• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

:gossip: OAAW 81 has a way way better cover :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

hm I don't know about that. Certainly, the coloring on 81 is more appealing. I concede that.

And that most certainly does NOT look like Sgt Rock on the cover of 81 (nor on 83).

Our_Army_at_War_Vol_1_81.jpg3959-1472-4355-1-our-army-at-war.jpg

It's hard for me to take high-print late '70s Marvels like Ms. Marvel 1, Nova 1, and even Star Wars 1 seriously as collectibles, let alone the books I bought off the stands in the early 90s.

I tend to agree. I think books like these are the prototypical sell high books.

HOWEVER, a book like Star Wars 1 may buck that trend long term, especially now that Disney owns the property and will keep it in the public consciousness for a long, long time.

Maybe they'll make a movie out of it :insane:

Hollywood and all the speculators who spend infinite hours and $$ chasing the next big key. . .now THAT's revisionist (Nova? Seriously?).

It cracks me up. People could have sought out (for DECADES) and found as many high grade copies of books like Nova 1 and Ms Marvel 1 that they wanted for almost nothing. Now that they are hot because of movie speculation, people are all too willing to pony up nosebleed prices.

It is rather bizarre to watch the obsession with newly minted "keys" among silver an bronze age books. The first appearances of minor supporting characters who later put on a costume, with little impact on fandom for 30 years, but are now finally "hot". Completely obscure characters, forgotten for decades, but who will show up in some supporting role in a movie or TV show. C list heroes who have been around for decades, and generally had a hard time supporting a solo title, but are tagged for a movie despite no sizable fan base.

I'll admit, it sometimes seems like it could be fun digging this stuff up ahead of the wave, and in part it's the inevitable direction of collecting in each era as runs and major keys become more expensive, and no doubt some of these characters will perhaps earn the status that makes their first appearances true "key" books, but some of this stuff seems a real stretch.

First appearance of short-order cook Tommy Griddle who later became the villain Flapjack before getting a sex-change operation and becoming Hotcake when joining the Legion Defending Justice ( 1st series), which has been announced as a series on Youtube for 2018.

lol

:gossip: OAAW 81 has a way way better cover :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Frankly, I'm not an outspoken fan of either cover, but if I had to choose, I'd be partial to the #83. Admittedly, I see more abstraction with the figure in OAAW #81. Usually I LIKE that about Grandenetti, but in this case, I am not all that excited about it. In any case, it has zilcho to do with what's inside of either 'em.

So this thread has gone on so long I finally decided to look it up on GPA. After having done so I can honestly say that it's grand total of 5 record sales in 2014 are underwhelming.

$7400 for 7.0, its second highest recorded grade GPA has a recorded sale for.

Three sales for a 4.0, two of which barely made $1800.

And just $813 for a 3.5 a couple months ago?

I know GPA doesn't record all of the sales that happened in the world, but it's hard to imagine that only the "good ones" have occurred outside of public eyes.

After seeing this it is pretty clear why the book does not rank on Overstreet's list.

I know the book and the genre has its fans, but the numbers on it are weak.

-J.

I would much rather have a decent OAAW #1 than a 81 or 83 any day.........

and #2 ,.. now that is just the most intense cover of all DC big 5 war IMO.....

#1 and #2 are both kick-@ss books!!! :headbang:

So this thread has gone on so long I finally decided to look it up on GPA. After having done so I can honestly say that it's grand total of 5 record sales in 2014 are underwhelming.

I know GPA doesn't record all of the sales that happened in the world, but it's hard to imagine that only the "good ones" have occurred outside of public eyes.

After seeing this it is pretty clear why the book does not rank on Overstreet's list.

-J.

Weak in the knees. 2c

We should probably let this thread run its course.... ie. wither and die :wink:

-J.

J, would you happen to know what the recent average sales are for these OSPG top 20 keys in the same grades:

- Green Lantern 1

- Justice League of America 1

- FF 5

- FF 2

Thx,

John