways that don't register as "cool" with me just because I see them so often.

How often do we post the comment "That's a cool book."?

What makes a book cool?

To me it's some combination of aesthetics and rarity.

And are we by association cool if we think so?

Yes, absolutely! Only philistines fail to appreciate the coolness of cool books.

:preach:

What makes a book cool? And are we by association cool if we think so?

Is a book cool because it's rare? Under appreciated? Both? Or something ineffable?

Cool questions! (thumbs u

captain_satan_193806.jpg

"Well! Somebody sometime thought this would be a "cool" concept for nice young men to peruse. Imagine! A machine-gun blasting "hero" obviously inspired by the Dark Lord himself... presented as a dashing figure to lure in young impressionable readers. But I simply can't imagine who would could have published it. Unless... just a thought, of course... but... is it just possible... it might have been, oh, I don't know... SATAN!!!"

0f5aaa2514466b7f58657e862eb64aa3.jpg

captain_satan_193806.jpg

"Well! Somebody sometime thought this would be a "cool" concept for nice young men to peruse. Imagine! A machine-gun blasting "hero" obviously inspired by the Dark Lord himself... presented as a dashing figure to lure in young impressionable readers. But I simply can't imagine who would could have published it. Unless... just a thought, of course... but... is it just possible... it might have been, oh, I don't know... SATAN!!!"

0f5aaa2514466b7f58657e862eb64aa3.jpg

So - cool as hell?

What makes a book cool?

To me it's some combination of aesthetics and rarity.

And are we by association cool if we think so?

Yes, absolutely! Only philistines fail to appreciate the coolness of cool books.

:preach:

a suggestion......

151068.jpg.aa6e7507e9a42c40799ed654bd2a1357.jpg

Is a book cool because it's rare? Under appreciated? Both? Or something ineffable?

IMHO, a cool book is simply one that I really dig; no other factors are involved.

2ez30vs.jpg[/img]

funny36_zpsd82e88cc.jpg

My favorite COOL element of this picture is the gargoyle chair. I want one.