• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superman ashcan

21 posts in this topic

Everyone loves that Superman ashcan cover. I believe the interior includes a few pages from Action # 8.

If u click the UBB code Image icon first, then paste your cover image jpg linked to your own website, the pic should show up in your post. Good luck. blush.gif

Copy the URL from your attachment and then click on Edit in your post.Then click on the pink Image under Instant UBB code. Paste in the URL you've copied, taking care not to repeat http:// and then click ok.

691573-Superman%252001%2520ashcan.jpg

There are only 2 Superman ashcans known to exist. The 9.0 has changed hands a few times (I believe the last time was a year or so back...). I still own the 7.5.

There are 3 know Action ashcans. DC has one in their archives. Steve Fishler sold the copy that ended up being a 9.0 many years ago (I believe that copy surfaced a few years back). I own the 9.2. cloud9.gif

There are only 2 Superman ashcans known to exist. The 9.0 has changed hands a few times (I believe the last time was a year or so back...). I still own the 7.5.

Hi Moondog. You state there are two known copies of the Superman #1 ashcan but ravencomics has an attachment of a Supeman #1 ashcan that is not the 9.0. the 9.0 sold at Heritage (April 04) for $34,500. When I pm'd ravencomics and inquired about his book, he noted that his copy was a vf. Can there be a known third copy out there? Also, how can you tell an original ashcan? I would think the book would be easy to counterfeit. confused-smiley-013.gif

What is the Gerber rating on these, or does it apply to ashcan's?

It would be a SI 10 (less than 5 copies),...if you were to apply it.

893whatthe.gif Now, next stupid question. Is there any recent detailed Gerber data on the scarcity of books as I find it facinating reading.

Me too. I find anything about comics is fascinating reading. Overstreet, Grading Guide, or even Wizard are with me in the john.

Harvey:

Raven's attachment is the 9.0 before it was slabbed (I would know the bottom of that book and the staples blindfolded). Images of this book ran in Comic Book Marketplace and Overstreet in previous years. I also had a pamphlet printed about this book with this image on the cover.

It's possible additional copies may exist, but not probable. Library of Congress, National Archives, or some such place in Washington could have a copy (I know some ashcans made it there as part of the trademark registration process). I've advertised for over 20 years to buy "original DC ashcans" and have had no luck (but I did find a few non-DC's this way!).

--Gary

As for counterfeiting, it would be extremely difficult. One would need to have an ashcan cover and "marry" it to a coverless book. The only ashcan covers that survive are a Double Action and some lesser titles (which I own), and the velox paper on which they're printed looks and feels old. Any newly created ashcan would have to pass the "test of time" look and feel.

Maybe not impossible, but certainly extremely difficult. I know the boys at CGC would spot it a mile away.

Gary,

Can your reprint the comics b/c the copyright is over 50 years old or would they be perpetual?

Maybe you should get together with DC and have an Ashcan reprint year in which you do a special edition ala millenium ashcan every month, Action,Superman, Wonder Woman, Thrill, Whiz (Golden Arrow), Whiz (Captain Marvel) ,Flash(capt. Marvel), Flash (adventure comics), Double Action, Detective Comics, Funny Stuff, Reel Screen Comics and whatever other ones I can't remember. Not the 1/2 size ones though cause I hate them!

27_laughing.gif

Or suggest DC sell them as a press proof portfolio set maybe you can get with Russ Cochran.

Or please consider doing absolutely nothing 'cause you are the man! what a great collection dude!