• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Splash Pages? ASM Annual 1…

14 posts in this topic

Quick question for the experts:

My old LCS once commented to me that the ASM Annual 1 was the first time he'd ever seen splash pages in a Super Hero book. Is there any truth to that?

Also, has anyone ever seen OA of one of the splashes from the book?

These things are incredible:

ASMAnnual1_07.jpg

My old LCS once commented to me that the ASM Annual 1 was the first time he'd ever seen splash pages in a Super Hero book. Is there any truth to that?

Huh?

It may have been true for him, but bold, dynamic splash pages have been used in superhero comics since the Golden Age... (shrug)

2+red+skulls.jpg

Maybe he meant mid story splashes like the guy above mentioned because almost every silver age book I've seen opens with a splash…

Kirby had been doing mid story splashes and double page spreads since the GA as well, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

Maybe he meant mid story splashes like the guy above mentioned because almost every silver age book I've seen opens with a splash…

Kirby had been doing mid story splashes and double page spreads since the GA as well, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

The greatest mid-story splash of all:

scan0001.jpg

Yeah Mid story splashes

That's the question

Maybe in super-hero comics. Several of the 1950s Space Adventures from Charlton in the 1950s (Ditko was probably aware of these as he worked there) had multiple splash pages.

I would guess there are other instances.

Yeah Mid story splashes

That's the question

Maybe in super-hero comics. Several of the 1950s Space Adventures from Charlton in the 1950s (Ditko was probably aware of these as he worked there) had multiple splash pages.

I would guess there are other instances.

From memory, I'm pretty sure Fox Comics did occasional mid-story splashes in the late 30s/early 40s... probably so the artist could knock out a finished page more quickly, but still. lol