• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to buy Golden age Timely?

24 posts in this topic

I am looking to expand my collection of Marvel to the Golden age Timely (Captain 2-10), All Winners etc and have found it hard to find a good dealer with a wide variety. IOutside of Heritage, Ebay, ComicConnect, ComicLink- which online dealers would you recommend? I am looking to pay fair prices and just having trouble finding the right dealer. I appreciate the help from one collector to another

I am looking to expand my collection of Marvel to the Golden age Timely (Captain 2-10), All Winners etc and have found it hard to find a good dealer with a wide variety. IOutside of Heritage, Ebay, ComicConnect, ComicLink- which online dealers would you recommend? I am looking to pay fair prices and just having trouble finding the right dealer. I appreciate the help from one collector to another

I'd concur 100% with Peter & RHG's recommendations for Gator & Bedrock. Both those guys are straight-shooters. (thumbs u

Note: I have many of the books you're seeking in grade, but investment grade prices aren't for the faint of heart. smiley-shocked015.gif

5f64471e-4570-4bd3-a1e3-5c001fcf43aa_zpsf227a13a.jpg

It is very hard to find a wide selection of these books for a few reasons.

They aren't super common.

They sell fast.

So unless you hit someone at the right time when they just get a collection in it really comes down to timing and being lucky. There are plenty of other dealer that have a few of those books here and there (I have had several in the past myself) but it is just a matter of timing more then anything else.

James G

It is very hard to find a wide selection of these books for a few reasons.

They aren't super common.

They sell fast.

So unless you hit someone at the right time when they just get a collection in it really comes down to timing and being lucky. There are plenty of other dealer that have a few of those books here and there (I have had several in the past myself) but it is just a matter of timing more then anything else.

James G

The absolute truth. :headbang:

Appreciate the feedback! I figured Timely comics were that case where there are few and move quick. I have collected comics for 15 years on and off going through phases. In last year Or two I got back into it a later age (29- probably real young for here), and started going after the Marvel silver age keys I wanted in past with Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, X-Men 1, TAles to Astonish 27, and a few others. Now I am turning my attention to Timely comics, due to the beauty in the artwork, the rarity and simply the history. Thought maybe I would start a thread of my TimelyFinds and mission to collect 1-10 of Captain America and touch into other Timely comics. Only problem the thread would only be interesting once every month or so (or maybe not at all to most.) but anyways, happy hunting and thanks to all how lend a piece of advice in a thread like this- much appreciated!

Appreciate the feedback! I figured Timely comics were that case where there are few and move quick. I have collected comics for 15 years on and off going through phases. In last year Or two I got back into it a later age (29- probably real young for here), and started going after the Marvel silver age keys I wanted in past with Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, X-Men 1, TAles to Astonish 27, and a few others. Now I am turning my attention to Timely comics, due to the beauty in the artwork, the rarity and simply the history. Thought maybe I would start a thread of my TimelyFinds and mission to collect 1-10 of Captain America and touch into other Timely comics. Only problem the thread would only be interesting once every month or so (or maybe not at all to most.) but anyways, happy hunting and thanks to all how lend a piece of advice in a thread like this- much appreciated!

..... 29 is not too young. I've been 29 for almost 30 years now. You could post your newest pieces here in THIS thread..... we'd all love to be kept up to date. One thing about Timely....... it is not a niche market suited to the bargain shopper. If you see one and it's a little high, it will soon be gone and the next one will probably be more. PQ of White or OW/W will usually be worth the extra. Auctions are often the only recourse for certain high demand issues. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Time payments can be your friend....

If you get desperate enough to pay a fortune, you might be able to talk me out of my All Winners #8... lol I don't collect Timely, but i have a few laying around.

..... 29 is not too young. I've been 29 for almost 30 years now. You could post your newest pieces here in THIS thread..... we'd all love to be kept up to date. One thing about Timely....... it is not a niche market suited to the bargain shopper. If you see one and it's a little high, it will soon be gone and the next one will probably be more. PQ of White or OW/W will usually be worth the extra. Auctions are often the only recourse for certain high demand issues. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Time payments can be your friend....

+1 I'm 31 and have a great appreciation for the Timelys myself...so many cool books...I would agree they aren't for the faint of heart as these books seem to have a deep and loyal following...I too would enjoy following your acquisitions even if they are few and far between...sharing them just makes it more fun!! good luck and have fun in your quest!! Cap 1-10 would be an amazing accomplishment!! (thumbs u

Appreciate the support, My goal is to acquire one a month minimum and will gladly share my finds with you all. I could just empty pockets but my wife may not agree where the money went. I typically resell various stuff and with that money buy my comics. This is how I obtained those key comics mentioned before and have a little nest to start my timely keys. My first goal is a Captain America first 10 issues. The reason (as I'm sure most know) is 3-10 had Simon, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee working on those comics. The history and the art of those covers are truly touching. First first 10 I want to go for at least 3.0 (may be 2.0 for #1 or #2.) but again, thanks to all the support and always here to lend a hand if anyway I can

Appreciate the support, My goal is to acquire one a month minimum and will gladly share my finds with you all. I could just empty pockets but my wife may not agree where the money went. I typically resell various stuff and with that money buy my comics. This is how I obtained those key comics mentioned before and have a little nest to start my timely keys. My first goal is a Captain America first 10 issues. The reason (as I'm sure most know) is 3-10 had Simon, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee working on those comics. The history and the art of those covers are truly touching. First first 10 I want to go for at least 3.0 (may be 2.0 for #1 or #2.) but again, thanks to all the support and always here to lend a hand if anyway I can

Great post. And wish you the very best with the quest! (thumbs u

I love your idea of collecting the first 10 Captain America issues! I collected a 1-13 run of Fantastic Four in 2012 and just finished a 1-10 run of Amazing Spider-Man this year.

Just some further thoughts, Cap 1-10 are not rare books. They are actaully some of the most common issues in the run, so I would suggest you find a copy you like and not just buy the first one that shows up at your door. 1 and 3 are uncommon because of the demand. 2 is a bit rarer then the others, but I am sure there are multiple examples of the rest of the books on ebay in various grades.

Good luck with the run its great stuff and I think the biggest challenge will be the 3 and 1.

James G