• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Reholder or Regrade?

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I've got two older graded comics that I'm trying to decide whether or not to have re-slabbed or re-graded, so I thought I'd get some opinions. :)

Here's the first one: Wolverine #10

Wolverine_10_zps49458418.jpgWolverine_10_corner_zps86985d7e.jpg

Besides the Off-White to White pages and a little bit of fraying in the upper corner I think it has a good chance of getting a higher grade. (maybe a 9.4) :grin:

Here's the second one: Uncanny X-Men #266

X-Men_266_zpsa3c28bd5.jpg

X-Men_266_corner_zps699316ab.jpg X-Men_266_corner2_zps46b573e3.jpg

The lower corners and spine of the Uncanny X-Men are obviously concerning which makes me think it'll receive less than a 9.2.

What do you all think?

I wouldn't bother doing anything.

I doubt you will see a grade improvement, and you would just be paying to change the slab/ type of label.

Sell them as "old label goodness" and take the money and buy what you really want.

So are you saying the older labels can change the value of a graded comic? ???

It is possible. Some folks feel that CGC was stricter in the early days and that an old label may yield a little higher with a new label. On the other hand, it is possible Paper Quality can downgrade a bit through time and storage conditions, so a White Pages book may end up being Off-White to White.

There is actually nothing that definitely substantiates the old label regarding to a higher grade but some folks do believe that.

So are you saying the older labels can change the value of a graded comic? ???

It is possible. Some folks feel that CGC was stricter in the early days and that an old label may yield a little higher with a new label. On the other hand, it is possible Paper Quality can downgrade a bit through time and storage conditions, so a White Pages book may end up being Off-White to White.

There is actually nothing that definitely substantiates the old label regarding to a higher grade but some folks do believe that.

There is also the belief among some collectors that old labels are much less likely to be pressed. So if someone prefers unpressed books (or hopes to get a grade bump from pressing an unpressed book) an old label offers an opportunity.

Think about this on the Wolvie #10 (I didn't look at the X-Men GPA).

Last GPA on 9.2 (December, 2014) = $36

Last GPA on 9.4 (November, 2014) = $38

Last GPA on 9.6 (December, 2014) = $64

Now think about how much you would spend to ship To and from)/regrade/press (if you decide to press) and include the invoice fee and well, you do the math...

That is all assuming you might squeeze an upgrade and you always risk a downgrade too.

I wouldn't bother doing anything.

I doubt you will see a grade improvement, and you would just be paying to change the slab/ type of label.

Sell them as "old label goodness" and take the money and buy what you really want.

Agree 100%

Think about this on the Wolvie #10 (I didn't look at the X-Men GPA).

Last GPA on 9.2 (December, 2014) = $36

Last GPA on 9.4 (November, 2014) = $38

Last GPA on 9.6 (December, 2014) = $64

Now think about how much you would spend to ship To and from)/regrade/press (if you decide to press) and include the invoice fee and well, you do the math...

That is all assuming you might squeeze an upgrade and you always risk a downgrade too.

I agree. If you are doing this in attempt to make more money off the books, then it does not make sense. If you are only re-grading/re-holdering 1 or 2 books, then it will cost about $30 per book after you add in the grading/re-holdering fee, invoice fee, and shipping to and from CGC.

However, if you just want them to looker better in your collection and don't care what it costs, then I would just re-holder. There are enough issues with the condition of the books that it is possible they would re-grade lower.

The problem with the X-Men 266 (piece out of lower corner) will prevent the book from getting bumped up to 9.4

Pressing won't help much, as the creases on the spine break color.

You'll get a decent price on the book , as is, I'd think it'd sell for around $150-200.

The Wolverine is only only worth regrading if you can get a 9.8 out of it.That is not possible with that copy.

Check the GPA or just the most recent sold prices for the 2 books in 9.2 and set your Buy It Now figures off of the middle ground.