• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teenager has never read a comic but wants to start. Where should he begin?

73 posts in this topic

I'd say the guy in question would prefer something fantastical...medieval...swords and sorcery type stuff. That or maybe sci-fi.

Some of the EC reprints in the sci-fi genre would be a great introduction to high quality art and story telling.

Being a little biased, I was going to suggest some EC, as well.

As a modern alternative ... Fear Agent?

Super Hero: Ultimate Spider-Man and The Ultimates.

Sci-Fi: Y The Last Man

Horror: Walking Dead

Crime: 100 Bullets

Fantasy: Fables

Good list. I'd suggest a good batman trade too - maybe Hush, Killing Joke or Year One.

No Long Halloween :baiting:

Long Halloween is good too. lol

I'd say the guy in question would prefer something fantastical...medieval...swords and sorcery type stuff. That or maybe sci-fi.

The guy isn't familiar with comics, so he didn't really mention favoring one particular genre. He just wants a captivating, well-written, comic.

I know this is rather obtuse, but the kid wasn't very specific when he made the request.

Some of the EC reprints in the sci-fi genre would be a great introduction to high quality art and story telling.

I can get behind this suggestion. (thumbs u

I'd say the guy in question would prefer something fantastical...medieval...swords and sorcery type stuff.

Sojourn. Runs are relatively cheap, only 34 regular issues plus a prequel.

-slym

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

I never see runs for sale, and the first dozen issues were tough when I was hunting them. The first two TPBs were impossible to find, so unless they've gone back into print, I'd love to pick up a few sets for people to read.

I'll repeat the EC sci-fi reprint recommendation, which some others have also approved. Since your friend has never read a comic book, an anthology format like EC would be ideal. Just complete stories after complete stories. Each self-contained but displaying what is probably the best art ever done in comic books, combined with very intelligent stories.

I really feel if you want to introduce someone to what comic books can be like, the EC sci-fi books are the best bet.

I'd say the guy in question would prefer something fantastical...medieval...swords and sorcery type stuff.

Sojourn. Runs are relatively cheap, only 34 regular issues plus a prequel.

-slym

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

I never see runs for sale, and the first dozen issues were tough when I was hunting them. The first two TPBs were impossible to find, so unless they've gone back into print, I'd love to pick up a few sets for people to read.

I just sold my run of the comics on eBay for $30... the opening bid.

-slym

If the prospective reader likes sword/sorcery type of stuff, maybe Warlord reprints are collected in a trade (?). Pretty good reading. Early Conan reprints might work too.

I second the Byrne FF run........not particularly dated, great read.

Ditko Dr. Strange maybe.....