• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*spoon* Planet

32 posts in this topic

I just finished #1, & I can see where you're coming from about the essayist. I don't argue with the her about the existence of sexism and the threats that women face, but I do have an issue with the schizophrenic "see-how-you're-a-victim-but-you're-not-a-victim!!!" message that plays on people's insecurities rather than their agency. The sentiment rubbed me the wrong way in college but I didn't know why; now I've come to believe that that angry victimization language serves more to polarize than to create actual productive change.

The irony is that the prisoners on *Spoon* Planet are anything but victims, which I immensely enjoyed. DeConnick captured the Foxy Brown blaxploitation genre perfectly while adding a futuristic dystopian twist. The swerve was well done, and the Battle-Royale/Hunger-Games-like spectacle reality show on top adds a unique meta-layer.

I admit having my reservations about DeConnick's writing - Pretty Deadly had too many loose threads for me - but I met her @ WonderCon & she really sold me on *Spoon* Planet, and now it's close to the top of my 2014 Pull List along with Copperhead & Southern Bastards.

Also this is just for the 1st print. I'm curious if there is anything different on the back for 1:15, Ghost, Image Expo, and 2nd print.

Issue 2 has a poster added to the mix. I think I'm going to pony up for some stuff. Loving the book through 2 issues so far (I plan on getting to #3 tonight).

I'm going to resurrect this thread because this series deserves to be praised. It's a great title. DeConnick's storytelling, coupled with DeLandro's (Soma, in this issue) art style just flat out works. My wife read Issue #6 before I did, and I was worried when she said that it was

a flashback issue that tells the story of a character (Meiko) that, as far as we know, died in the previous issue.

I shouldn't have been concerned, because it still felt relevant to the ongoing narrative and it was a compelling read. Aside from the story itself, I liked the inclusion of the academic essay and continue to be heartened by the letters section -- especially when the editor (apologies - I forget her name at the moment) calmly-yet-sternly calls out "Mr.I-think-I'm-a-feminist-yet-I-clearly-don't-completely-get it." As with earlier issues, the fake ads are also little gems.

I don't necessarily want *all* of my comics to be platforms for social activism, but I wish more of them were -- and I would want them to be like B---- Planet.

If you haven't started reading this series, you need to. It's very well done, which is evidenced by its Eisner Award nomination in the Best New Series category!

:applause:

Eisner Nominations

While TPB are nice, the individual issues are worth tracking down because the back matter adds a LOT to the dialogue.