• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

So what is the impact of books missing a piece like this? Does it effect the value of a book with a similar grade that is complete?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-CGC-5-5-FN-Universal-CGC-0265347001-/202435356534?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

As Sweet Lou stated, it will affect it relative to other copies. However, it looks like this book may be improved with a press based on the bends on the edges. Someone may take a run at it to try the CPR game.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Now you're getting into the subjective part of how a book gets valued by the market.  Especially for in-demand keys with reasonable supply, for a given grade there can be differences in value based on subjective factors like chipping, missing pieces, color depth, centering, staple placement, writing and stamps, you name it.  I say "subjective" even though in many of these cases, they will have been "objectively" figured into the grade already.

In general, a book with better eye appeal (which is usually but not universally easy to decide) will command a better price.  Many collectors (like myself) will prefer a book whose defects are "hidden" (on the back cover instead of the front, for example).

Usually I will steer away from a book that I know has some issue that might make it less desirable to other collectors when the day comes that I need to sell.  Generally speaking it's always better to own a book that is considered "good for its grade."  But if a book is not quite "good for its grade" but you're getting a great deal as a result, sometimes that's the best move and you can look upon that little defect with a smile knowing that you saved some $$$.

-What someone is willing to pay 

7 hours ago, jjfversion1 said:

They do, but I don't think their auctions are accessible after they have ended like Ebay and Heritage.

ComicConnect auctions are in fact accessible, if you know the direct link to the page containing the book or if you saved the book to your watch list.  They just don't support a search for sold books that would lead you there.

ComicLink on the other hand will disable links to sold books after some time has passed, so that the record is essentially expunged unless you took notes.  (Not that I know anyone who obsessively takes notes on auction results for books he's interested in.)

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

ComicConnect auctions are in fact accessible, if you know the direct link to the page containing the book or if you saved the book to your watch list.  They just don't support a search for sold books that would lead you there.

ComicLink on the other hand will disable links to sold books after some time has passed, so that the record is essentially expunged unless you took notes.  (Not that I know anyone who obsessively takes notes on auction results for books he's interested in.)

i dont know anyone who does that either. or takes screen shots.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:56 PM, carter3175 said:

Just asking for a little advise.  Should I stretch and get the highest grade possible that I can afford or get two lower grade books (1.8-2.5 X-Men 1 and and another silver key in the same grade range)?

I like the two books...If you're looking for % gain, people are being priced out so entry level books go for a premium. Plus you diversify your investment some...like people say Avengers 1 hasn't had the gains of the other silver age keys, imagine if you bought that in high grade over...I dunno, lower grade AF 15 and TOS 39? There was a time when that was very possible to do. I'm more of a completist anyway, so I like to get my foot in the door and chase upgrades for the rest of eternity...

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Just curious to get everyone 's thoughts about the rise in Avengers 8 the past few months... will it continue or likely drop once the Ant man movie appears 

Depends on how prominent Kang is? Like, if he's a one-off villain maybe it cools down, but if they set him up as part of a larger thing (like Loki or Nebula during the Infinity Saga), then I imagine it'll keep rising.