• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
15 15

858 posts in this topic

Thoughts on an OW/W CGC 7 for $2K?

Local seller avoiding ebay/pp fees.  Thinking of picking it up but not sure if market is going to soften?  Ebay is LOADED with copies now and not a lot are moving unless they are auctions starting at a reasonable price or no reserve.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:35 PM, 99sscamaroma said:

Thoughts on an OW/W CGC 7 for $2K?

Local seller avoiding ebay/pp fees.  Thinking of picking it up but not sure if market is going to soften?  Ebay is LOADED with copies now and not a lot are moving unless they are auctions starting at a reasonable price or no reserve.

I think it is a no brainer.  129 hasn't gone up quite like GSX 1 or Hulk 181 the last 10 years, you are saving about 400 bucks off of FMV, iconic cover, apart of the most desired marvel series of all time, etc. 

On 4/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, lovesend1 said:

Add me to the club

20220228_143523.jpg

Just an FYI, If your regular board name did not have a number "1" at the end of it?

Spoiler

The boards migration in 2016 might have affected it, or that was typical of the board migration back then... :shy:

If you need your old profile back pm boardie cgc mike

But it does show you from 2010, so it might not be that lol 

Anyway, NICE BOOK! Hope to see more :whee: 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

I see this thread began after I stopped my collecting, and now it's an old thread LOL. I still have my 9.6 and three raw copies I got in the late 70's. I think those cost me about $15 each at a local show yearly, and they will end up in the 8.0-9.0 range.

This one I think is a solid 9.6 and can't be pushed up, who might think it's worth a try;

ASM 129 9.6 OWW.jpg

What do the grader's notes say, if any?  It's really a beautiful copy.

The only thing I see on the FC is a little bump in the center of the bottom of the cover which might be a trick of the light or a scanner artifact.  IF that's a bump, and if that's one of the reasons this is a 9.6 vs a 9.8, a press would take that out.  The difference in GPA value between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is almost $30,000!

Thanks, it's very hard to grade anything in the cases, we can't see the smallest defects. I sent in an ASM 101 that was a 9.6, because I couldn't see anything wrong with it. That came back as a 9.8 in about 2012 when I had found another nice 9.6, and then sold the 9.8 to buy my #3 or #4. Time keeps going, you gotta try to keep up.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:18 AM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

I see this thread began after I stopped my collecting, and now it's an old thread LOL. I still have my 9.6 and three raw copies I got in the late 70's. I think those cost me about $15 each at a local show yearly, and they will end up in the 8.0-9.0 range.

This one I think is a solid 9.6 and can't be pushed up, who might think it's worth a try;

ASM 129 9.6 OWW.jpg

Beautiful copy but I think you are stuck at a 9.6 based on the notes, as you said pretty hard to grade without it being out of the case

CGC Cert #
Title
Amazing Spider-Man
Issue
Issue Date
2/74
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
02/23/2009
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Gerry Conway story, Ross Andru,
Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt art
Gil Kane and John Romita cover
Key Comments
1st appearance of the Punisher
(Frank Castle) and the Jackal.
Grader Notes
Center Spine Small Scratch Breaks Color
Left Top Front Cover Small Printer's Tears

Edited by UncleBEN

On 7/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

ASM 129 9.6 OWW.jpg

So I did a thing.  Took my ASM 129 9.6 graded by the "Other guys that start with C" and sent it to CGC for the Gerry Conway signing and CCS for CPR.  Either I made a terrific decision or terrible.  What I can say, beside I'm a gambler?

On 7/29/2022 at 1:31 AM, UncleBEN said:

Ah, yes sir notes are free now I think?  Not sure if you need a membership or not, the amount you can look up in one sitting is throttled still I believe likely to save bandwidth or prevent flooding.

I do have a 9.8 121 that has some small printer tears, unsure of how deep that scratch they indicate is. 

Your mileage may vary for CPR. 

The ASM had a common printing error that I saw a lot. I bought about seven or so of the 121 to find a couple of nicer ones without that defect. The usual place was along the cover's bottom edge, two tiny tears evenly spaced, from the equipment moving the cover sheet I guess. My CGC issue is also a 9.6 that looks better, without knowing the grader notes. That was one of several I had already wanted to regrade.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:31 AM, UncleBEN said:

Ah, yes sir notes are free now I think?  Not sure if you need a membership or not, the amount you can look up in one sitting is throttled still I believe likely to save bandwidth or prevent flooding.

I do have a 9.8 121 that has some small printer tears, unsure of how deep that scratch they indicate is. 

Your mileage may vary for CPR. 

Either way you should get a premium for it as 129's are super hot right now

Here are a few of my favorites, the 9.4 was off the stands :)

image.thumb.jpeg.01366b8abd53fc74978774f77a6fdef7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4c93240a72a21ec3e612cdf0b9e57ac7.jpeg

But are they really "super hot"? It looks like prices are dropping right now. 

Last 9.2 sold at $4100, down from 4600, 5500, 4945.  

Last 9.4 sold at $5100, down from 6435, 6999.  

Last 9.6 sold at $8400, down from 9942, 9600

More like super cold to me.  

On 7/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

But are they really "super hot"? It looks like prices are dropping right now. 

Last 9.2 sold at $4100, down from 4600, 5500, 4945.  

Last 9.4 sold at $5100, down from 6435, 6999.  

Last 9.6 sold at $8400, down from 9942, 9600

More like super cold to me.  

Guess it is all relative, I get what you are saying. But I never would have thought we would ever see sales this high for a common book. BA keys have gone pretty nutty over the last year in my opinion

Last 129 9.6 I grabbed was 3k for a white page perfectly wrapped copy

What does 129 9.8 sell for these days ?  My signed copy was under 14k, my White pager albeit awhile back was significantly less

The last Hulk 181 9.8 W I picked up was 17k for example...

Just seems like a crazy trajectory for very common books, but you are correct the market is correcting but I personally think there are a lot more variables in play and desire for these books will remain strong.  Just will take some time for the economy to correct itelf.

Edited by UncleBEN