• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers opinions: should a buyer have an idea of the price?

69 posts in this topic

Is it wrong for me as a seller to have some expectation that a buyer knows/ has some idea of the value of a book they are interested in buying? Just curious what others think. For example, use a book of some value, not dollar books.

I can understand if the book is somewhat rare and pricing is difficult to determine, but for a commonly found key book it is my opinion that if you are buying the book you should do some research, and have an idea of the price.

If people are buying a key, I would hope they have a general idea of it's value. At the same time though (and this may not pertain to your question), as a buyer, I hate asking a seller the price of a book and they reply with what are you offering.

Yep, generally I'll deliberately lowball or walk away at that point. You know the seller is going to take your offer right away if it's higher than his selling point, and try to push you up if it's lower. I rate that method of selling as unethical.

Is it wrong for me as a seller to have some expectation that a buyer knows/ has some idea of the value of a book they are interested in buying? Just curious what others think. For example, use a book of some value, not dollar books.

I can understand if the book is somewhat rare and pricing is difficult to determine, but for a commonly found key book it is my opinion that if you are buying the book you should do some research, and have an idea of the price.

If people are buying a key, I would hope they have a general idea of it's value. At the same time though (and this may not pertain to your question), as a buyer, I hate asking a seller the price of a book and they reply with what are you offering.

Yep, generally I'll deliberately lowball or walk away at that point. You know the seller is going to take your offer right away if it's higher than his selling point, and try to push you up if it's lower. I rate that method of selling as unethical.

If I ask how much it is I require an answer price. If I don't get a price I am wasting my time and move on.

If I ask how much it is I require an answer price. If I don't get a price I am wasting my time and move on.

+1

Buyer and seller should have a range of what they want/will take. Part of the expertise of the seller is actually selling the book. Figure the price, work with the buyer, move around a bit, etc. It burns me up when I shoot an offer and all I get is a 'no' without a counter-offer (thankfully that is a rare occurance around here). Lowball or not, I just don't understand the concept behind telling someone 'no' and not offering a 'non-negotiable price' in response. Isn't that the point of making a sale? To actually sell the item you have for sale at a price you are comfortable with? Is it actually too much trouble to type 21 extra characters on the keyboard: "No, but I'll take $XXX"?

Buyers should always know the price. However, I have a price I want to spend too. I usually offer about $10 below the price I want to pay and then counter up. It obviously depends on cost.

I'd never buy something without having done some research and in todays world there is no excuse not to.

Only an amateur would ask this question.......... :sumo:

an amateur with a high and whiny voice to boot.

Is there no room for the impulse buy in collectible comics? Man at show with money in pocket sees something he likes and considers buying it...is that so far fetched? Shouldn't a seller of collectibles also be an educator? In the world of comic art it generally works that way; I learn more from Scott Eder each time we talk and therefore become more likely to buy his wares over time.

If I/We were mind readers the retail business from the dealer side would be much more lucrative than it really is.

What something is worth varies from person to person.

A dealer has his buy value.

A flipper has his number.

The Upgrader has his number.

The run collector may have his budget number to contend with.

The die hard OSPG guy may go with the "I pay 80% of OSPG" or I'm moving on. You know this buyer. Their OSPG is battered, folded and has so many spine splits from being open that you wonder if they can read the numbers. Sometimes has post it notes on the most referenced pages. Makes the face when they see an Over guide price on a book they want. Shaking head or stare is made your way.

A collector looking for his birthday book may have another.

The GPA 12 month moving average guy has his number.

The GPA last sale guy has his.

The 10% less than GPA last sale guy has his.

There is the guy with Champagne tastes and a beer wallet. He dreams that you will take $100 for a $200 book because that is all he has in his wallet. You can generally identify them when they say "If I win the lotto I'm going to buy that book".

The 50% off guy regardless of condition doesn't care what the value is.

The "I know you need the money buyer" knows exactly what it is worth but every dollar he chews you down is a $1 more he makes. They are looking for the "What makes you cry uncle" price.

Easy question to answer if you can figure out which person you are talking to.

I love it! ....and, I have met every one of those guys. :wink:

To add my 2c :

Your strategy may be to price it at guide and negotiate from there.

It may be to mark it up x% over what you've paid.

It may be to price it at double Overstreet and always have a half off sale.

It may be to look at the GPA 12 month or 90-day or last sale and go from there.

It may be to gauge eBay completed listings.

In the end, regardless of the customer that approaches you, regardless of his buying habits, you need to sell it for more than what you paid for it in order to keep the store in business, the merchandise changing, and maintaining cash flow.

Your profit margin will change from customer to customer, and that's perfectly fine. You just have to keep the volume moving.

Is there no room for the impulse buy in collectible comics? Man at show with money in pocket sees something he likes and considers buying it...is that so far fetched? Shouldn't a seller of collectibles also be an educator? In the world of comic art it generally works that way; I learn more from Scott Eder each time we talk and therefore become more likely to buy his wares over time.

There are such buyers as well, Karl. We can also be educators. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many folks need to be reassured that they're buying a decent book and not overpaying. A lot of times, they know the book is decent, the price isn't outrageous, yet they still need a little nudge. That's where good salesmanship becomes important. Always a good quality to have. (thumbs u

There are such buyers as well, Karl. We can also be educators. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many folks need to be reassured that they're buying a decent book and not overpaying. A lot of times, they know the book is decent, the price isn't outrageous, yet they still need a little nudge. That's where good salesmanship becomes important. Always a good quality to have. (thumbs u

Who is this Karl? But thanks for the reply, Karl.

Who is this Karl? But thanks for the reply, Karl.

Sorry, I looked at your avatar and thought you were someone else. My apologies. :foryou:

to put it plainly, if you are offering something with the potential of "or best offer", never put your best price as the starting point as you have almost no way to haggle. Many people love to haggle the price. In some countries, I've heard it is an insult not to haggle.

That 200 is a buy it now price. You best offer price should have been 250 or possibly higher.

You asked the question for Dave/thehumantorch? :o Way to take one for the team. (thumbs u

The best buyers are the impulse female comic readers/collectors that are there with their boyfriends or husbands. They see a book, ask the boyfriend/husband to pay, and you can see the guys squirm as they know there will be no haggling re: prices. lol

You asked the question for Dave/thehumantorch? :o Way to take one for the team. (thumbs u

My voice isn't high :sumo:

If I/We were mind readers the retail business from the dealer side would be much more lucrative than it really is.

What something is worth varies from person to person.

A dealer has his buy value.

A flipper has his number.

The Upgrader has his number.

The run collector may have his budget number to contend with.

The die hard OSPG guy may go with the "I pay 80% of OSPG" or I'm moving on. You know this buyer. There OSPG is battered, folded and has so many spine splits from being open that you wonder if they can read the numbers. Sometimes has post it notes on the most referenced pages. Makes the face when they see an Over guide price on a book they want. Shaking head or stare is made your way.

A collector looking for his birthday book may have another.

The GPA 12 month moving average guy has his number.

The GPA last sale guy has his.

The 10% less than GPA last sale guy has his.

There is the guy with Champagne tastes and a beer wallet. He dreams that you will take $100 for a $200 book because that is all he has in his wallet. You can generally identify them when they say "If I win the lotto I'm going to buy that book".

The 50% off guy regardless of condition doesn't care what the value is.

The "I know you need the money buyer" knows exactly what it is worth but every dollar he chews you down is a $1 more he makes. They are looking for the "What makes you cry uncle" price.

Easy question to answer if you can figure out which person you are talking to.

Well said sir!

+ 1000000000000

There should be T shirts with this on them :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've created such a situation in more than one 'WTB' thread.

I tend not to list the price I'm looking to pay because I'd rather have a back and forth dialogue with any potential seller to see where we end up at. I intuitively feel like stating a price would result in less opportunities to talk about it with potential sellers, but perhaps I'm wrong here?

I know that part of the problem with my approach is that sellers are afraid of wasting their time with ridiculous low ball offers, so I always state I'm looking to 'pay a fair price', but for some reason, this often seems to annoy people or perhaps make them suspicious :shrug:

What tends to happen is that a potential buyer will ask 'how much are you offering?' to which I typically reply 'I'm looking for a fair price - how much do you want for your book?' This query, more often than not, results in the potential buyer again asking me how much I want to spend. Obviously, the answer is 'as little as possible while still being realistic'. I'm sure some buyers feel otherwise, just as I'm sure some seller's may think a 'WTB' post means the buyer is looking for a 20% markup.

At the end of the day I want everyone to be happy - I want to be happy with my book, I want the seller to have gotten a fair price, and I want them to be willing and happy to sell to me again in the future... I'm not sure I've figured out how to make all of this happen in an online setting, but hopefully I figure it out soon.