• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange things are afoot at the LCS.

75 posts in this topic

If you aren't going to price your comics and ask for offers you sure as heck shouldn't be offended when people make an offer. Hey, maybe you can clean up the store while you are at it and organize a few long boxes.

I just commented on your comment and posted a link here at the top post on the page Jimmy

lol That's funny Kav! hm What's the over and under on there being a response there, and eventually a response here?

Depends on his personality-some show up to give 'their side of the story'.

He asked Jimmy to give an offer on a book he hadn't seen, just relying on his guesstimate of grade. $850 is a rational response to such a vague declaration. Getting angry and asking a customer who obviously has money to spend to leave, is a bit goofy.

Ever heard of a 'counteroffer', goofus?

If someone offered me $5 for Action #1 I wouldn't ask them to leave the store-I'd chuckle a bit is all

The more I hear about crappy shops staying in business, the angrier I get about not being able to have a shop of my own.

Great customer service is the bottom line. Period.

Peace,

Chip

I opened my first shop on less than $2,000. Had an old cigar box for my cash draw and had to borrow $150 from my mother to get change for the store., and used an old ping pong table for my back issue boxes.

There was a place by me in Forest Hills called Little Nemo's. They had a weird setup from what I can remember. Narrow aisles to walk around the store and an old musty basement that they kept boxes of older books in. I remember asking to see the books in the basement and the old timer who owned it handed me a flash light. He said the bulbs were out and to be careful.

There was a place by me in Forest Hills called Little Nemo's. They had a weird setup from what I can remember. Narrow aisles to walk around the store and an old musty basement that they kept boxes of older books in. I remember asking to see the books in the basement and the old timer who owned it handed me a flash light. He said the bulbs were out and to be careful.

So that's where you got all those high grade books.

Facebook face-off...

----------------------

Millennium Comics and Cards

Reviews

4.4 of 5 stars · 20 reviews

Alex Hopf — 1 star

Worst comic book store in Canada. If you're thinking about checking this place out, think again. If the selection doesn't make you leave the attitude of the owner will. December 6, 2014 ... Anand Kaviraj likes this.

When someone tries to rip me off like you did, I could care less if you leave your parents basement. You will never be welcomed back in the store. Thankfully most people are not as ignorant as you. December 6 at 2:01pm ·

Alex Hopf

You didn't welcome me in the store today, you asked me to leave, but heres a pointer, if you don't want to look like a , price your books and don't ask for offers. December 6 at 2:07pm ·

In all fairness I close at 3 and was on my way out, but I stayed over. For some books I like to see what people will offer, if they are trying to take advantage or are willing to give a fair price. Its a experiment in human nature, but to get worst comic store in canada lol come on, some stores wouldn't have even sold you a book after what u tried to offer me, and you still did buy a book. I have been in business 23 years this means nothing, but please give all the facts. December 6 at 7:04pm ·

Alex Hopf

If we're giving all the facts, please remember your facebook says you close at 4:00 - I'm sure future customers will read this and think you're someone they'd want to give money to. December 6 at 7:09pm

Anand Kaviraj

Any comic store owner that asks someone to make an offer then asks him to leave when he does so is, well, this guy: Anand Kaviraj's photo. 17 minutes ago · Edited ·

John Quincy Mass

"For some books I like to see what people will offer, if they are trying to take advantage or are willing to give a fair price. Its a experiment in human nature," ----------------Why don't you save the sociological experiments for your Community College classes? You're running a comic book business, you are not a professor no matter how much your overblown ego wishes it. This "method" you use is obnoxious and off-putting. "When someone tries to rip me off like you did" -------------- I think you're a hypocrite - if someone offered you way more than GPA on the WD # 1, would you have said "no, that's too much, you can only pay $500 less than that"? Yeah, right lol. But a reasonable offer on an unpriced unslabbed item is worthy of your scorn and ridicule? Get a clue, I can't understand how you've been in business so long with "tactics" like this. No one tried to rip you off, be a man and accept the responsibility that YOU screwed up, all for the sake of some lame "experiment".

about an hour ago ·

John Quincy Mass

And who the hell closes at 3pm? Is that a Canadian thing?

151557.jpg.041078c8c9af20bf7a3eaaf87f6794d5.jpg

My local store will occasionally have a bronze age Marvel or DC show up in its inventory, sometimes even a silver book or two.

The prices are beyond laughable. He'll get some common 7.0 issue of Daredevil from 1971 and put it out for "$39.99". Or a common Jimmy Olsen from 1965 in 4.0 and put it out for "$49.99". Grading is optional, as one might have guessed. I have no clue what his plan is. Maybe hang it up on the wall and wait for some uninformed party to pay what he's asking.

I go there to buy the occasional magazine box. The place keeps the doors open by catering almost exclusively to the gaming crowd.

My local store will occasionally have a bronze age Marvel or DC show up in its inventory, sometimes even a silver book or two.

The prices are beyond laughable. He'll get some common 7.0 issue of Daredevil from 1971 and put it out for "$39.99". Or a common Jimmy Olsen from 1965 in 4.0 and put it out for "$49.99". Grading is optional, as one might have guessed. I have no clue what his plan is. Maybe hang it up on the wall and wait for some uninformed party to pay what he's asking.

I go there to buy the occasional magazine box. The place keeps the doors open by catering almost exclusively to the gaming crowd.

lol

The more I hear about crappy shops staying in business, the angrier I get about not being able to have a shop of my own.

Great customer service is the bottom line. Period.

Peace,

Chip

Don't give up Chip. I can be easier than you realize. I owned a comic store in 1999 that was only $750 a month rent and a gaming store in 2004 that was only $700 a month rent. I got a friend to watch store until I got off of work. Now I am helping my 16 year old build up inventory for a store he wants to open when he is of age. Right now we have a lot.

Around two years ago a major comic store in Lakewood, WA closed it's doors. All I ask is what took it so long. The owner was and idjit. I had a couple run ins with him that turned me off to him completely. He owed thousands of dollars to people, especially Diamond. He would send out emails to people on his email list asking them to pick up files and buy certificates to his store that would double in a year so that he could pay his mortgage.

One of the oldest comic stores in Tacoma had some old comic books, but wouldn't bag or board them. They sat tacked on a shelf. I was buying UXMN back in 1981 and would frequent his shop. He was so paranoid that he would lock people in his store and make you leave your bags by front door. The he would want to check you and bag before you left.

There was a store in Seattle that was run by an overly overweight man that just sat behind a desk. Nothing wrong with that, but I could smell him from the other side of the store and he smelled like urine. Also, you had to dig through boxes on the floor while there were no prices and put up with the smell.