• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

Marvel has owned the Spider-Man TV rights since 2009.

Marvel Character Rights Shell Game Thread

It would be nice to see them finally pull something together after all this time via TV. The vast source material it could pull from with great villains would last for years.

:wishluck:

I'm surprised that they aren't doing anything on TV with the character.

Marvel has owned the Spider-Man TV rights since 2009.

Marvel Character Rights Shell Game Thread

It would be nice to see them finally pull something together after all this time via TV. The vast source material it could pull from with great villains would last for years.

:wishluck:

I'm surprised that they aren't doing anything on TV with the character.

I'm surprised too.

Maybe they were concerned whatever Marvel created may get compared to Sony, and there was a risk of audiences getting confused.

But the Spider-man brand has to be one of the most recognized globally, up there with Batman, Superman and Horatio Hellpop. Okay, maybe Horatio is more a dream on my part.

Maybe those rights are reserved for cartoons only?

That's a fair point. Some of these rights are so confusing (e.g. Elektra), even those in the know like Feige have to be careful what they say as the lawyers have to sort out what is reality versus desire.

--------------------

I contacted Weisman via email to find out where this major turn of events leaves The Spectacular Spider-Man. Did this mean Sony could continue producing Spectacular Spider-Man, but had no further claim to Spider-Man on TV beyond that? And if Sony had to step aside immediately, was it possible for Marvel to fully take over production of the show so it could continue?

Weisman explained, "Sony is NO LONGER involved with The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm informed that Marvel can now produce the series, but of course, they don't have to." Weisman noted he had "no clue" as to what Sony gained regarding Spider-Man's film rights that they didn't already have that led them to give up the TV rights to the character.

--------------------

The only thing that was clear at that time in 2009 was the animated rights, though it was assumed this meant all TV rights.

Even some of the article writers assumed Marvel has the live TV rights to Spider-Man and Wolverine (I didn't realize the latter, if that is the case).

Could Spider-Man and Wolverine guest-star on Agents of SHIELD?

---------------------

Technically, Marvel (and thus Disney) do have the TV rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men and all the other characters in the Marvel universe. So this is true, but I don’t think we’re in any danger of actually seeing Spider-Man or Wolverine on SHIELD, and here’s why.

Sony and Fox still have all the image rights to their versions of Spider-Man and the X-Men, so not only would Marvel have to recast the roles, but they’d also have to make sure they looked somewhat different. I don’t know that that means they’d have to put Spidey in his black suit or something, but I do know they couldn’t use the movie suit.

---------------------

So there is also something called 'Image Rights' where something produced cannot match what the other company has the production rights to make? Wow!

So a Marvel TV Spider-Man would have to look different from a Sony movie Spider-Man, if this is correct.

The Sony deal was for both the live and animated TV rights.

------------------

In early 2009, Sony returned all Spider-Man television rights (including live action) in exchange for an adjustment to the movie rights.

------------------

So this is how Sony gained great movie control, and most probably revenue share as well.

Sony No Longer Production Spectacular Spider-Man

------------------

"Only days before the huge news broke that Disney was buying Marvel, he had been told that Sony had relinquished all television rights to Spider-Man, including animation, in exchange for "some concession vis-a-vis the live action Spider-Man features."

------------------

I didn't catch that part in the original article about TV rights including animation.

So there is also something called 'Image Rights' where something produced cannot match what the other company has the production rights to make? Wow!

So a Marvel TV Spider-Man would have to look different from a Sony movie Spider-Man, if this is correct.

They might as well just create an original character then, imho. We had gotten a Dolf Lundgren Punisher that just looked like every other direct-to-video action star in 89's Punisher and a Daredevil that looked like a burglar in 89's TV movie "Trial of the Incredible Hulk". It's just never the same.

'The Amazing Spider-Man 3' movie release sooner than expected? (1/19/15)

------------------

However, rumor has it now that "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" will not be spearheaded by Sony and that Marvel Studios will be taking over the franchise from the company. While the parties are reportedly in talks to reach an amicable agreement, neither one of them have commented on the situation so far.

------------------

It's coming from Christian Today, so you know this has to be on the level.

(:

'The Amazing Spider-Man 3' movie release sooner than expected? (1/19/15)

------------------

However, rumor has it now that "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" will not be spearheaded by Sony and that Marvel Studios will be taking over the franchise from the company. While the parties are reportedly in talks to reach an amicable agreement, neither one of them have commented on the situation so far.

------------------

It's coming from Christian Today, so you know this has to be on the level.

(:

nice luckly my phone stayed on the page of the article title so i took a screen shot of it. 2015-01-19%2B21.47.54.png

nice luckly my phone stayed on the page of the article title so i took a screen shot of it. 2015-01-19%2B21.47.54.png

I found it!

Article has been removed

Either someone was reformatting what they posted, or they had to pull it down due to lack of facts. But the write-up was posted 3 hours ago. So they didn't have long to do this.

More about that Sony Sinister Six image that was posted today.

The Amazing Spider-Man 3: Is THIS Director The Right Fit?

-------------------

Corporations as big as Sony aren't the kind to sit still or go without a plan for too long. And the ongoing will-they-won't-they negotiations with Marvel over Spider-Man remains firmly in the land of rumor for the time being. So it's quite possible that a recent social media development is showing Sony to be testing the (international) waters for the Sinister SixSinister Sixand answering the question everyone has been asking: "Do they really have plans for The Amazing Spider-Man 3?"

-------------------