• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darth Tater

107 posts in this topic

Oh, that's no surprise. Take a closer look at billboards, magazine articles, television ads - ignorance of correct grammar and punctuation has spread to every conceivable corner. No one knows how to use an apostrophe anymore. No one. Every time I grade a paper from one of my undergraduate classes, I weep for the future of coherent communication.

OK, now we're straying from the far more important topic of potato products that resemble Lucasfilm properties, so let's keep our eye on the ball! smile.gif

Arnold

My wife is a tech writer and she's like Rain Man with that stuff. She'll be reading websites or other thing, then just sighs confused-smiley-013.gif and shakes her head Christo_pull_hair.gif.

*sigh*

I was a newspaper copy editor, then an educational measurement copy editor, and now am in medical publishing. You can't turn your brain off when you've spent your professional life looking for language errors. I find typos in EVERYTHING. It is maddening. Especially when I find it in my own posts..... And it's not just me. My editorial staff complain of the same thing. We bring in goofy f-ups that we find in published material and laugh about it. It's a sickness, really.

Apostrophes are the worst. My experience is that it doesn't matter who is doing the writing. It can be a fresh-out-of-college journalist, a seasoned writer of educational testing material, or one of the top physicians in medicine. They'll butcher apostrophes like Hannibal Lector.

screwy.gif

*sigh*

I was a newspaper copy editor, then an educational measurement copy editor, and now am in medical publishing. You can't turn your brain off when you've spent your professional life looking for language errors. I find typos in EVERYTHING. It is maddening. Especially when I find it in my own posts..... And it's not just me. My editorial staff complain of the same thing. We bring in goofy f-ups that we find in published material and laugh about it. It's a sickness, really.

Apostrophes are the worst. My experience is that it doesn't matter who is doing the writing. It can be a fresh-out-of-college journalist, a seasoned writer of educational testing material, or one of the top physicians in medicine. They'll butcher apostrophes like Hannibal Lector.

screwy.gif

I prefer them with some fava beans and nice Chianti. Personally.

lector.jpg

My Little Pony's what?

Sorry, the apostrophe for a plural thing always bugs me. Of course, the question is: should it be "My Little Pony"s or My Little Ponies?

OK, I'm done...

Pardon me while I tear my hair out - little grammar things make me nuts. And, according to the company, it is "My Little Ponies"

Proper nouns ending in y retain the y and add an s. My Little Ponys. foreheadslap.gif

I am with you, Arnold. The misuse of apostrophes drives me batty.

Oh, that's no surprise. Take a closer look at billboards, magazine articles, television ads - ignorance of correct grammar and punctuation has spread to every conceivable corner. No one knows how to use an apostrophe anymore. No one. Every time I grade a paper from one of my undergraduate classes, I weep for the future of coherent communication.

OK, now we're straying from the far more important topic of potato products that resemble Lucasfilm properties, so let's keep our eye on the ball! smile.gif

Arnold

My wife is a tech writer and she's like Rain Man with that stuff. She'll be reading websites or other thing, then just sighs confused-smiley-013.gif and shakes her head Christo_pull_hair.gif.

*sigh*

screwy.gif

"Lecter." poke2.gifyay.gifstooges.gif

I am appropriately shamed by two full pages pointing out my error. I knew it was wrong after I posted. I was too lazy to go back and edit it. So, not only do I not use proper punctuation, I am a sloth.

sorry.gif

I am appropriately shamed by two full pages pointing out my error. I knew it was wrong after I posted. I was too lazy to go back and edit it. So, not only do I not use proper punctuation, I am a sloth.

sorry.gif

Time to hit the blackboard, Bart Simpson style! yay.gif

*Please* don't feel bad Red Hook, and please don't take offense. I wasn't trying to single you out, really. There have been five million far worse postings that I've just let go when I wanted to point out some little punctuation thing, and this time I just thought for the hell of it I would make the joke about the "Ponys" vs. "Ponies." I usually suppress my anal editorial impulses. smile.gif

Arnold

sorry.gif

The important question is...

Are you a happy sloth?

If you are, then no worries!

thumbsup2.gif

*Please* don't feel bad Red Hook, and please don't take offense. I wasn't trying to single you out, really. There have been five million far worse postings that I've just let go when I wanted to point out some little punctuation thing, and this time I just thought for the hell of it I would make the joke about the "Ponys" vs. "Ponies." I usually suppress my anal editorial impulses. smile.gif

Arnold

Don't reinforce bad behavior with praise!!! makepoint.gif Haven't you ever had a puppy? Don't you know anything????

(Kidding, Brad. flowerred.gif)

I know my own grammar and spelling aren't always what they should be, but as long as we're venting over improper use of the apostrophe, can people stop adding it to numerically expressed decades (i.e. "the 1990's").