• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dust Shadow ?

28 posts in this topic

I bought a collection of around 20 books from the 1950's about 20 years ago. Almost all of them have this browning on the spine in the exact same place. Some go to the front, but not all. Seems they were all stacked on each other. What is this called and how do you think it happened? Discuss.

SCAN0028_zps6a6a3005.jpg

It looks like a stain of some sort, maybe oil. If they all have that same stain then they may have been stacked next to something that was either leaking or off-gassing some way.

It looks like a stain of some sort, maybe oil. If they all have that same stain then they may have been stacked next to something that was either leaking or off-gassing some way.

It think you or duke might be right. I think maybe sunlight or some type of light might have been constant on the spines of that stack.. Thanks for the input. :)

It think you or duke might be right. I think maybe sunlight or some type of light might have been constant on the spines of that stack.. Thanks for the input. :)

It looks like a sun shadow to me, too, but it's odd that it doesn't go all the way to the top and bottom of the book. Maybe the books were stacked right between two partially open curtains so that the sun didn't hit the very ends? (shrug)

It looks like a sun shadow to me, too, but it's odd that it doesn't go all the way to the top and bottom of the book. Maybe the books were stacked right between two partially open curtains so that the sun didn't hit the very ends? (shrug)

Holmes_zps8a5ceabd.jpeg

Maybe a produce box, with some type of opening in the bottom or top of the box.

I bought a collection of around 20 books from the 1950's about 20 years ago. Almost all of them have this browning on the spine in the exact same place. Some go to the front, but not all. Seems they were all stacked on each other. What is this called and how do you think it happened? Discuss.

SCAN0028_zps6a6a3005.jpg

Are the brown flecks in the scan from the book? If so, is the spine brittle where the discoloration is?

I suspect the books were on a shelf that had a top and bottom lip that covered the top and bottom of the books and the spines were exposed for years to light. Would explain the specific localization and the tanning going onto the backs and fronts partially.

SCAN0028_zps6a6a3005.jpg

Are the brown flecks in the scan from the book? If so, is the spine brittle where the discoloration is?

No, not to bad.