• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, kimik said:

Actually, check out GPA for 5.5 - 7.5 ASMs between 51 and 80ish. It is crazy - a lot of the slabbed copies selling online in mid grade are $100+ now. The same is happening with other titles now as well. It makes sense - with the amount of money being pumped into the economy we should see inflation sooner or later.

sorry, just looked hoping beyond hope that I'd see what you are claiming, but I don't see it -- yes, if you go above 8.0 then I can see some $100+ action, but not 5.5-7.5 ...................

Edited by fishbone

2 hours ago, PKJ said:

It was an older Ferrari,much like comics there were requirements like Gated shifted Solid roof etc although I have no desire to own one past a F355 personally. But the car is wedged in between the other two in the Garage. The ASM 1 was the lowest graded at a 5.0 the rest were 7ish and up. It may not exactly buy two, but I would suspect that run is worth 30% more at least now. 

IMG_1372.JPG

Where does he get those wonderful cars?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

How do you get into those cars?

Like a chess game. the M3 has to come out first, then the rest come out. Can't gain weight either so is good for discipline. 

36 minutes ago, fishbone said:

sorry, just looked hoping beyond hope that I'd see what you are claiming, but I don't see it -- yes, if you go above 8.0 then I can see some $100+ action, but not 5.5-7.5 ...................

Here are the GPA results I am seeing as of Dec 2020:

#51 - $100+ in 5.0+

#52 - $125+ in 7.0, with last 5.5 sale of $105 in Sep 2020

#53 - $116 in 5.0, with 6.5 and up over $119 all year

#54 - $110+ in 7.0+

#55 - $100+ in 6.0+ all year

#56 - $100+ in 7.0+

#57 - below $100 in sub 8.0 which makes sense since it is plentiful in high grade; however the last 5.0 sale was $60

#58 - below $100 in sub 8.0 which makes sense since it is plentiful in high grade; however the last 5.0 sale was $71

#59 - above $100 in 6.0+

#60 - $120+ in 7.5+, but below that  in lower grades; however 4.0s are hitting $60 which is :screwy:

#61 - $100+ in 6.5+

#62 - $100+ in 6.5+, with 4.0s hitting $80 (and a 3.5 just sold for $51)

#63 - $100+ in 7.0+ now

#64 - $100+ in 6.5+ 

#65 - below $100 in sub 8.0

#66 - $100+ in 6.5+ (another head scratcher for such a common book in mid through high grade)

#67 - below $100 in sub 8.0

#68 - below $100 in sub 8.0 with Nov 2020 5.0 sale at $54 and Dec 2020 5.5 at $80

#69 - below $100 in sub 8.0, with last 7.5 at $99 

#70 - $100+ in 6.5+ this fall

And that is as far as I am going to go. I noticed the trend with my auction sales as well. 

13 hours ago, PKJ said:

Not to get too off topic, I collect cars along with about 15 other vices and always wanted a Ferrari, I have always kept hobby moneys separated, so I decided to sell my ASM 1-100 run to pay for the Ferrari. No regrets, love the car and the Comic collection showed major appreciation due to how and when it was bought. Today though, I could buy two Ferrari's for the money that 1-100 run would garner now. The Car has gained in value but nothing like the comics. So enjoy what you like and if a move brings something in you love, do it. 

Phillip

I have a philosophy with collectibles (comics being the only ones I chase). I only ever sell comics to fund other comic purchases and once you sell, never look back.  

I've sold an ASM 101 and a few FF48s to fund other purchases. Those books took off and outpaced the book I bought, but I'm still really happy with what I got. 

Enjoy the Ferrari and get an awesome Peter Parker licences plate! 

Trends in a range of ASM issues over that large a range obscure the fact that there are still individual issues that are more desirable. The first Mary Jane cover comes to mind as one that stands out. Another is the Medusa cover with the hard-to-find white pages and white colored cover. I searched for a copy of that one I could be happy with for a while. It is better to look at trends in individual issues. Beyond those, 73 and 78 feature first appearances of villains, which are obviously all the rage.

53 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I agree that ASM #1-100 covers a TON of ground.  Most collectors are not going to be able to treat that large a run uniformly, in terms of target grades, spending level, etc.

Yep. I have a lot of money tied up in my mini 1-50 ASM run. I have a few in the latter half of the Lee/Romita run and debating finishing it again. Frankly selling later issue ASMs has allowed my to buy lots of other cool and expensive books.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I agree that ASM #1-100 covers a TON of ground.  Most collectors are not going to be able to treat that large a run uniformly, in terms of target grades, spending level, etc.

I was just referring to a comparatively barren era of 51-80, but yeah, the point is especially true when it comes to the first 100 issues.

4 hours ago, comicartfan said:

Daredevil 7 seems to be heating up. I know it's always been a desirable book, but I see prices jumped the last couple of months. 

Something about Charlie Cox reprising his role as Daredevil in one of the Disney+ TV shows.  :whistle:  

On 12/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, PKJ said:

It was an older Ferrari,much like comics there were requirements like Gated shifted Solid roof etc although I have no desire to own one past a F355 personally. But the car is wedged in between the other two in the Garage. The ASM 1 was the lowest graded at a 5.0 the rest were 7ish and up. It may not exactly buy two, but I would suspect that run is worth 30% more at least now. 

Tucked in.JPG

I see you have several skate boards and then what looks like comics on the wall. Can you do a close of those (the comics and maybe the skate boards in case someone wants to see those too).

also-- what year make model is the green car?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Those skate boards are awesome.  I tried skateboarding once and almost broke my wrist when I fell down.  Back to biking I went.

Well the fact that you are like 7 feet tall may have increased the impact force.

:jokealert:

Happy New Year Sir!

-bc

I enjoyed skateboarding though it was the mid-1970s so the board I used initially had metal wheels. It was quite the upgrade to the one I bought at a Venture that had polyurethane wheels. It was Silver and had a curved fishtail so you could do 360 spins. Then I dropped it and went on to BMX riding.