• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended: The Art of Greg Horn

20 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I picked up "The Art of Greg Horn" HC (only $26.37 with free shipping from Amazon) last week and I have to say that it is fantastic. I own a lot of "art books" and the content and production value of this volume are comparable to the best of them. I know some people aren't big on digital painting, paintings of women in skimpy outfits (as opposed to those of big sweaty dudes in spandex 893whatthe.gif), etc., but I think this volume will win a lot of people over.

First, the guy is not just a mouse-pusher - his pencils (showcased in the book) are first-rate. Second, the guy has an oeuvre that is both wider and deeper and than you might expect for someone who has only been prominently on the scene for a few years now - if all you know are his Marvel covers (which comprise less than 1/3rd of the book), you're in for a treat. Third, the book has a preface by Bendis and some interesting insights on the '90s indie comic scene, Horn's rise to prominence and the development of his style and technique. It's very interesting stuff and worth picking up.

Anyone else check this out? Thoughts?

158240397X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hey folks,

I picked up "The Art of Greg Horn" HC (only $26.37 with free shipping from Amazon) last week and I have to say that it is fantastic. I own a lot of "art books" and the content and production value of this volume are comparable to the best of them. I know some people aren't big on digital painting, paintings of women in skimpy outfits (as opposed to those of big sweaty dudes in spandex 893whatthe.gif), etc., but I think this volume will win a lot of people over.

First, the guy is not just a mouse-pusher - his pencils (showcased in the book) are first-rate. Second, the guy has an oeuvre that is both wider and deeper and than you might expect for someone who has only been prominently on the scene for a few years now - if all you know are his Marvel covers (which comprise less than 1/3rd of the book), you're in for a treat. Third, the book has a preface by Bendis and some interesting insights on the '90s indie comic scene, Horn's rise to prominence and the development of his style and technique. It's very interesting stuff and worth picking up.

Thanks thumbsup2.gif, I may have to add this to the list. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

Whoa... until you posted those pictures, I never realized that I actually DON'T like Greg Horn's stuff.

Here's some less cheesecake stuff that maybe you'll enjoy better:

Battlestar-Galactica.jpg

GI_JOE_movie_cast_Toyfare.jpg

RogueGambit_image_L.jpg

Spiderman-close-up.jpg

Hey folks,

sorry, but Greg Horn is an artist whose style i find rather unappealing...everything looks the same, and the colours, well, not my cup of tea really.

but that's always great when an artist can present a good book about his career/work. wink.gif

He is a great tracer of Victoria Secrets cataloges.

That's a different "Greg". 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Greg Horn uses live models...you can see in his book which models posed in which positions for which covers.

he paints from live models in his studio?

or photographs them to paint from later?

I think he photographs them, as he had the photographs to put in the book. Some of the models he uses are pretty hot! insane.gif But, in any case, he is definitely not a "tracer"...I think the previous poster had him confused with a certain other cover artist with the same first name (though I happen to like that other guy's work too).

As for being more flash than substance...check out the book and decide for yourself. His work is really more diverse than just what's been shown here and what he is best known for.

I think he photographs them, as he had the photographs to put in the book. Some of the models he uses are pretty hot! insane.gif

29233219307.1.DFE.S&N.GIF

I'm surprised that I didn't see anyone mention that his "Emma Frost"

is unmistakably recognizable as real-life "actress" Brianna Banks.

There are plenty of "poses" on the internet to use as 'inspiration'.

All he had to do was add the costume. (Did her agent sue yet?)

27.jpg

Let's just say this was the most "appropriate" comparison photo I found on Google. sorry.gif