• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Aquaman 35

25 posts in this topic

Was checking out the census on cgc and only 39 copies graded?

We can all agree that this will only increase over time, but at this time, Dec. 20, 2014, it seems like anything over an 8.0 is just hard to find.....i think, here's the question though.

1. Do you own a RAW copy?

2. If so, is it higher than an 8.0?

Just trying to see if is "rare" and almost near impossible in 8.0 or higher, or if people just aren't grading.....yet.

I know aquaman wasn't considered a stapled series back in the day, so maybe that can explain why no one took good care of their books.

thoughts?

I should add, I only own one copy, found it in the wild, personally I think my copy is an 8.0 at worst, will need to get it pressed and slabbed soon.

I don't think that it is any more or less rare than the surrounding issues of the title -- that being said, I'm surprised that there really haven't been that many high grade copies pop up in the past year or so, with so many people actively looking for a copy. I'm sure the census will shoot way up now that VG copies are selling for $200 each.

I'd compare it to Detective 359, which is from the same year as Aquaman 35. There are over 500 graded copies of Detective 359 (over 100 of which are 8.0+) and many, many un-graded copies out there. For Aquaman 35, even VF copies didn't make much sense to slab until recently -- GPA shows 7.0's that were selling for $35-50 each in 2009/2010. And it doesn't get much love in the Price Guide with a $300 NM- price.

It definitely seems to be a book on the rise, but I think if you check back a year from now, the census will show quite a few more copies than it currently does.

For some reason, it's hard to find a book that isn't falling apart either. There are a lot of 1.5/2.5 copies out there online.

Most books I've come across have also had staple detachments in some form or another.

I had been on a personal search for this book for quite some time and finally had to settle for one that was a balance of a price I wouldn't hate myself. It still has a bottom centerfold detachment.

I think a lot of people feel hesitant because it's a book that a year or so ago was selling for under $50 in most grades raw. I know I wouldn't ever want to throw down 4x that for a VG.

more utter nonsense. the census numbers will grow like mushrooms in a dark basement now that the book is worth something.

(worship)

I remember when GL 76 was hard to find in NM.

Until it wasn`t.

Indeed, census numbers on Aqua 35 will grow especially as the Aqua film is rolled out, but that's not to say that there are plenty of raw VF+ or better copies out there that will one day light up GPA like a Christmas tree, the way Tec 359 does. SA Aquaman as a title didn't enjoy the same print run as the marquee DC titles did, and for whatever reason, SA Aquamans in strict VF+ and higher are not easy to come by. My guess is that collectors in the late 60s did not find Aquaman as collectable/appealing as, e.g., Batman or Green Lantern.

FWIW, I think Aquaman 11 and 29 are the real sleepers. Black Manta is well known thanks to the SuperFriends TV series, but my sense is that Mera and Aquaman's half-bro are going to be prominent in the Aquaman movie. I think we're going to see both in the upcoming JLA animated film being released in January.

Agreed that Aquaman wasn't as popular or the print run wasn't as high as Bat books. But, by and large, all the high grade copies come from collectors who cared for the books back then. There were more books printed for Bat titles, but the same kids were collecting and keeping their copies nice for Aquaman and Batman and the entire DC superhero line. There ought to be 50 to 100 HG copies out there, sitting in mylars. That will be enough for a normal census array of copies above 8.0.

Agreed that Aquaman wasn't as popular or the print run wasn't as high as Bat books. But, by and large, all the high grade copies come from collectors who cared for the books back then. There were more books printed for Bat titles, but the same kids were collecting and keeping their copies nice for Aquaman and Batman and the entire DC superhero line. There ought to be 50 to 100 HG copies out there, sitting in mylars. That will be enough for a normal census array of copies above 8.0.

I agree with the print run likely being lower than a more popular book like Batman or Superman. When you also factor in perceived lower value of these books in the 70's and 80s it might have influenced the level of care a collector gave them. Before I had all my comics bagged and boarded I had a very limited amount of cash and only my precious Marvel comics were protected. All others were In a suitcase or bin raw. I have had found similar difficulties collecting high grade copies of obscure DC titles and their keys like Hawkman 4 and Adventure Comics 283. Just not not as plentiful and harder to find in HG. I'm sure more will come out when demand hits a peak but for now it is not so easy.

Oops. Sorry. As a DC completists, all I had left was the romance and DC funny animals left, and when it came to actually paying money for decent copies, I balked. I still think they are cool, especially the Free Love sixties era, but I'm not really missing not ever having them.

Having said that, I HAVE become convinced over the years that Strange Adventures 180 is simply impossible to find in 9.4 and above.

Yes. Strange Adventures #180 is one of the very few late 60's DCs that is incredibly scarce in high grade.

Nobody saved them. Nobody cared for 20 years, and by the time anyone did...gone.

Think so? Give me a year and 100 million bucks to announce and produce an Animal Man movie and let's see how many 9.4 copies we see! Same as GL 76. We were wrong then, and when the demand grew, the books came out of hiding!

GL #76 has always been one of the most key books from its era, known and sought after nearly from the time it was new...bought up by the truckload in the 70's when Adams was blazing white hot, and saved.

Strange Adventures #180....?

Not so much.

Yes, but we were all convinced none of that mattered and that it was scarce in HG. My position is this: hoe many intact HG DC SA collections were there out there, both discovered and yet to be brought to market. 10? 20? 30? 50? That's how many copies could be waiting to be cashed in.

In truth, I could argue your position just as easily: it makes a lot of sense. Unwanted title, minor character, etc. But by the time SA 180 came out, I and many others were just buying titles like SA out of habit ...AND NEVER READING THEM anymore by then.

All we need for 180 to go from scarce to normal is 20 copies from collections like this. History has shown that they are out there. Or maybe not with that darn black cover.

more utter nonsense. the census numbers will grow like mushrooms in a dark basement now that the book is worth something.

(worship)

I remember when GL 76 was hard to find in NM.

Until it wasn`t.

Under the newer and more lax grading standards (looser grading and key bump) and with better pressing techniques? Definitely easier to find.

In truly strict OO/untouched NM? It still is tough to find. (thumbs u