• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superhero movies and the Oscars
2 2

What comic book movies would you nominate for an Oscar?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What comic book movies would you nominate for an Oscar?

53 posts in this topic

It looks like some comic book movies have made the Oscar nomination list for their soundtracks.

OSCARS: Comic Book Movies Are Eligible For Original Score and Original Song Nominations

Only a few superhero movies have made it to the nomination list, and a handful received an Oscar for their efforts.

• SUPERMAN (1978): Nominated for Best Film Editing, Best Score, Best Sound Editing; won Special Achievement Award for Visual Effects (1979).
  • BATMAN (1989): Won Best Art Direction (1990).
  • BATMAN RETURNS (1992): Nominated for Best Makeup, Best Visual Effects (1993).
  • BATMAN FOREVER (1995): Nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Sound Mixing (1996).
  • THE MATRIX (1999): Won Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Film Editing, Visual Effects (2000).
  • SPIDER-MAN (2002): Nominated for Best Sound and Best Visual Effects (2003).
  • BATMAN BEGINS (2005): Nominated for Best Cinematography (2006).
  • THE DARK KNIGHT (2008): Nominated for Best Supporting Actor, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Makeup, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects; won Best Supporting Actor (2009).
  • IRON MAN 3 (2013): Nominated for Best Visual Effects (2014).

Could a superhero movie win for this year's productions? I guess I could have included Birdman as well, since it is influenced by superhero actors.

Probably just visual effects to the X-Men.

I'm hoping Big Hero Six gets attention too. Even if it is just a nomination. What a cool movie.

Only one on the list I have not seen yet. Looking forward to it.

Probably just visual effects to the X-Men.

I'm hoping Big Hero Six gets attention too. Even if it is just a nomination. What a cool movie.

I can see a Best Animated Picture nod, riding on the creators/contributors coatails of Frozen (the director was the guy who voiced the hulking shopowner who doesn't sell to Christof).

I think the academy will probably just ignore the X-Men franchise as it's been around for almost forever in Hollywood years.

Depending on how special the sound effects were gotten from (a vcr ejecting a tape-RoboCop's walk or a dogfood coming out of a can-T2 going through prisonbars), it would be hardest to predict that category. Captain America seems to be somewhat noisy to be noticed though. The Lego Movie might do well too.

As always (since 2008), I don't see any official comicbook movies getting noms in any of the top major categorys though. Cut Spider-Man 2 actress Shailene Woodley will probably (most likely) get a nom for The Fault in our Stars. Before someone starts saying who cares (when obviously they really do), there are movies with heavy superhero veteran casts that can up to 10 nominations, like American Hustle (Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Jennifer Lawrence).

likely a nomination for Big Hero 6 for best animated since the category usually has 3 nominees and maybe 6 options. maybe a visual effects or some other technical category for guardians. but any major awards? no chance. they won the box office- be content with that. the top 3 (cap, GOTG and x-men) were all entertaining but aren't likely in many academy voters top ten best movie lists.

likely a nomination for Big Hero 6 for best animated since the category usually has 3 nominees and maybe 6 options. maybe a visual effects or some other technical category for guardians. but any major awards? no chance. they won the box office- be content with that. the top 3 (cap, GOTG and x-men) were all entertaining but aren't likely in many academy voters top ten best movie lists.

As much as I want to say there were standout performances from the norm, there wasn't a Heath Ledger this year. He still stands so far as the only actor to receive an Academy Award for his comic book movie role. At least, for now.

(worship)

As much as I want to say there were standout performances from the norm, there wasn't a Heath Ledger this year. He still stands so far as the only actor to receive an Academy Award for his comic book movie role. At least, for now.

(worship)

That was such an anomalous performance! I've never seen any performance that good in a comic movie, or anything from Ledger even close to that. I mean, I haven't seen everything he was in, but A Knight's Tale and 10 Things I Hate About You didn't exactly telegraph that he had something like The Joker in him. Even in Brokeback.

I still wonder if Heath would have won, if he was still alive.

As stated already, I'm sure big hero 6 will get nominated. I can see some technical nods possibly for a couple of the other movies but, that's it. Don't expect the top categories, aside from music, any time soon.

(worship)

That was such an anomalous performance! I've never seen any performance that good in a comic movie, or anything from Ledger even close to that. I mean, I haven't seen everything he was in, but A Knight's Tale and 10 Things I Hate About You didn't exactly telegraph that he had something like The Joker in him. Even in Brokeback.

A Knight's Tale was such an oddball movie. Ledger's role put him in the spotlight as the next big girl toy. What a shocker what he pulled off as The Joker.

That is why I bet he would have been in the running for an Oscar anyway. It was so different from his other films. Even his role in The Patriot couldn't compare.

(worship)

A Knight's Tale was such an oddball movie. Ledger's role put him in the spotlight as the next big girl toy. What a shocker what he pulled off as The Joker.

That is why I bet he would have been in the running for an Oscar anyway. It was so different from his other films. Even his role in The Patriot couldn't compare.

Yeah, I of course don't know how his death affected the voting, but his winning in not undeserved. And I'm a pretty harsh critic of comic movies. IMHO The Dark Knight was pretty mediocre except when he was on screen.

(worship)

Roxbury native Chris Evans showed the most emotional depth as a funnybook actor in... Snowpiercer. Radius TWC should at least run a campaign for him. But, salary envy will pretty much eliminate him from any chance of winning. Hollywood can be a pretty jealous place and having a nine picture deal with the Mouse House hurts his odds. It's what made me chuckle a couple years back, when someone earnestly suggested Robert Downey Jr. win an Oscar for The Avengers. Super-talented actor, but essentially cashing paychecks for Disney. Academy Award politics will probably never go in his favor again. Heath Ledger, changed so many things for his character and the tragic circumstances of his death while doing his craft helped him standout to voters that year. It was the perfect storm for the talented young actor to win... deservedly.

In my humble opinion, because of the lengthy and expensive deals with a lot of these franchises to come. I don't see any of them bringing home major prizes again in March. Their success will their reward enough. The Academy always roots for the underdogs, with a lot of passion. It would have to be that type of a graphic novel movie.

Check it out. More CBM Oscar nominations.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 & GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Make Oscars Makeup/Hairstyling Shortlist

----------------

“The Amazing Spider-Man 2″

“Foxcatcher”

“The Grand Budapest Hotel”

“Guardians of the Galaxy”

“Maleficent”

“Noah”

“The Theory of Everything”

----------------

Nebula definitely looked great.

(:

:whistle:

:baiting: