• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody have $33,500 to spare?

15 posts in this topic

This rarity is right up my alley but I am the cheapest guy in comics who has never spent more than $525 on one comic so all I can do is look at it and dream it is actually in my hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Superman-Superhombre-Ashcan-DC-Comics-1944-One-of-a-kind-/221631030062?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item339a3d232e

I concur with Bronty. The seller does not even list the interior contents of this "ashcan". Poor listing with very vague description. That makes me very leary :gossip:

I suspect it is a frankenbook and not an authentic ashcan.

I concur with Bronty. The seller does not even list the interior contents of this "ashcan". Poor listing with very vague description. That makes me very leary :gossip:

Good call Stephen. I didn't even read the description but I think you are right. Also, looking at the picture of the back cover, I can see a little bit of red poking out from the last wrap, suggesting this book has color interiors which seems fishy also hm

151563.jpg.d4ea80c71827acca1333c4a0fd4e9d1d.jpg

Good call Stephen. I didn't even read the description but I think you are right. Also, looking at the picture of the back cover, I can see a little bit of red poking out from the last wrap, suggesting this book has color interiors which seems fishy also hm

Most ashcans had color interiors. DC would simply put a coverless book (any book) inside the cover of the title they wanted to reserve copyright for.

That said, I would consider this very desirable (though I had passed on the superman ashcan at less than this, which admittedly was a long time ago). I like historical things and one of a kind things and outside of comics that means something. But deep inside comics, the fewer copies of something there are the less support there will be for its value. (paradoxically, if there were more ashcans, then each ashcan would be worth more, at least the ones in high grade).

That could change over time but for now it's something to consider when buying. And if I was a buyer candidate I would want to authenticate it more than the appearance seems to do. Checking the copyright records would be a start, and then talking with the folk who specialized in these sort of things.

If you can get it slabbed as authentic that would be best.

This is why I love the boards; The detective work combined with the history and knowledge of the people here quickly determines the value and probable authenticity of any odd book that comes through. :grin:

This rarity is right up my alley but I am the cheapest guy in comics who has never spent more than $525 on one comic so all I can do is look at it and dream it is actually in my hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Superman-Superhombre-Ashcan-DC-Comics-1944-One-of-a-kind-/221631030062?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item339a3d232e

The owner of this book is good guy and very legit. I purchased the Supergirl and Superboy ashcans from him about 6-7 years ago.

This is the only known copy of this ashcan. The interior is Superman 31.

I almost purchased it 20+ years ago, but it slipped through my fingers. The current owner paid a very handsome price for it - therefore the current high price.

It's very cool though. It was created to protect the Spanish Superman logo that did see print on the cover of Adventure 304. I would be a buyer today in the $5,000 range. From my perspective it's just too rough to pay more.