• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade 4 starring Wesley Snipes? Could be happening!
1 1

80 posts in this topic

But does fox own the rights to the Wesley Snipes depiction of Blade? While marvel has the rights back, they still collect royalties when blade is played on TV or a DVD is purchased. They could make a case that the continuance of Blade with Wesley Snipes infringes on their intellectual property concerning their interpretation of Marvel's character.

Wasn't there some kind of hoop that had to be jumped through for Connery to play Bond in the non eon production of "Never Say Never Again?"

Interesting. Can't speak to Blade rights but

Never Say Never Again was a special case because apparently Eon only owned the rights to the Ian Fleming (& subsequent) novels, while the Thunderball rights were co-owned by Fleming & original authors Kevin Mccrory / Jack Whittingham. They wrote Thunderball as an original screenplay for Bond, after which Fleming subsequently wrote the novel.

Result:

Once the litigation started (early 80s), Eon lost the rights to Thunderball, meaning that neither Blofeld nor SPECTRE could appear in any more Bond films (until this year -- the litigation settled last year or so).

But that freed up other studios to license / remake Thunderball, hence Never Say Never Again. It could use any elements from Thunderball but not other Bond films/books -- hence its still not being counted among the official "James Bond" movies.

[Which has always annoyed me -- it's far better than that same year's Octopussy, but to say it's not a Bond film is the same ridiculous argument that non-Disney MCU films shouldn't count as Marvel movies -- even if the demarcation line is largely arbitrary (ie., The Hulk isn't a Marvel movie but Incredible Hulk is. BS).]

Blade the secret Marvel show in the works?

I'm of a few minds about the delay being related to a movie; I don't know just how close the relationship is between Studios and Comics this far out from a movie happening. I feel like Comics gets in the loop fairly late. What's more, I keep thinking that Marvel's slate is fairly full for the next few years; while they definitely could add new films to it - especially ones with as different a feel as Blade - this news makes it seem like they expect to have a movie in theaters in a year and a half, which doesn't seem right to me.

BUT! What if there is no Blade movie. What if Blade is returning as a TV show, and it's the TV show that John Ridley has been quietly developing? That makes more sense when it comes to timing; Ridley's been working on this show for a little while now, long enough that whatever his direction is could be communicated back to Marvel Comics. And with the way production works on TV it's possible that this new show could be airing within a year, which makes the new comic much more contemporaneous than it might be with a movie coming in 2019. It's worth noting that new series don't always last long, so delaying your new comic for a movie that might come out in four or five years seems like putting your cart before your horse.

If this happens we're going to be in an intriguing spot where Marvel TV is largely dominated by female leads - Peggy Carter, Jessica Jones, Skye on Agents of SHIELD, Bobbi Morse on Marvel's Most Wanted. There will be plenty of men as well, but Marvel TV has the kind of female presence Marvel movies do not have. That could be a good argument for making Blade a movie, as is the tonal aspects that would set it apart from the regular MCU, while also allowing it to crossover with things like Doctor Strange.

Sigh. There was already a Blade TV show that didn't really work past your typical syndicated action fodder. Despite being on a major network and Disney produced, I don't see this on primetime anytime soon. Especially, with a controversial actor like Snipes in the Mouse House. If anything, it would have to be recast immediately, despite an outcry of Snipes fans.

:o

In a casting report released yesterday and reported on by Movie Beat, Marvel is gearing up an official reboot to their Vampire Action franchise, Blade. While there is no word on a director, the studio is reportedly looking at a very short-list of actors that include Michael B Jordon and Birth of a Nations' Nate Parker; with relative unknowns also on the list such as Aml Ameen who had a small role in Lee Daniels The Butler, and Elijah Kelley from Red Tails and Hairspray. Marvel aims to start filming the movie this summer and as of this report, no mention on whether or not Blade will get an R rating. With Marvel owned of course by Disney, fans are expecting a friendlier PG13.

So, no cool techno song while half naked chicks make out with each other in a rain of blood?

Well...another movie I am not going to see

Freakin loved that song....don't get good house like this anymore

The Possible 'Blade' Netflix Series From Marvel: Have We Known The Plot For A Year?

Most of Marvel's superhero series are heavily based on a comic. In this case, though, I think the series will be based on a comic that was never published.

In July 2015, Marvel Comics was preparing the ground for their All-New, All-Different relaunch. In addition to titles like Invincible Iron Man and All-New, All-Different Avengers, fans were treated to a pitch for an ongoing series of Blade.

The pitch was simple: No longer would Blade walk alone. Instead, the story would be focused on a teenage girl, Fallon Grey, who was plunged into Blade's world. Fallon was envisioned as the "anti-Peter Parker" — where Peter was the outsider, Fallon was a popular girl, one who thought her future was all plotted out. Then she entered into a world of crazy — and learned that Blade was her dad.

Some aspects of the concept rang eerily similar to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but writer Tim Seeley insisted this was a coincidence.

"Well, as much as I had to deal with 'Buffy' comparisons on 'Hack/Slash,' I've still managed to avoid watching that show. So, while I think 'high school girl fights monsters' will always invite 'Buffy' comparisons, I'd like to think my blissful ignorance will at least keep me from hewing too close to Joss Whedon's work. Though, after seeing 'Cabin In the Woods,' it became clear to me he and I come from creepily similar influences."

the-possible-blade-netflix-series-from-marvel-have-we-known-the-plot-for-a-year-the-d-981263.jpg