• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From the stash....

48 posts in this topic

Entry #1

Superman: Man of Steel #18 all prints and a 9.9

Hello, guys and girls. I just wanted showcase a few books. Figured if I start a journal then they can all be kept organized and easy to go through.

I'll start this off with all 5 prints MOS18 (including a newsstand first) and a 9.9. I picked up the 9.9 from Foolkiller, the 5th print from Thanos88, the 3rd and 4th from Paper Airplane (sup Billy!!) and the rest I picked up in the wild, raw and subbed. A year ago this book was on fire.....oh what a difference a year can make lol. When it was on fire though it really made finding all the various prints a lot easier than I thought it would be. Enjoy!!

16134.jpg

See more journals by amnesiac

Great first entry, amnesiac!

I'm looking forward to updates. I like this book but I only have the first print, I'm impressed with your display.

A year ago this book was on fire.....oh what a difference a year can make lol. When it was on fire though it really made finding all the various prints a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I started a thread in the Copper forum last year about MOS #17 & 18 because I was surprised at the then upsurge in price. When I started the thread, I figured it would get a few responses but then it would die down after a page or two of posts. To my surprise, the thread has almost 50 pages of posts.

Congratulations on completing this set of yours, I'm also glade to hear you found a few of these in the wild.

Brandon

Thanks guys!!!

Congratulations on completing this set of yours, I'm also glade to hear you found a few of these in the wild.

Brandon

I actually have quite a few raws (50+) sitting in a medium sized priority box. Might of been able to pull print 3, 4 and 5 out of my raws, but when I had a chance to score them already slabbed I couldnt pass them up. I've made that mistake before :)

Entry #2

G. I. Joe #21 Foil Renegar Edition

This is actually one of my favorite books. I picked up 2 copies of this book back in 03 while I was on a temporary assignment to Biloxi, Mississippi. Shortly after I took a long break from collecting.

Around 2013 I got back into the hobby and decided to send one of my raws in to get slabbed. Now this was before I had heard of pressing so I was happy enough when it came back 9.6. After stumbling onto a couple threads about how much a press can do for a book I dug this back out and decided it was worth giving it a shot and sent it in to CCS all by its lonesome for a squish and slab. To my amazement the presswork got a grade bump to 9.8!!!

This is probably THE book that changed the way I look at raws when I pick them up. Before G.I. Joe #21 I looked at what condition a raw book was in before I bought it. Now I look at what a raw book CAN be.

GIJoe21Banner_zps534b2943.jpg

Entry #3

Iron Fist #14

As a teen I was a huge Wolvie fan (who wasnt in the 80s/90s). Unfortunately, my job flipping burgers only made enough for me to get the new stuff. I can remember lots of weekend trips to the LCS staring at the glass case, waiting for my chance to own this book.

Cool side note: this book came out on my birth month and year :D

Scan-130306-00053_zps1125c2ca.jpg

Entry #4

Conan #1

This book was probably my first big comic purchase. Thanks to Steve for the sweet sweet copy. Always been a big fan of BWS. His version of Wolverine has always been my favorite (more on that in a future entry).

Scan-130307-0011_zps038f6539.jpg

Entry #5

Akira #1

One of my favorite movies is Akira. I was lucky enough to be given a VHS copy when I was 13 years old way back in winter of 1991 and it has remained in my top 5 movie list ever since. I had always wanted to read the monthly manga that it was based on, but back then Japanese media was NOT easy to come by. Kinda crazy to think about given its ubiquity now.

After reading the Dark Horse reissues back in 2000 I decided then that eventually I would try to pick up the entire set of the Epic/Marvel releases. Well......

Scan-141120-0007_zpsb0dc976f.jpg

.......it begins.

Otomo was scheduled to be in SD either two or three years ago. I was super stoked and had an Akira out there waiting for him. He cancelled really late. I really hope he comes stateside sometime. It is a groundbreaking series.

Wow I didnt even know he did shows. Akira had such a profound affect on me having seen it so young and really changed what I expected from a movie going forth. I would love to just see Otomo and shake his hand, but to get a couple sigs too.......... :cloud9:

Entry #6

Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD #1

Always wanted to pull all the Steranko covers into a set and will eventually get to it someday. For now I have the #4 and this bad boy.

I love this book, but it makes me kinda sad every time I look at it. When I picked it up I had to choose between it and a Doctor Strange #169 for maybe $300 less. Right now you could probably still pick up a copy of this book for more or less the same price but the DS169 is nowhere to be seen for how much it sold for in winter of 2012. It's not like I feel bad because I missed the opportunity to make some cashola (I would never sell either book) but now I have to wait just that much longer for DS169 to get back down to a reasonable price, if it ever does. Oh well, what can you do???

Scan-130306-0033_zps5d9751f3.jpg

I love this book, but it makes me kinda sad every time I look at it. When I picked it up I had to choose between it and a Doctor Strange #169 for maybe $300 less. Right now you could probably still pick up a copy of this book for more or less the same price but the DS169 is nowhere to be seen for how much it sold for in winter of 2012.

You made a good choice.

Besides the title of the thread is "From the stash" not "the cash". :baiting: