• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes - What a joke

163 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

Spine stress lines break colour.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

¾" corner crease bottom left back cover does not break color

¼" tear right front cover

small chip/tears/creases top back cover

sunshadow right front cover

Instant and free.

The CGC ones cost me $10.

What the hell?? rantrant

Post your best grader notes that cost you money...

I never found the grader notes from CGC to be useful at all

I did one time. Called for notes as book I was wanting to buy looked better than the grade. Book had a small tear on one page. I bought the book anyway.

Notes were free then.

CGC charging for grader's notes is a joke and always has been. They should be available on line, and for free. :sumo:

Or if you don't want to make them available online you could print the notes on the back label. Other companies do that and it works great :baiting:

CGC charging for grader's notes is a joke and always has been. They should be available on line, and for free. :sumo:

Or if you don't want to make them available online you could print the notes on the back label. Other companies do that and it works great :baiting:

Wow, what a brilliant idea! :o

The notes can be useful for determining issues that don't jump out at you.

Obviously, these should be pretty apparent:

"¼" tear right front cover

sunshadow right front cover"

This one not so much:

Nevertheless....you cannot expect a page by page analysis for a book when all you truly see is the FC and BC. If there are issues inside that aren't apparent, the notes should reveal this. That's when the notes are valuable.

I'd be curious to see the early graders notes from the "Other Guys" compared to today seeing how backed up they are now. If your example was an early book, they might have tried to make it more detailed but I wonder how they are now and if that was recently graded, given they are now months behind as well...

Either way, they should be free, or built into the cost of all the books, along with that bogus invoice fee, even if it costs raising every tier a buck or something....

I have never bought grader notes for my books. but I have always been tempted for this one.

Oh and if anyone has 10 bucks they want to toss away feel free to find out for me /wink

1o0lfc.jpg

I have never bought grader notes for my books. but I have always been tempted for this one

1o0lfc.jpg

Wow got to be a page(s) folded over on the inside or something nasty.

Other Guy ASM 39 Blue Label. 8.0 OW/W. Quickstream turnaround, graded in early November of this year

Notes read:

light corner wear

some edge creases left back cover, does not break color

spine stress & light creases barely breaks color

1" edge crease bottom spine front cover, breaks color

Other Guy Superman 53 Blue Label 1.5 OW. Quick stream turnaround, graded in early November of this year

Notes read:

masking tape on entire spine of cover

lot of tears to cover

3" & 1" piece missing right front cover

Many tape stains to cover

2 staples added

Maybe CGC needs some computer help. Grader notes should be available when you look up a cert #, AND printed on the back of the label. It would cost them nothing. I can understand not wanting phone calls though, as that takes time away from other duties.

I also don't understand why the registry is not tied into everything, so new books are added automatically and immediately and when the first one is graded.

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

Spine stress lines break colour.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

¼" tear right front cover

sunshadow right front cover

Instant and free.

The CGC ones cost me $10.

What the hell?? rantrant

Post your best grader notes that cost you money...

While I'm not the biggest fan of CGC notes and their cost, this is essentially not a fair comparison. Is it the same book graded by both companies? if not who's to say the first book's only defect is what is listed. :shrug:

I get that people want them to be free like before or more detailed but haven't we discussed this before.

If you aren't happy with the turn around times, the fees, the notes etc there seems to be a perfect alternative but yet people still want to complain about CGC.

I never found the grader notes from CGC to be useful at all

I did one time. Called for notes as book I was wanting to buy looked better than the grade. Book had a small tear on one page. I bought the book anyway.

Notes were free then.

Yeah, back when they were free and you had to call in, I did the same for a beautiful-looking comic graded 7.5 by the CGC. Graders notes: "no grader's notes."

:shrug:

-slym