• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better the Second Time

21 posts in this topic

Like many boardies, I left comics for a while and upon my return, started buying comics from my 'nostalgic era' (late Bronze/early Copper). Some stories held up well (hellooo Dark Phoenix); some did not hold up as well as I remembered (sadly, too many to list). To my surprise, there were some stories that were much better as an adult than I remembered as a kid - notably Nexus by Baron and Rude and Frank Miller's Daredevil run. For these two it's a combination of themes that were over my head at the time as well as an increased appreciation of the art and story. Although many modern comics are specifically written for mature audiences, it was exciting to see comics from my youth that contained fairly complex and mature themes that had meaning beyond what I remembered.

What comics/stories do you find better as an adult than you did as a kid?

This one is easy for me. It was Spider-man's Clone Saga. It was the storyline that made me stop collecting comics for over 15 years. When I started collecting again, I went back and bought/read every Spider-man of every series from 1985 to current. The second time around, not only did I enjoy the Clone Saga but I actually miss Ben Reilly.

Most stories didn't hold up, unfortunately. Spider-Man Blue, Batman Hush and Long-Halloween. They aren't "that" old though.

However I have found great reads in modern non-heroes titles like: Fables, East of West, Sex Criminals, Mind MGMT and on.

Some great short runs too: Sword comes to mind.

Even some of the newer hero books are good: Batman, Batgirl, Future's End, Thor: God of Thunder, Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel and Indestructible Hulk.

I enjoy reading the Hernandez Brothers' Love and Rockets and Matt Wagner's Grendel even more now than I did in my late teens during the 80s.

I find the only thing that has grown better with time is GI Joe. Larry Hama put a lot into the series that went right over my head as a kid. BTW, if anyone wants or values my highest recommendation it is this series of hardcover volumes of collected issues. Each book contains the original issues then at the end of the issue there is a directors commentary from Larry Hama concerning anything that is notable in any specific page or panel.

There are anecdotes of the creative, business side, and background information behind all of the characters and workings with Marvel at the time that these books were being published. Should anyone pick one up, let me know. I now have Volumes 1, 2 and 3 and will be picking up the rest moving forward.

When all is said and done, they will have republished every regular issue, yearbook, Special Missions, Order of Battle, Special 1 and even the "between the issues" issues that were written by Hama in 2008 for the figure assortments. This is all compiled in chronological order.

GI Joe: The Complete Collection

I didn't care for Kirby stories at all as a kid-now I get a great deal of pleasure reading them.

This one is easy for me. It was Spider-man's Clone Saga. It was the storyline that made me stop collecting comics for over 15 years. When I started collecting again, I went back and bought/read every Spider-man of every series from 1985 to current. The second time around, not only did I enjoy the Clone Saga but I actually miss Ben Reilly.

You like the Spider-Ugh?!?!?

We can't be friends anymore...

:lol: ;):jokealert:

-slym

You like the Spider-Ugh?!?!?

We can't be friends anymore...

:lol: ;):jokealert:

-slym

I actually prefer Kiane as the Scarlet Spider over Ben.

I didn't appreciate the Albano / Fleisher and DeZuniga / Garcia-Lopez Jonah Hex stories originally, but after reading the Showcase reprint book I realised I'd missed out. Consistently excellent material.

I didn't appreciate the Albano / Fleisher and DeZuniga / Garcia-Lopez Jonah Hex stories originally, but after reading the Showcase reprint book I realised I'd missed out. Consistently excellent material.

I'm reading that now as well. Great stuff

51QTRDX533L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I agree with this as well. Some brilliant stories in there.

I would also recommend 1970s DC war comics that include Sgt.Rock, Haunted Tank and Unknown Soldier.

I find the only thing that has grown better with time is GI Joe. Larry Hama put a lot into the series that went right over my head as a kid. BTW, if anyone wants or values my highest recommendation it is this series of hardcover volumes of collected issues. Each book contains the original issues then at the end of the issue there is a directors commentary from Larry Hama concerning anything that is notable in any specific page or panel.

There are anecdotes of the creative, business side, and background information behind all of the characters and workings with Marvel at the time that these books were being published. Should anyone pick one up, let me know. I now have Volumes 1, 2 and 3 and will be picking up the rest moving forward.

When all is said and done, they will have republished every regular issue, yearbook, Special Missions, Order of Battle, Special 1 and even the "between the issues" issues that were written by Hama in 2008 for the figure assortments. This is all compiled in chronological order.

I was older at the time and had zero interest in G.I. Joe but Larry Hama's brief run on Daredevil after Miller was very, very good.

As a teen, I did not "get" Morrison's Doom patrol. Definitely want to revisit those now as an adult.

Bought 'em as they came out. Suggest getting all issues or trades and read steadily thru, in order, of course. I really liked the series: writing, interior and cover art.