• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange things are afoot at the LCS.

75 posts in this topic

I went in to a shop that got a owner who is a super @ss. He had one of his regular big spending customers there and he asked the customer "whats new". The customer starting telling the owner about the new house he just bought. The store owner cut him off and said "jesus I was just trying to make small talk, I really dont give a care and don't want your life story". I stopped going there even though it has a good selection of comics and statues.

It's funny because I'd take the opposite view if I was a customer in that store - who wants to wait for help or to get cashed out while some dorky jerk is monopolizing an LCS owner's time? Who hasn't waited for 10 minutes while some chatty shut-in gets his weekly dose of human interaction at the checkout?

:insane:

The owner could have cut him off without being a d bag.

Why would you or anyone care or judge his interaction with someone else?

Maybe it was a :baiting: sort of thing & they are know each other well enough to BS each other like that.

Maybe just before kidcolt walked in the BSD made an offer on a book, the LCS owner responded with GPA stats & the BSD said "jesus I don't care about all that, I was just making you an offer.."

I'm only going by what was posted. We can speculate on why anyone makes a d bag comment I guess.

And you seem to have no issue with judging the "jerk" for taking up someone's time.

Sure when he's wasting MY time & I get delayed because he needs this kind of attention. :censored:

tumblr_mlhvq6gSlp1s5lf2ro1_500.gif

Your time is no more valuable than the guy who is chatting's time. :baiting:

My bad. I think that's the new place in town and I've not yet gone. Don't know the owner, so he may just be telling the truth :eek:. There's about two other places in town, and both are probably better priced (or at the very least they are priced and graded by someone who knows comics!).

I went in to a shop that got a owner who is a super @ss. He had one of his regular big spending customers there and he asked the customer "whats new". The customer starting telling the owner about the new house he just bought. The store owner cut him off and said "jesus I was just trying to make small talk, I really dont give a care and don't want your life story". I stopped going there even though it has a good selection of comics and statues.

When people start treating their customers the same way they'd mistreat their family at home, they have lost perspective (and shouldn't be mistreating their family at home anyway).

Or he.... Badly.... Needs.... Coffee....

151562.jpg.ebaf0f3fee91e518fdf874263c6294e2.jpg

Did kav's comment get deleted on the FB page? I dont see it.

You have to click to see more comments. Here are the two newest:

John Quincy Mass

"For some books I like to see what people will offer, if they are trying to take advantage or are willing to give a fair price. Its a experiment in human nature," ----------------Why don't you save the sociological experiments for your Community College classes? You're running a comic book business, you are not a professor no matter how much your overblown ego wishes it. This "method" you use is obnoxious and off-putting. "When someone tries to rip me off like you did" -------------- I think you're a hypocrite - if someone offered you way more than GPA on the WD # 1, would you have said "no, that's too much, you can only pay $500 less than that"? Yeah, right lol. But a reasonable offer on an unpriced unslabbed item is worthy of your scorn and ridicule? Get a clue, I can't understand how you've been in business so long with "tactics" like this. No one tried to rip you off, be a man and accept the responsibility that YOU screwed up, all for the sake of some lame "experiment".

about an hour ago ·

John Quincy Mass

And who the hell closes at 3pm? Is that a Canadian thing?

My LCS is closing at the end of this year, the owner died suddenly in May and his surviving family members have no interest in operating the store. Nor do they have any interest in selling, which is a shame as they are one of the few good stores left in my area.

My LCS is closing at the end of this year, the owner died suddenly in May and his surviving family members have no interest in operating the store. Nor do they have any interest in selling, which is a shame as they are one of the few good stores left in my area.

weird that they would have no interest in selling the store.

What are they going to do with it? Make a shrine?

"I will give you $10,000 for your store, all the remaining stock, the business licsense, the name, the contracts in place. I will take care of the rest of the lease, and the outstanding debt of the store. I will even handle the legal fees (and forms) of the transfer.

OR YOU can clean out the store yourself, store all the merchandise and backstock which you can take time to pack up and return or try to sell without expertise, and/or put in storage (where it will quickly lose value), plus you can pay off the rest of the lease on your own, and other utilities and insurance and security until the lease is up. Plus you'll pay any or all of the trustee fees, and the estate will payoff the rest of the store debts. Oh and you'll be doing all this AFTER your loved one just died, (or waiting til months later where its hard to return stuff and/or your new stock has aged)."

weird that they would have no interest in selling the store.

What are they going to do with it? Make a shrine?

"I will give you $10,000 for your store, all the remaining stock, the business licsense, the name, the contracts in place. I will take care of the rest of the lease, and the outstanding debt of the store. I will even handle the legal fees (and forms) of the transfer.

OR YOU can clean out the store yourself, store all the merchandise and backstock which you can take time to pack up and return or try to sell without expertise, and/or put in storage (where it will quickly lose value), plus you can pay off the rest of the lease on your own, and other utilities and insurance and security until the lease is up. Plus you'll pay any or all of the trustee fees, and the estate will payoff the rest of the store debts. Oh and you'll be doing all this AFTER your loved one just died, (or waiting til months later where its hard to return stuff and/or your new stock has aged)."

They slashed the prices of all their back issues to a buck and moved about 90% of them the last time I was in. They went from 3 dealer tables along each wall with back issues stocked on and below to a single table with a couple short boxes. I found one last really awesome score, but I'm not going to say what it was, I can only wonder what I missed out on. I inquired about purchasing the store and was rebuffed in early NOV before they started the fire sale, and the store location is now for rent.

Actually the day I found out the store was closing I was in and searching through some short boxes they had just brought out. The guy running the place in the interim said that the boxes I was looking through were mostly Cartoon Books from the 60's and were nothing special. As he finished the word special I pulled a Scooby Doo 1 in VG handed it to him and advised that he look through the boxes a little more carefully.

Yeah, I can see Jimmys post and the follow up comments but I cant find the post that Kav posted last night with a link for the owner to this page discussion.

This was the straw that broke the camels back. Over the 10 years or so I put up with his attitude to my friends and myself because I wanted my comics and he was my only option. He is rude and has no respect for anyone and he has no problem telling people (customers) that. Poor customer service and business professionalism. Finally there was another LCS with a real nice helpful owner who appreciated his customers. After the house comment I cancelled all my monthly titles and moved to the new shop which was an excellent choice. This new store owner even randomly surprises customers with putting rare incentive covers in their pile of new pulled titles in their box. I think the old store is struggling bad as most everyone I know has switched to the new store.

It's funny because I'd take the opposite view if I was a customer in that store - who wants to wait for help or to get cashed out while some dorky jerk is monopolizing an LCS owner's time? Who hasn't waited for 10 minutes while some chatty shut-in gets his weekly dose of human interaction at the checkout?

The owner could have cut him off without being a d bag.

Why would you or anyone care or judge his interaction with someone else?

Maybe it was a :baiting: sort of thing & they are know each other well enough to BS each other like that.

Maybe just before kidcolt walked in the BSD made an offer on a book, the LCS owner responded with GPA stats & the BSD said "jesus I don't care about all that, I was just making you an offer.."

Tate's in ft. Lauderdale used to have really good prices.

But over the last year, they price raw books for what CGC 9.8s go for.

They even said this.... we price em as if they were graded.

They're selling a New Mutants 98 for $600...raw.

Probably somewhere between the two is human compassion and understanding. :sumo:

Probably somewhere between the two is human compassion and understanding. :sumo:

Thank you :/