• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

Sgt. Rock is a vastly overrated character. Total waste of money on all of his appearances. . .especially the first appearance. I, for one, am going to spend every ounce of my $$ on whatever Hollywood's planning instead of some OAAW #83 drek. All of you, do yourselves a favor, and sell those OAAW 83s while they're perceived to be valuable. It's all a hoax.

I can't see this book taking over any of the DC or Marvel 1st appearance keys, but I could see a few individual copies selling for more than some of the top keys in similar grade. Looking at GPA, multiple copies of Sgt Fury #1 and Daredevil #1 (2 of the bottom tier Marvel SA Keys) have sold for more than any copy of OAAW 83, but not in VF.

I agree with the comments above, I find it hard to see where the "new" demand is going to come from for this book compared to the incredible multi-media exposure the superhero genre has gotten and looks to continue to get in the future. Is DC even publishing war books anymore?

I can't see this book taking over any of the DC or Marvel 1st appearance keys, but I could see a few individual copies selling for more than some of the top keys in similar grade. Looking at GPA, multiple copies of Sgt Fury #1 and Daredevil #1 (2 of the bottom tier Marvel SA Keys) have sold for more than any copy of OAAW 83, but not in VF.

I agree with the comments above, I find it hard to see where the "new" demand is going to come from for this book compared to the incredible multi-media exposure the superhero genre has gotten and looks to continue to get in the future. Is DC even publishing war books anymore?

This book is extremely scarce in grade. Look at what scarcity in grade did for hulk after that huge sale for 300k? It's on AF15 level. This book will never be that level but it should certainly hit top7 or 8 with the right circumstances.

Speaking as a very recent adopter of DC War (only read Sgt. Fury as a kid), I dig the OOAW Rock issues and went on a recent buying binge. The 83 is in my sights and it only takes a handful of converts like me to drive the market on a book as scarce as this.

This book will never be that level but it should certainly hit top 7 or 8 with the right circumstances.

What exactly is meant by "Top 5" or "Top 7 or 8"? It will never be one of the top 10 or even 20 individual Silver Age comic books ever sold, I'm not sure where $16K for a VF copy places it, but even the 2nd best copy on the census sold for less than Spidey 1 in VF, and the Spidey is a common book (nearly 100 copies in VF or better) and he Spidey is not even a 1st appearance. (shrug)

This book will never be that level but it should certainly hit top 7 or 8 with the right circumstances.

What exactly is meant by "Top 5" or "Top 7 or 8"? It will never be one of the top 10 or even 20 individual Silver Age comic books ever sold, I'm not sure where $16K for a VF copy places it, but even the 2nd best copy on the census sold for less than Spidey 1 in VF, and the Spidey is a common book (nearly 100 copies in VF or better) and he Spidey is not even a 1st appearance. (shrug)

Look at what the 83 4.0 sold for in the recent C-Link auction- as much as what DD 1 7.0s are going for. And the C-Link sale is not an anomaly. That 8.0 that sold for $16k was quite some time ago and a boardie offered a lot more than that but the owner balked.

One other thing about war books and their market- as long as we have wars (unfortunately), interest in the war genre, whether in comics, film, and literature will continue. Moreover, the most significant historical event of the 20th Century, World War II, remains popular among historians and within the historical conscience of generations that followed. War comics will continue to draw interest. The greatest heroes of each generation are those who fought and gave their lives for their country- Sgt. Rock is the greatest representation of our heroes and the wars they fought- he doesn't need a movie- he has history.

It's a cool book, but war collecting is a niche category compared to superhero books, though the difficulty in finding it in high grade adds to it's mystique. Personally I find non-superhero stuff interesting, and would take a copy over contemporary DC superhero keys, but that's mainly because I have little interest in silver DC keys to begin with. But for the community at large, I don't see the book ever having the demand that costumed character keys have.

In addition it's not a clean "key", for years the book to have was #81, that's changed recently but what with the proto-types and uncertain status of #81 and #82 in the origins of Sgt. Rock, I don't see #83 becoming a top 10 SA key any time soon.

Sgt. Rock is a vastly overrated character. Total waste of money on all of his appearances. . .especially the first appearance. I, for one, am going to spend every ounce of my $$ on whatever Hollywood's planning instead of some OAAW #83 drek. All of you, do yourselves a favor, and sell those OAAW 83s while they're perceived to be valuable. It's all a hoax.

Nice try, Mick. lol

Not to derail the OP from Sgt. Rock but with Sgt. Fury#1 as the #2 book on the top 50 war comics list what sort of potential do collectors think that book has? I mean with Fury having actual recent movie experiences to speak of it is another popular title in the niche that gives some backbone to the idea that "if its a movie its a mover". I do not follow that book closely but from what I see it is not as hot. So even with a movie I do not think it would have much affect on Sgt. Rocks desirability. Therefore 55 years after the release of OAAW 83 there is nothing that will makes its demand spike. While it is firmly cemented on the list it has nothing to skyrocket it up or down.

For those that might not know OAAW#83 is a first appearance of the unknown soldier, later to become known as Sgt.Rock. The series lasted over 40 years just like alot of hero books. It being printed in 1959 actually puts it at the farthest end of the SA. What I would say is that even at $16,000 comparing GPA sales and comparing prices to hero books it is underpriced. This is evidenced in auctions for the book where it may jump $1000 in the last few minutes. I just think that looking strictly at a books GPA price in order to place it in terms of real value in the guide is not giving this books sufficient dues. However as CGC will tell you scarcity is does not determine value so even a pedigree in the highest grade regardless of how rare will not see the book going for 50-100k. So in reply to the OP I would say this book will never break the top 10.However I am biased for the book so it really does deserve to be in the top 20 without a doubt.

lol What?? :screwy:

The answer, of course, is no. While yes, OOAW #83 is the single most desired war book of all, it pales in comparison to the multi-generational appeal of Spidey. FF, Thor, and even Iron Man, and the X-Men, etc.

There's simply no chance.

The reason the book is so valuable is because it is so scarce. Put it up in equal extant terms with a Fantasy #15, and it loses 60% or more of its value.

I love DC war, and have a couple long boxes worth, including several OOAW (sold my #82 and #83 in '02 or '03 :( ), but it's far, far too niche.

War books just aren't going to gain the longterm popularity stranglehold that Superheroes have had since the 60's.

The answer, of course, is no. While yes, OOAW #83 is the single most desired war book of all, it pales in comparison to the multi-generational appeal of Spidey. FF, Thor, and even Iron Man, and the X-Men, etc.

There's simply no chance.

The reason the book is so valuable is because it is so scarce. Put it up in equal extant terms with a Fantasy #15, and it loses 60% or more of its value.

I love DC war, and have a couple long boxes worth, including several OOAW (sold my #82 and #83 in '02 or '03 :( ), but it's far, far too niche.

War books just aren't going to gain the longterm popularity stranglehold that Superheroes have had since the 60's.

+1

Though it is certainly a cool book. (thumbs u

-J.