• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OAAW 83's potential to be a top 5 SA key?

529 posts in this topic

that's the other thing. Even if he gets a movie it will be a DC movie and we've seen how those generally turn out (batman excepted) :sick:

If they do it like a traditional war movie, it could be AWESOME.

Look how good "Saving Private Ryan" was...

It could work, if they keep super powered and supernatural elements out of it...

...except Haunted Tank.

You have to have Haunted Tank.

;)

Could work but it would have its challenges too. For all the stories he was in, the character only really had basic character development as there were generally several short stories an issue which just amounted to putting rock in a war situation and letting him be the hero. The stories were very good and the art terrific and there was some character development, but not a ton:.. Rock was more about what he stood for than a very complicated or nuanced character. So as you say you're left basically with an almost totally straight war film that is then just branded Sgt Rock. That branding has value but with it comes a higher than normal budget expectation I think and also you'd probably have to make it PG13 - which does take some bite out of a war film

Not to mention - which war do you place him in? You're likely not targeting this audience with a film on a past war so what are you left with? Rock fighting the Taliban with the haunted tank? ;) And how is all this going to play overseas? It's got its tricky aspects.

Didn't Joe Kubert do a new limited series with him about 10 or 15 years ago? I'm not sure, but thought there was one around his Letter From Sarajevo.

Also, checking Wikipedia, it notes producer Joel Silver was developing a WWII Sgt. Rock film back in 2008 to star Bruce Willis & be directed by Guy Ritchie. Ritchie opted to do Sherlock Holmes instead, and in 2010, Silver announced a "new direction" that would feature Sgt. Rock in "the near future."

I just don't see it working as a movie. What would differentiate it from Fury? or -- if in the future -- Tears of the Sun?

FYI - I _loved_ one of the Brave & Bolds where he teamed up with Batman in present day. Forget which of them it was, but it was really well done.

FYI - I _loved_ one of the Brave & Bolds where he teamed up with Batman in present day. Forget which of them it was, but it was really well done.

Yeah, a crossover movie with a superhero is about the only thing that would make it unique, otherwise it's just another war movie with a hero.

I think lots of good points have been made on both sides, figured why not join the party with my own point of view:

I think that it has the opportunity to become top 15 (maybe top 12), but it would struggle to get there. And, the rarity of this book is so much more than people understand.......it might be TOO rare

1) popular = run up like so many typical marvel keys

2) somewhat popular and somewhat rare = run up like some DC silver keys

3) super popular and not rare = more run up like some marvel silver age keys

4) not really popular and MEGArare = some run up, but not what one would think without "triggers"

OOAW83 is definitely cat 4). has a small following BUT so very few copies out there. in order for the attention (and associated price cascade effect) to come, a couple high grade copies need to come to market. Only problem is there aren't really any.

That 8.0 comes to auction = I'd say it fetches $35-$40K easy (that's more than all but a handful of SA keys go for)

That 9.0 comes to market = I wouldn't think it would go for THAT much more, but maybe $45-$55K

Just my $0.02.

Yes, as I've said before in other places on this board, there IS such a thing as "too rare to be popular." If people can't find something, regardless of the cost, they tend to give up and move on. With an Action #1, you can say "well, I may not HAVE the $500,000 or so for a 4.0 copy, but if I did, I know I could find one fairly easily."

Not to compare this with Action #1, but the philosophy holds. The reason the Top 10 books are what they are is because they are fairly common, all things considered. All it takes is money, and it's yours with otherwise very little effort.

That's why, for example, the 1804 dollars are $5Mil+ coins...even though there are essentially 15 of them...and why the 1854-S Half Eagle...with only 3 known....is, at best, half that.

Done in by its own scarcity.

Perhaps some collectors (especially speculators) out there are simply use to just putting the money down with ease to buy a SA key- these same collectors/speculators may lack a desire and the patience to take on the real challenges of this hobby- challenges we see often in pre code horror and crime: books that are scarce and are not always available due to being placed in a collection where the owner is not interested in selling- no matter what the price.

In this age of instant gratification, the challenge 83 presents to some may not be an attractive one. But for others, bagging a SA key like 83 is worth the time it may take.

It also makes collecting the top SA keys more interesting with books like 83 - a book that you can't always buy if you have the money.

Perhaps some collectors (especially speculators) out there are simply use to just putting the money down with ease to buy a SA key- these same collectors/speculators may lack a desire and the patience to take on the real challenges of this hobby- challenges we see often in pre code horror and crime: books that are scarce and are not always available due to being placed in a collection where the owner is not interested in selling- no matter what the price.

In this age of instant gratification, the challenge 83 presents to some may not be an attractive one. But for others, bagging a SA key like 83 is worth the time it may take.

It also makes collecting the top SA keys more interesting with books like 83 - a book that you can't always buy if you have the money.

After buying into the OAAW 81 as the 1st Sgt Rock appearance, then having that pulled from underneath them, I think perhaps that's kept some collectors from diving head deep into the OAAW 83/1st appearance sweepstakes.

If I placed money on #81, I'd feel very hesitant to pull the trigger on a high grade #83, and that lack of confidence in the book would lend credence to avoiding the book altogether and putting my money into another Key Silver Age book instead.

If I can't buy it, why would I collect it?

More importantly, how?

Personal services trade...?

If I can't buy it, why would I collect it?

More importantly, how?

Who says you can't buy it? Read what I wrote carefully- (thumbs u

If I can't always buy it, why would I collect it?

More importantly, how (since apparently it isn't easy to find)?

:shrug:

Updated my post.

Also, was mostly a joke. Apparently not funny though...

:sorry:

I think lots of good points have been made on both sides, figured why not join the party with my own point of view:

I think that it has the opportunity to become top 15 (maybe top 12), but it would struggle to get there. And, the rarity of this book is so much more than people understand.......it might be TOO rare

1) popular = run up like so many typical marvel keys

2) somewhat popular and somewhat rare = run up like some DC silver keys

3) super popular and not rare = more run up like some marvel silver age keys

4) not really popular and MEGArare = some run up, but not what one would think without "triggers"

OOAW83 is definitely cat 4). has a small following BUT so very few copies out there. in order for the attention (and associated price cascade effect) to come, a couple high grade copies need to come to market. Only problem is there aren't really any.

That 8.0 comes to auction = I'd say it fetches $35-$40K easy (that's more than all but a handful of SA keys go for)

That 9.0 comes to market = I wouldn't think it would go for THAT much more, but maybe $45-$55K

Just my $0.02.

+1

No "triggers" at current on this book means on the niche market it sits in now will be the only group to continue to collect it in the near term (0-20 years). If no "triggers" hit the market in a big way that creates a new generation of following, the book will begin to lose value rapidly as the Baby Boomers move into fixed income mode.

If I can't always buy it, why would I collect it?

More importantly, how (since apparently it isn't easy to find)?

:shrug:

Updated my post.

Also, was mostly a joke. Apparently not funny though...

:sorry:

(thumbs u

After buying into the OAAW 81 as the 1st Sgt Rock appearance, then having that pulled from underneath them, I think perhaps that's kept some collectors from diving head deep into the OAAW 83/1st appearance sweepstakes.

If I placed money on #81, I'd feel very hesitant to pull the trigger on a high grade #83, and that lack of confidence in the book would lend credence to avoiding the book altogether and putting my money into another Key Silver Age book instead.

while that makes sense, in that we all feel burned sometimes like that, in reality, that person would be switching to the new train, the new "gotta have" origin of Rock. And down the road, either he makes up for his loss on 81 with profit on 83 if it stays the true origin; or, a different issue gets the nod, which we know won't happen. 82 will never be the one, so its 81 or 83 from here on out. can't lose proposition.