• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transparency issue

21 posts in this topic

I was going through some of my books that I have seen in awhile and found a few with some transparency. Most common for ones with white covers front and back. I also have a Hulk 377 green cover where the whole green is transparent.

Is this common?

Dark Hawk #1 exmple where the white portion of the Dark Hawk is transparent.

DarkHawk1misc_zpsf1821c6a.jpg

Yes, it's common, especially in the type of inner well that puts pressure on the book, as in your example. If the book is removed from the well, the pressure is relieved, and the cover "goes back" to not being transparent. It isn't a problem, in and of itself.

Yes, it's common, especially in the type of inner well that puts pressure on the book, as in your example. If the book is removed from the well, the pressure is relieved, and the cover "goes back" to not being transparent. It isn't a problem, in and of itself.

To add to this, when you put a microchamber paper in the book, the see-through is much more apparent because of the whiteness of the sheet. Totally normal.

To add to this, when you put a microchamber paper in the book, the see-through is much more apparent because of the whiteness of the sheet. Totally normal.

This too.

Do they make Black micro chamber paper? That might help

I figured it was the paper is so thin as well as the light color versus the darker color would bleed through visually.

Thanks everybody.

Comics were made with cheap inks. The inks sometimes separate (meaning the ink slowly separates from the inks in the interior cover and slightly leeches into the covers making them slightly more transparent.

The combination of white interleaving paper (which is necessary to separate interiors from covers), slightly translucent cover due to oil content, thin cover stock and the plastic case pressing on the cover all combine to creating this effect.

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

I figured it was the paper is so thin as well as the light color versus the darker color would bleed through visually.

Thanks everybody.

Comics were made with cheap inks. The inks sometimes separate (meaning the ink slowly separates from the inks in the interior cover and slightly leeches into the covers making them slightly more transparent.

The combination of white interleaving paper (which is necessary to separate interiors from covers), slightly translucent cover due to oil content, thin cover stock and the plastic case pressing on the cover all combine to creating this effect.

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Also...too much sizing on the paper will turn paper transparent, and there are degrees of this. Sizing is a gelatinous material that is used in paper to make it less susceptible to bleed when wet ink is applied, so that the ink sits on the surface of the paper while it dries. Sizing, in high enough strength, will turn paper completely transparent.

That's why some books have transparent tendencies even without pressure.