• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #4 Faded cover

9 posts in this topic

Now that is a tough one!

In terms of what it would come back from CGC I'd honestly not be able to say, it would be a guess.

However, purely structurally from the one photo inside a bag it really is difficult to say. A 3.0 could be on the very reserved or it could be spot on. I'd have to see scans not in the mylite and of the back.

I am wondering whether it has been chemically cleaned?

Not much help, but good luck with it.

This came from HighGradeComics. He seems like a good guy and he did not mention any restoration, so it is probably not chemically cleaned.

I just am wondering in general how fading affects books at CGC. I would guess a 4-4.5 without fading, but do low/medium grade books get pounded on fading or just higher grade books.

I am happy either way. I needed the book to fill in a lower grade X-Men run. It works. Maybe I am interested to find out if Bob undergraded it and it might hit a 4.0 at CGC. If that is the case, I might send it in to be slabbed.

I am guessing not, but wanted some extra opinions.

I'd guess you are right on the money. A good point of reference is the Avengers #1 4.5 that was sold here over the weekend. The book was structurally about a 7.0, but Paul (or perhaps Steve) hammered the fading. The wear on this isn't bad, but the fading is worse than the 4.5. Assuming some consistency, Id say 3-3.5.

Cover appeal is huge for me too and I'm glad it fills part of your collection.

From the one photo I agree with TheAvenger that it could be as strong as a fn (structurally).

If you do send it in, please let us know, I'd be really interested to see.