• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing in Action (CGCs Stolen)

44 posts in this topic

During my move someone walked off with a short box of CGC Green Lantern comics. My numbers one through 100… You can see the comics they stole on my registry page. This was the pride and joy of my collection and I am hoping that all of you would be willing to keep an eye out for these comics.

I know that this is an impossible feat, but if anyone comes across any of these comics please let me know.

Im curious, how does someone walk off with a short box of CGC books during a move. Was a moving company involved? Did you leave them outside unattended?

If you have any photos of the comics, especially the valuable ones, make them available to anybody who suspects they have a stolen copy so they can check for tell-tale crease lines or other identifying marks.

FYI, the books are in his registry with photos. These are all very high graded copies. I would contact CGC directly in case anyone sends in a large group of Green Lanterns to be graded. I am very sorry this has happened to you. It was a very nice collection, I would be devastated.

Also, give the local shops a call to be on the look out. I know Victory Comics is always buying. This person is probably trying to flip them quick.

You could always make a WTB post on CL that you are paying top dollar for early GL issues. Maybe the thief will come right to your door or the parking garage at Tysons Corner.

Getting side tracked here people. :sumo:

Whether it was miscommunicated or not, let us not sweat the 'semantics' when the guy was ripped off, that is the issue here and he is just trying to let his fellow collectors know and possibly get word out so that they might be recovered :wishluck: ...

Excuse me, but its not semantics. I was simply questioning the size of the haul. In the OP, 100 slabs to me seems to be quite a load to walk down the street with. I just wanted to know further details. Knowing now its really a short box and a far cry from 100 slabs, well then yes someone could have walked off with them. I was thinking a car had to be used. Therefore a neighbor/witness could be out there, tire tracks, or some other evidence of the suspect on the property.

OP anything else missing? Place been dusted for prints?

I would definitely talk to neighbors

How do you reconstruct this crime? Break in? Door left unlocked? How long were comics unattended? Night or day? Rain? Were other things taken? Can cops tell you if rash of break ins in which case inexperienced comic thief-may not know comic shops alerted-or was it a targeted comic theft and maybe someone known to you?

Were other boxes of less valuable slabs left in which case perpetrator may understand comics market.

How do you reconstruct this crime? Break in? Door left unlocked? How long were comics unattended? Night or day? Rain? Were other things taken? Can cops tell you if rash of break ins in which case inexperienced comic thief-may not know comic shops alerted-or was it a targeted comic theft and maybe someone known to you?

Were other boxes of less valuable slabs left in which case perpetrator may understand comics market.

I'm with Kav on this, just what were the circumstances surrounding this alleged theft? When and where did you last see them and when and where did you notice they were missing? How much time had passed and who can vouch for seeing or handling them last and so on?

I'm with Kav on this, just what were the circumstances surrounding this alleged theft? When and where did you last see them and when and where did you notice they were missing? How much time had passed and who can vouch for seeing or handling them last and so on?

I'm sure the relevant details have already been discussed with the police. Sorry dude, hope you get them back. A nosebleed GL 76 is certain to draw attention, though, so you've got plenty going for you.

Last year I bought some books from another board member including one slabbed book.

USPS left the books on my door step where they were stolen.

I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt so the books were taken over a week before I contacted the seller to determine that they had been sent and tracked to my front door.

As soon as I was aware that the books had been taken I checked Craigslist and ebay. When I found the same book with the same grade on ebay I was able to confirm with the seller that the CGC number matched the book he had sent.

It turns out that the thieves approached the owner of my LCS who bought the slab and passed on the raw books. While the thieves were never caught and the raw books were not recovered I was able to recover the slabbed book from my LCS,

My advice is to scour the internet for your books. Check Craigslist, ebay, Comic Connect, Comic Link, Heritage, etc. Even if the thief sells the books they have unique identifying numbers. Sure they could be cracked out of the cases but people are greedy and cracking the cases devalues the books.

I was protected through Paypal but if I had spent one dollar less signature confirmation would not have been required (better to be lucky than good). I did the seller and myself a huge favor by recovering the slabbed book as it represented over 75% of the total price of the shipment.

Make police report

Keep an eye on Craigs list and ebay

Contact comic shops

recent stolen comics were recovered using this method

If you see it on CL contact police or if you are a bold person meet them with back up and citizens arrest.

If you see one on ebay contact ebay or maybe buy one, get home address for police.

How were they stolen exactly? The more info I have the better I can help.

You do realize this is exactly why OJ is serving life in prison, no?

He tried to recover his own items, held the people who had them until the cops arrived and ended up getting charged with kidnapping.