• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men Omnibus vol. 1

31 posts in this topic

Some of the more obscure characters stay out of print, but I can't imagine that X-Men Vol 1 won't come back into print in time. It's happened to most of the pricier OOP volumes, and X-Men being X-men, it seems pretty likely.

Marvel has made it pretty clear they don't want to promote characters whose movie rights they don't own. So I'd say it's not so certain that they will be reprinting this any time soon.

Didn't they just reprint some big books like Uncanny X-men (from Giant size to issue 130 or something) last year.

There's still hope!

At the end of the day, Marvel will print what sells and makes money for them. So if they think there's demand for something I would be willing to bet they'll print it....

They don't want to make action figure since a portion goes to Fox. Comic and TPB money goes all to them.

Is X-Men Omnibus volume 2 worth reading or is it the . I liked the later Adams stuff but I can imagine the stories before that which doomed the book into reprint hell for years.

There is a Masterworks volume that reprints just the Adams issues, along with the preceding intro of Alex Summers, issues 54 to 66.

Yeah I had considered going that route. All the masterworks are in print except 2 which I can't believe what people are bidding it up to...it's going to get reprinted. 1 is out of print but the new edition is already available for preorder.

I read the entire silver age 66-issue run of X-Men last summer. I thought the early issues with Lee and Kirby were decent in their campy way. Actually 12-13 were very entertaining with Juggernaut breaking his way into the mansion. 14-16 seemed pretty important setting up the Sentinels and their ongoing hunting of the mutants. Good early setup.

Later, some of the Adams issues in the 50s range were fairly entertaining. Other than that, I found most of the run to be fairly difficult to get through. As a big X-Men fan, I wanted to get that silver age run read, and I did. But I won't be rereading it other than maybe a couple of important issues here or there.

My personal X-Men stories wheelhouse is from about 101 through about 173 (and I would include the Wolverine 4-part mini and God Loves, Man Kills (MGN5) in that run).

Thanks for the input. I am worried about struggling through them. Maybe I'll just stick to a few of the masterworks. I feel like once I got into the 20's I might be in for a world of hurt not to mention the original X-Men themselves I don't care for and their powers are pretty weak. At least by X-Factor Archangel could do damage and Beast looked mean.

X-Mens in the 20s through 50s were brutal. Werner Roth just wasn't a super hero artist, and they had a revolving door of writers (Arnold Drake, Roy Thomas, Gary Friedrich) who were just going through the motions.

Some of the covers were good, and I like the back-up origin stories. But overall, this really was the worst Marvel hero book of the mid-60s.

Oh yeah, 20s on (other than some in the 50s) really are pretty rough. My fanaticism of the X-Men was not increased by my reading of most of those issues. And I, like you, really don't care much for the O5, or at least certainly not their silver age iteration. I don't want to outright suggest that you skip reading this stuff, but, well, be forewarned. ;)

Read them for what they are. They're a piece of comics history, and you can certainly enjoy them. Just don't expect the Lee/Kirby/Ditko/Colan/Heck stuff that was so much better.

I have all the Masterworks that reprint #s 1-66. Even though some of the stories are weak I am a completest and have to have all of them. I'm glad they came out with these though. Back in the early 80s I had 90% of #10-175. Since I can't get these back I have enjoyed the Masterworks and do recommend them.

Also, Amazon is another great place to look for Masterworks and Omnibus.

Read them for what they are. They're a piece of comics history, and you can certainly enjoy them. Just don't expect the Lee/Kirby/Ditko/Colan/Heck stuff that was so much better.

Yeah I have been picking up everything from 1961-early 90's. I never was an FF fan but the omnibuses and masterworks were so cheap I got the run from up to 120 something. I have enjoyed them thus far. I do recall not being a fan of the original X-Men so will probably not pick up the whole run. I'm debating on picking up the X-Men Omnibus with Giant Size 1 oor just picking up X-Men Classics. Floppies can be annoying but Omnibuses are so big they can be a pain to read. The Roger Stern Spider-Man one is killer.