• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brushed Aluminim Prints

26 posts in this topic

Sorry for the bad lighting and poor photos. These are gorgeous though.

Picked these up at Phoenix Fan Fest. Not too many artists had these. Jaime Tyndall has some pretty awesome prints buy Ivy caught my wife's eye. These will go great in out comic room.

Harley.jpg

Ivy.jpg

Does anyone else have any of these? Curious as to how to clean these. I would imagine chemicals are :naughty:

Yeah those looked really nice when I saw them at the booth. Had to spend some time looking but didn't buy one (but I definitely wanted too). I had a budget for other stuff and was sticking too it this time.

Nice pick-up though!

Does anyone else have any of these? Curious as to how to clean these. I would imagine chemicals are :naughty:

Wow, those look cool.

Maybe you can find out where the artist has them done. Here's one AluminArte site's FAQ:

http://www.imagewizards.net/faq/

"How do I clean the product?

You should use a microfiber towel for the best results along with Isopropyl alcohol or Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax."

If there's a maker's mark anywhere on the back you could call them and ask. Better safe than sorry with something so nice.

jGjKYqG.jpg

-slym (doesn't understand why people can't edit their pics to be message board friendly)

Dude, Slym I'm very sorry for my perceived slight or whatever it is you have against me. I'll try to edit the pictures to your liking. It gave me 2 options, a small thumbnail size or that large one. Again my apologies that my pictures disturb you time on the computer.

Stanley1883 is regretting posting a large image that Slym deemed unfriendly.

jGjKYqG.jpg

-slym (doesn't understand why people can't edit their pics to be message board friendly)

Dude, Slym I'm very sorry for my perceived slight or whatever it is you have against me. I'll try to edit the pictures to your liking. It gave me 2 options, a small thumbnail size or that large one. Again my apologies that my pictures disturb you time on the computer.

Dude:

:troll:

jGjKYqG.jpg

Dude:

:troll:

Your right, I'm just tired of the snarky attitudes.

Wow, that Harley Quinn does look really cool. I did a quick search and didn't find any for sale online. I believe Tyndall will be at Wizard World Portland next month , so hopefully he has more for sale. How much do these cost btw? And how big are they? (11x17?)

"How do I clean the product?Here's one AluminArte site's FAQ:

You should use a microfiber towel for the best results along with Isopropyl alcohol or Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax."

If there's a maker's mark anywhere on the back you could call them and ask. Better safe than sorry with something so nice.

Why would anyone recommend a solvent (alcohol) for cleaning an inked/painted surface?

"How do I clean the product?Here's one AluminArte site's FAQ:

Why would anyone recommend a solvent (alcohol) for cleaning an inked/painted surface?

You cut out the FAQ link from my quote that might've had answers. So here's details from a different provider: (emphasis mine)

http://www.itsonlynatural.us/print_options

"Print Direct To Aluminum

Metal prints are made with a dye-sublimation process. The inks are infused directly into specially coated aluminum sheets, using high temperature and pressure. The images take on a bright, vibrant, luminescent quality when printed on metal through this process.

...The Brushed Aluminum surface has a transparent backing layer that allows the brushed metal of the aluminum panel to show through in the finished prints."

The main thing would be to find out who produced them and inquire about cleaning whatever surface coatings were used.

Isoprophyl alcohol is a fairly safe general use cleaner, but better safe than sorry.

You cut out the FAQ link from my quote that might've had answer. So here's details from a different provider: (emphasis mine)

I noticed that immediately after dupont's post and edited it back in prior to yours.

Definitely did not want any confusion in attribution.

No problem. (thumbs u :) Those prints are fascinating and look really nice. Most sites say they're 'waterproof' so a dry or slightly damp microfiber cloth would probably be safe enough. Maybe a single drop of dish soap in some warm water for stubborn fingerprint oils. Spot test, anyway.

Even with the additional link, it just raises flags for me from a chemical point of view. One of those ??? moments. Alcohol would be great for cleaning the aluminum itself, but I would think you would want to keep it way from a thin layer of pigments, sprayed on via inkjet. With such a strong substrate it would be very easy for someone to "overdo" their cleaning, especially if you add in a solvent.

Even with the additional link, it just raises flags for me from a chemical point of view. One of those ??? moments. Alcohol would be great for cleaning the aluminum itself, but I would think you would want to keep it way from a thin layer of pigments, sprayed on via inkjet. With such a strong substrate it would be very easy for someone to "overdo" their cleaning, especially if you add in a solvent.

That's the thing with reading about 'Brushed Aluminum prints'. Most sites use terms like 'sublimate' and 'infused'. The opposite of 'thin layer' and 'sprayed via inkjet'. Like it's some special process/special equipment that actually gets inks into the aluminum plate, 'infused', below the surface.

But you point about caution with solvents is a good advice.

jGjKYqG.jpg

Nothing wrong with size.

Slym Just has a small Monitor

:facepalm:

I am not picking on any one person, I post that all over the place. Y'know, because LIKE EVERYONE HERE, I sometimes make comments on what is going on here on the boards. If I have offended anyone because they thought I was picking on them, I am sorry.

Calling me a troll is laughable though, and the person calling me that makes it even more laughable. I can only say, like I have said to that someone recently, if you have a problem with me, you can PM me, or just put me on ignore if you don't like me.

Now, please, carry on, you fine young men & women!

:)

-slym (has a laptop with a 17" screen, BTW)