• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logo go loco!!! Changing it up a bit ....

66 posts in this topic

lol

Actually yeah, they change a lot too, but that wasn't what meant.

When I compared issues #4 and #9 there were very subtle differences, likely because at the time they were hand drawn and not standardized. The later issues became standardized and are actually again slightly different from earlier issues.

I believe they also went through a size change somewhere in the 20's or 30's.

It's been a few years now but I do remember something like that.

First, second style & last logo (there were others in between)... cat.png

Catman was definitely my first thought when I saw where this thread was going. Catman probably had as many logo styles in five years as Batman has had since 1940!

The first and last examples are not mine, just used to illustrate the earlier and later logo wording.

I never realized the subtle difference in the second and third examples, "Tales of Terrror", vs simply "Tales".

And then of course an entirely different title later on.

151284.jpg

syxctd.jpg

1zlzotx.jpg

Ghostly_Weird_124_zps3357791e.jpg

Here's a cool one, Terrytoons actually morphs into Paul Terry's Comics...

The Terrytoon logo font stayed essentially the same from the Timely issues through the St. John's issues. Issues 1 and 2 had a film background to the logo which disappeared with issue 3 and didn't reappear until a decade later with issue 85 of Paul Terry's Comics. Not coincidentally Paul Terry's 85 and 86 and Terrytoons 85 and 86 are identical books with different logos and slightly different covers. The film background disappears from Paul Terry's with issue 121...

terrytoons19.jpg

terrytoons83.jpg

terrytoons85.jpg

paulterry85.jpg

terrytoons86.jpg

paulterry86.jpg

paulterry87.jpg

paulterry122.jpg

Captain Video tried three logos in the first four issues before he finally got it right....and cancelled the series with #6...

captvideo1fc.jpg

captvideo3fc.jpg

captvideo4fc.jpg

A lot of people don't realize this but the Marvel Mystery Comics logo changed a lot in very subtle ways in the early issues. If you overlaid them by hand you'd see the subtle differences. I found this out when I was trying to make my own logo.

The big change in subtle differences occurred between issue 8 and issue 9. Notice particularly the "R". Issues 2 - 8 all have that funky looking R. From 9 on the redrawn logo has a more standardized lettering size...

mm8.jpg

mm9.jpg