• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Black Hood - Dark Circle

21 posts in this topic

The first title in Archie's new Dark Circle line of more mature superhero books has been solicited.

The Black Hood #1 is set to hit stands on February 25.

Here's the Francavilla variant cover along with the official solicit:

BlackHood1-web-665x1024.jpg

The Black Hood #1

NEW ONGOING SERIES from the brand new DARK CIRCLE imprint! "The Bullet's Kiss – Part 1 of 5" When Philadelphia police officer Greg Hettinger stepped into the middle of a gunfight, hot lead shredded his face—and he pulled the trigger, blind. Now Greg is waking up in a world where he's a killer, hopelessly scarred and hooked on painkillers. What does a man do when he can no longer face the world, yet still wants to do good? He puts on a hood…

-script: Duane Swierczynski

Art: Michael Gaydos, Kelly Fitzpatrick, Rachel Deering

Die-cut Cover: Michael Gaydos

Variant Covers: David Mack, Francesco Francavilla, Howard Chaykin, David Williams

On Sale Date: 2/25

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

Gee, that was fast - solicits for #2 are now out as well.

Black Hood #2 will hit stands on March 25.

Big scan of cover for #2 by Francavilla:

BlackHood2FFvar-ce159.jpg

Variant covers by Howard Chaykin and David Mack.

Full solicit:

NEW SERIES FROM DARK CIRCLE! “The Bullet’s Kiss, Part 2” The acclaimed crime series continues with another dose of deadly noir by two masters of the genre. When you steal from the underworld, the underworld will come looking for you—even if you’re a cop. Greg Hettinger has unwittingly crossed the city’s most fearsome drug lord—a man only known as “The Connection,” who sends two of his most fearsome lieutenants after Greg. It’s one thing to have trouble come knocking on your front door. But it’s another when it’s already inside your house…

Art: Michael Gaydos, Rachel Deering, Kelly Fitzpatrick

Cover: Francesco Francavilla

Variant Covers: David Mack, Howard Chaykin

On Sale Date: 3/25

$3.99 U.S.

Based in Philly and written a Philly guy who grew up in the gritty Frankford / Kensington area : think of the most white trash, dirty and run down neighborhood in every Rocky movie, add in drive-bys, junkies and hookers and you get the idea

The third issue of The Black Hood has been solicited.

THE BLACK HOOD #3

NEW ONGOING SERIES FROM DARK CIRCLE!

“The Bullet’s Kiss, Part 3” The Black Hood is supposed to be dead. Shot, de-masked, autopsied, buried. So who’s running around town in a ratty black hood, declaring war on the underworld? The City of Philadelphia is electrified by the fleeting glimpses they see on social media—but both the cops and the drug gangs want him stopped at all costs. However, the new Black Hood may not have to be stopped. He’s coming unglued all on his own…

Art: Michael Gaydos, Rachel Deering, Kelly Fitzpatrick

Cover: Francesco Francavilla

Variant Cover: David Mack

Variant Cover: Howard Chaykin

Dark Circle Movie Throwback Variant Cover: Robert Hack

On Sale Date: 4/22

$3.99 U.S.

Four covers:

Francesco Francavilla

BlackHood-3FFvar-631ea.jpg

Robert Hack

BlackHood-3Hackvar-93400.jpg

David Mack

BlackHood-3Mackvar-112b1.jpg

Howard Chaykin

BlackHood-3Chaykinvar-7cf2c.jpg

I'm going to read it one more time through, but it's not strong enough for me to review - at least, not in long form. The interior art's just not doing it for me.

We'll see. At this point though, I'd rather see Archie get that second issue of Sabrina out. THAT and continue on with AA 2c

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I was surprised to discover there is at least some continuity here from the previous incarnations of the Red Circle characters. I was under the impression that this line was a complete boots-up reboot of the concepts, but...

...this issue begins with the main character kinda accidentally shooting the previous Black Hood in the face. WHOOPS! The previous Black Hood being Kip Burland, who appeared in the 80's Red Circle revival.

I don't know how much continuity from the older stuff they are going to bring in; I guess we'll really find out when Shield #1 comes out, because that identity has way more complicated continuity than Black Hood does.

Read it tonite and I really really liked it. Being from Philly I gotta say Swierczynski nailed it, the grime and locations are spot on, the neighborhood sections, the street names and intersections that you should avoid at night, and sometimes during the day.

Gaydos's art reminds me of Mazzucchelli in Batman Year one, it has a gritty modern pulp feel to it.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that the letterer shouldn't put certain dialogue in bold face like a prompted punch line. We're smart enough to get the joke on our own.

I'll be buying the rest of the series