• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
25 25

4,103 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, Old_Man_Adam said:

X-men may be the last OG series that is relatively affordable 

Daredevil...  Avengers outside the 1st appearance keys.  (1, 4, 8 and 57)

Fantastic four outside of the big keys is still relatively affordable.  Problem with FF and ASM is there are soooo many keys.  

43 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

Just asking for a little advise.  Should I stretch and get the highest grade possible that I can afford or get two lower grade books (1.8-2.5 X-Men 1 and and another silver key in the same grade range)?

do what makes u comfortable. The later scenario is good. I had an opportunity to buy a DD 1 9.0 locally for about 9-10k this year but that’s a lot of dough to sit on 

4 hours ago, carter3175 said:

Just asking for a little advise.  Should I stretch and get the highest grade possible that I can afford or get two lower grade books (1.8-2.5 X-Men 1 and and another silver key in the same grade range)?

Generally my advice is,  go for the higher grade. But I have found on books like that sometimes it's more about the right opportunity. 

If you see a 2.0 or 2.5 that speaks to you,  go for it. 

8 hours ago, carter3175 said:

I don't know if your intention is to keep the book(s) or flip them, but if you're buying for keeps I think it's better to buy one book at a grade you think you'll be happy with long term.  It can get expensive if you buy two books and in both cases you're really wishing you had a higher grade copy and you eventually decide to sell those for upgrades.  Better to lock one in and chase the other over time, IMHO.

On 12/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, carter3175 said:

SuperBird, If you know anyone selling their copy in that range and need cash for Christmas send them my way! :wishluck:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-1-Cgc-4-5-Cr-ow-Pages-Marvel-Silver-Age-1st-Magneto/333772019617?hash=item4db65cd7a1:g:ZwUAAOSws0ZfnIqb

?

Edited by SuperBird

2 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Would it be simpler if we renamed this topic "Silver age comics that are NOT heating up"? :)

We would be here quite awhile if we want to list Silver Age books that are ice cold.  Pretty much everything non key are not moving (especially mid to low grade) unless priced very low.  Sadly I'd rather have a store room full of modern books right now compared to mid/low grade filler Silver Age books.

4 minutes ago, littledoom said:

There’s a 5% ebuck promo today until the 23rd. That should help 

I get sick and tired of some of the listings. Just when I think I see something that I might want it turns out to be a resto book.  doh!

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

We would be here quite awhile if we want to list Silver Age books that are ice cold.  Pretty much everything non key are not moving (especially mid to low grade) unless priced very low.  Sadly I'd rather have a store room full of modern books right now compared to mid/low grade filler Silver Age books.

That has been changing over the last half of the year with a lot of the more popular mid 60s SA Marvel (and SA Batman on the DC front) books hitting $80-$100 in CGC 6.0. Those $20-30 FN run filler books are jumping now. Check out these prices on some well toasted lots with moderate to heavy tanning, and no real keys of note, from the Sunday night Heritage auction yesterday:

The Amazing Spider-Man Group of 54 (Marvel, 1966-80) Condition: Average FN.... (Total: 54 ) - $7200 with BP or over $130/book :whatthe: (approximate OSPG value in grade of $1800) 

Fantastic Four Group of 55 (Marvel, 1966-76) Condition: Average FN.... (Total: 55 ) - $1560 with BP  (approximate OSPG value in grade of $1050)

X-Men Group of 24 (Marvel, 1966-77) Condition: Average FN.... (Total: 24 ) - $1200 with BP (approximate OSPG value in grade of $800)

I was watching the ASM lot and could not believe it hit that high with all of the tanning on the books. It was fun to watch - after it hit the $2000 mark there were a couple of bidders that were in a serious bidding war to win it.

Edited by kimik