• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I'm heading to my first Con in 20 years & I have Questions !!!

28 posts in this topic

I'm really excited about going to Reno Comicon this weekend. I've actually had tix since Christmas of last year ! :) "A gift from the wife" Knowing that IM really only going to get 1 good day in "looks like I might have to work on Sunday" I had a few questions for maximizing my time.

1st I know I plan to hit the dealers up and CGC's Booth up. I've never comfortable mailing books so I plan on just doing the turn in at the con. "I do not believe they are doing onsite grading anyway" Ill list the books I plan on having graded below. My question for this section is Can I pay at the Con? or do they Bill me after the fact. It kind of matters for my Christmas budget. Any notes I need to prepare ahead of time? for instance I'm bringing a copy of DWOTN 47 with me. Its the first appearance of Singapore Sal. I would have expected CGC to know that but its not listed on the label of the only copy I've seen graded& I'd like it to be" Any thought or notes about dealing with CGC's booth would be great :)

2nd I have no intention of standing in lines to meet the "Stars" of the con. doesn't seem worth it to waste half the day just for a signature or pic. I plan on spending my day terrorizing any vendor that brings golden age books :) !!! So with that in mind, Cash or credit? I would MUCH rather bring card to protect myself from thieves ect than walk around with a grand or so in cash. Are dealers usually capable of running cards at cons?

3 Since its been so long since I have been to a real Con feel free to toss any advice you might have out there. I am always open to suggestions

4: any advice for bringing books to the con? I'm am a smidge worried about bringing them. How do you package your books when you go?

Thanks and I apologize if that came across as rambling :)

Griff

Oh I plan to ! and ill post pics :) !!

Here are a few of the books I plan on bringing

DWOTN 31 "only 2 graded"

3494g3m.jpg

DWOTN 47 "only 2 graded"

54ss3s.jpg

X-men 94 "I think I will get more for it graded when I sell it"

209q8e8.jpg

The Black Terror #12

13zbps8.jpg

Startling Comics

2zjaknq.jpg

Americas best Comics

i43e6r.jpg

You may do better by just selling the X-Men 94 as a raw copy compared to getting it graded. The $30 grading cost will pretty much eat up any potential increase in sale price.

1) Can I pay at the Con? or do they Bill me after the fact. It kind of matters for my Christmas budget.

2( Any notes I need to prepare ahead of time? for instance I'm bringing a copy of DWOTN 47 with me. Its the first appearance of Singapore Sal.

3) Cash or credit?

4) Since its been so long since I have been to a real Con feel free to toss any advice you might have out there. I am always open to suggestions

5) any advice for bringing books to the con? I'm am a smidge worried about bringing them. How do you package your books when you go?

Griff

Hey Griff

1) When dropping off at CGC's booth you either pay up front (cash, MO) or you can leave them charge card information and the card will be charged when the books are received back in FLA

2) Just ask the CGC folks about special notations. Write the ones you want notated down and go over them with the staff. They'll fill you in on the viability of it being on the label.

3) Most dealers are setup to take CC. Have a care though. It may be prudent, if you have a few charge cards, to leave some home in case you get the comic convention fever! Maybe take an extra couple of hundred in cash. Don't put it in your wallet. Just a front pants pocket.

4) Wear your most comfortable shoes. Beware even if it is cold outside it can get warm inside with all the people. So dress accordingly. Maybe a sweater and a light jacket you can remove it it starts getting too hot. Shower. To combat the too frequent BO of others, bring a jar of Vick's Vapo Rub and rub some under your nose when needed (like they did in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS at the autopsy).

5) Make sure your books are bagged and boarded. For the ones you are bringing to CGC maybe wrap some bubble wrap around them. Then use something like a thick laptop case you can sling over your shoulder and resting on the opposite hip. Make you more maneuverable (people using backpack are a pain) and after you drop your books off the case can be used to house your new acquisitions.

Also bring some extra bags and boards with you. Notate the name/number of the dealer you bought books from in case there are some issues like discovering a missing page etc. Sometimes receipts are non-existent or just indicate dollar amounts.

You may do better by just selling the X-Men 94 as a raw copy compared to getting it graded. The $30 grading cost will pretty much eat up any potential increase in sale price.

super agree with this. good advise.

Hi Giff, hope you have a great time.

Most dealers take credit card but you may be able to drive a slightly better deal when paying cash. Honestly, unless you're hauling a box with the words $10k CASH written on each end it's unlikely you'll get robbed. There's lots of cash in the room and I suspect you're not carrying enough to stick out.

When buying at a show I take my laptop case. It's padded, it has a strap to hold the laptop - fits comics well, and it's easy to carry.

Consider taking some duplicates or books you no longer want to trade. If you have any CA keys that are hot you'll get good value for them right now.

All great advice except for the pay sticker price -who does that!

I'd also suggest:

1. Hit the cgc booth first, lately they've been reaching their max limit earlier and earlier. Besides it frees up your load so you don't have to lug the comics around while shopping.

2. Always bring cash and 2 credit cards. I like to do $1k but at least $200-500 as it makes negotiations easier and can get at least a 10% discount off the bat. Stuff in your front pocket with keys or bulky padded wallet on top. If it takes you 10 min to pull out the cash, you are safe.

3. Laptop bags are good but I also like stuffing a slender cardboard box inside to protect minty comics.

4. If you are lugging a shortbox of comics for grading I recommend a mini pull cart. The ones that fold out. They can be had for $15.

5. Bring a good cellphone charger or battery backup.

6. Bring your own bottled water and tuck it way down in your bag or your crotch. Eat outside as prices for concessions are ridiculous!

7. Be nice to the cgc folks.

1) Can I pay at the Con? or do they Bill me after the fact. It kind of matters for my Christmas budget.

2( Any notes I need to prepare ahead of time? for instance I'm bringing a copy of DWOTN 47 with me. Its the first appearance of Singapore Sal.

3) Cash or credit?

4) Since its been so long since I have been to a real Con feel free to toss any advice you might have out there. I am always open to suggestions

5) any advice for bringing books to the con? I'm am a smidge worried about bringing them. How do you package your books when you go?

Griff

Hey Griff

1) When dropping off at CGC's booth you either pay up front (cash, MO) or you can leave them charge card information and the card will be charged when the books are received back in FLA

2) Just ask the CGC folks about special notations. Write the ones you want notated down and go over them with the staff. They'll fill you in on the viability of it being on the label.

3) Most dealers are setup to take CC. Have a care though. It may be prudent, if you have a few charge cards, to leave some home in case you get the comic convention fever! Maybe take an extra couple of hundred in cash. Don't put it in your wallet. Just a front pants pocket.

4) Wear your most comfortable shoes. Beware even if it is cold outside it can get warm inside with all the people. So dress accordingly. Maybe a sweater and a light jacket you can remove it it starts getting too hot. Shower. To combat the too frequent BO of others, bring a jar of Vick's Vapo Rub and rub some under your nose when needed (like they did in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS at the autopsy).

5) Make sure your books are bagged and boarded. For the ones you are bringing to CGC maybe wrap some bubble wrap around them. Then use something like a thick laptop case you can sling over your shoulder and resting on the opposite hip. Make you more maneuverable (people using backpack are a pain) and after you drop your books off the case can be used to house your new acquisitions.

Also bring some extra bags and boards with you. Notate the name/number of the dealer you bought books from in case there are some issues like discovering a missing page etc. Sometimes receipts are non-existent or just indicate dollar amounts.

Cash discounts are usually better than Credit Card.

DON'T set your backpack or briefcase down without keeping a good eye on it.

Take some pics for those of us who can't go.

Have fun.

.......................................GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks Mike, I have been collecting them for a while now. "you can read my blog/journal on that here" http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8004138&fpart=1

I invested in a cheapo laptop bag. I am surprised how nice books fit in it ! :) I appreciate that advice :)

Budget wise I am bringing about 250 in cash and 1 credit card "So I don't go too over board"

I will be sure to hit CGC's booth first thing and get my books turned in. I'm thinking it may be worth registering with them for a PREMIUM membership. that would knock out 4 of my books right off the top :) "I wonder if they sell the premium packages at comicon ?'

My goals for the Con are to pick up 1 Schomburg "A timely would be lovely but may be out of my league. if not a Nedor/Standard book would work"

I also hope to pick up a few more Don Winslow of the Navy books. I am not sure how many Golden age dealers are coming though so this may not be viable. "Honestly who is going to lug DWOTN books around vice a more popular hero like batman or Superman"

Here is a list of venders coming I only see A-1 comics and Cloud9 as possible golden age dealers.

http://www.expocad.com/host/fx/wizardworld/14reno/default.html

All great advice except for the pay sticker price -who does that!

I'd also suggest:

1. Hit the cgc booth first, lately they've been reaching their max limit earlier and earlier. Besides it frees up your load so you don't have to lug the comics around while shopping.

CGC doesn't have a "max limit" on the number of books they take at shows - what you're thinking about is slots for on-site grading (which is limited to the materials CGC brought to the show), but even at on-site shows CGC will take an unlimited amount of books for regular service back in Florida.

I will be sure to hit CGC's booth first thing and get my books turned in. I'm thinking it may be worth registering with them for a PREMIUM membership. that would knock out 4 of my books right off the top :) "I wonder if they sell the premium packages at comicon ?'

They don't - you need to sign up for the collector's society membership online.

Also - the premium membership comes with a coupon for 4 free subs, but that coupon is mailed to you after you've signed up. If the show you're going to is this weekend, the coupon won't reach you in time ...