• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern #40 CGC NM/M 9.8!!! Very Rare Silver age Key issue

33 posts in this topic

hi.gifI have a question and that is, is it possible to take page quality into consideration when posting GP results? I've mentioned this before to GP and they said that it may happen in the future, but this is a huge factor in weighing the value of a graded book...especially as the price begins to climb, and would account for many recorded "low ball" figures of some sales. It may make things a bit more complicated to display but there should be way. Another possibility is listing who sold the books...perhaps a link for each sale. I know that there are some transactions that prefer to stay anonymous but this is usually the minority. This would be interesting as it could show sales trends in different regions.

Thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hope Mark DOESN'T take these off. I like seeing which books dealers have sold and what they sold for. I don't mind the extra effort of scrolling past the sold books. Why is more information bad?

I think Mark needs to remove the sold books from his list of current items for sale and create an archive for the stuff that has sold. Much the same way Heritage does it.

I hope Mark DOESN'T take these off. I like seeing which books dealers have sold and what they sold for. I don't mind the extra effort of scrolling past the sold books. Why is more information bad?

I think Mark needs to remove the sold books from his list of current items for sale and create an archive for the stuff that has sold. Much the same way Heritage does it.

Other than Heritage (who deserve big kudos for their fantastic archives), do ANY sites provide such an archive?

For the higher end books changing hands, like your GL #40, I agree that Ebay is volatile at best, as very few books of this caliber even make it on there. But with mid/late SA Marvels in 9.0 to 9.4, and other common books, there aren't too many surprises. And since you can count on these books to be on Ebay at some point, it just makes sense as a buyer to use a tool like GPA inorder to arrive at a price point for these books, and wait it out until a copy comes up for auction. Plus, it's very difficult for us "low end" high grade collectors who typically don't spend more than 2K on a single book to get into that "inner circle" of private sales, so Ebay and GPA tend to be our best bet. It may be a virtual "garage sale" of high grade comics, but for those of us who don't make a large enough blip on the radar to be offered the best books privately, Ebay and dealer websites are basically the only way to find the books we want.

Question: When are you going to take the books that have sold off of your site? Some sold listings have sat there for a long time.

I have removed more than half of them and I wish that I would not have. Collectors seem to like to reference the sales. The prices listed are the actual price the book sold for and that seems to be good information.

I wish I was better at HTML because i think it is time to create and archive. I agree with you though and should have them on a seperate database after a certain length of time.

let me think on this but THANKS for the insights and the comments.

Mark

Question: When are you going to take the books that have sold off of your site? Some sold listings have sat there for a long time.

Hi Tim

I am going to intall a button on the HOME page that will pull up all of the past sales.

What are your thoughts on this?

I was thinking about leaving SOLD comics on the database for one month after the sale and then transferring that information to a different SOLD database that would continue to build.

Your insight and other collector's thoughts on this issue would be helpful.

Mark

hi.gifI have a question and that is, is it possible to take page quality into consideration when posting GP results? I've mentioned this before to GP and they said that it may happen in the future, but this is a huge factor in weighing the value of a graded book...especially as the price begins to climb, and would account for many recorded "low ball" figures of some sales. It may make things a bit more complicated to display but there should be way.Thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, that is an EXCELLENT idea. As an example, a copy Fantastic Four #44 in 9.4 with ow/w pages may sell for $400.00 and a comparible 9.4 with c/ow pages may sell for $200.00 a few days apart on ebay, yet all we see is the sale price. Page quality on more common high grade silver age books (definately on Bronze) has a huge impact on the realized price.

This needs to be explored.

Mark

Hi Tim

I am going to intall a button on the HOME page that will pull up all of the past sales.

I was thinking about leaving SOLD comics on the database for one month after the sale and then transferring that information to a different SOLD database that would continue to build.

Mark

Hi Mark, that sounds fine to me. As I said in my earlier post, I don't really care where the sold listings go, as long as they're there somewhere. I think most collectors (certainly myself) appreciate getting as much info as possible. Leaving the sold comics on the sales listings for 1 month or so, before moving them to the separate sold database, sounds like a reasonable approach.

Hi Tim

Mark

Hi Mark, that sounds fine to me. As I said in my earlier post, I don't really care where the sold listings go, as long as they're there somewhere. I think most collectors (certainly myself) appreciate getting as much info as possible. Leaving the sold comics on the sales listings for 1 month or so, before moving them to the separate sold database, sounds like a reasonable approach.

i concur with tim.

Info is good - More info is better!!

when i sold my 3 GL's on Pedigree i struggled to find a starting price due to the dearth of HG mid SA DC data. it took months of adjusting the prices down to where a single buyer took all 3. although i wasn't in any particular hurry, i understand the need for speed occasionaly.

just keep all your sales on record somewhere and it'll be much appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

Mark, love the idea of a sales archive. I've often wondered...if you sell a book for less than your asking price, do you just flag it as sold, or do you reduce the price to what you actually sold it for and then flag it? Actual sale price data, would of course, be a lot more valuable.

Mark, love the idea of a sales archive. I've often wondered...if you sell a book for less than your asking price, do you just flag it as sold, or do you reduce the price to what you actually sold it for and then flag it? Actual sale price data, would of course, be a lot more valuable.

Jeff, based on the books I've purchased from Mark, which have always been at less than the listed price (sorry Mark, I hope I'm not giving away trade secrets here), I can confirm that he shows the actual sale price rather than the higher originally listed price.