• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When to sell movie-related comics

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before, but it was hard to find this using the search function, nor was google search helpful.

What are the best times to sell comics that are connected to movies?

I seem to recall reading before on here, that some of the times were:

1. When a movie is first announced

2. When the movie trailer first comes out

3. When the movie is just about to be released into the movie theaters

Do I have this correct??? Have I included too much? Or is there any other time I have missed?

And what about the interim times? Like between the movie announcement and the movie trailer release - since this can be years even! What do prices seem to do during this interim time? I know we may not have a lot of back data on this to consider, but even some anecdotal evidence may be helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

(I know, I know, yet another movie-related thread ...) :sorry:

Is it an art or a science? Kind of like hitting a baseball, in that it's both.

If you want to find a pattern, I would say pick about five books linked to specific movies that have already cycled through the whole process---the announcement, the run up, the trailer, the release, the drawdown---and chart the GPA sales of each and see if there's a pattern.

Otherwise just watch the sales on Ebay and GPA in real time. A hot book will have a cluster of for-sale bins on Ebay, and at the bottom of that will be where the book is currently selling.

There are few movie boosted comics that later fell in value. So there's no particular time-they will typically continue to increase in value.

If you have the patience, then I'd wait until right around the release date. A great movie can cause a lot of impulsive decisions.

I think the value increases the most when the movie/character is announced though. The bulk of the sale can be made there. IE GOTG #1 going from a dollar book to a $30-50 book right away after the movie announcement. It peaked around $70 at movie release.

I dunno.

I have some ALF comics, you want em?

OHHHH YEAHHHH!!!

That's a reboot we actually need. Who needs Star Wars, Star Drek, Terminator, 21 Jump Street, when Alf is right there for the taking??

I've been harassing JJ Abrams about it for months. John Woo really wanted to do it, but I told him it was more of a dialogue movie than action

If you have the patience, then I'd wait until right around the release date. A great movie can cause a lot of impulsive decisions.

I think the value increases the most when the movie/character is announced though. The bulk of the sale can be made there. IE GOTG #1 going from a dollar book to a $30-50 book right away after the movie announcement. It peaked around $70 at movie release.

The 2008 series Guardians of the Galaxy #1 peaked a lot higher than 70 bucks in raw high grade.

The 2008 series Guardians of the Galaxy #1 peaked a lot higher than 70 bucks in raw high grade.

I've sold and bought one at around $100

There are few movie boosted comics that later fell in value. So there's no particular time-they will typically continue to increase in value.

(shrug) Showcase 22/GL 1? Tomb of Dracula 10? Marvel spotlight 5? Daredevil 1? Hulk 271/marvel preview 4/7? MSH 13? TOS 50? Cap 6?

The marketplace is littered with "movie books" that lost value, sometimes significant value after the movies came out. And not just books related to movie bombs either. There is definitely a cycle to most of these books. Particularly the ones that were worthless prior to the movie/TV exposure.

-J.

Interesting ideas, all. Thanks! :)

But what about TV-show related comics. Do at least some different ideas apply to them??

For whatever reason the TV-show related comics don`t have the same interest like the movies-related comics, unless they`re Walking Dead related. It all could change though if those Marvel Netflix TV shows are as good as I think they will be. :wishluck:

Interesting ideas, all. Thanks! :)

But what about TV-show related comics. Do at least some different ideas apply to them??

For whatever reason the TV-show related comics don`t have the same interest like the movies-related comics, unless they`re Walking Dead related. It all could change though if those Marvel Netflix TV shows are as good as I think they will be. :wishluck:

When they announced that Firestorm would be on The Flash, there seemed to be a feeding frenzy over Firestorm #1.

It depends on how successful the movie franchise is. Batman comics are still experiencing a boost from the last round of movies because those films were immensely successful. The party probably won't last forever, so it may be a good time to sell those books.

Holding a book until a movie is actually released is basically gambling. If the movie is a flop, the books will tank in no time.