• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Open Letter to DC/Warner Bros

9 posts in this topic

Dear DC,

I am so excited to be living in a time where we have so much interest in our beloved characters that they warrant their own TV shows.

That being said, I quite simply don't have the time to watch all of them. And, from what I've heard, some of them aren't doing so hot.

So, I guess what I'm saying is... Quality over quantity? :foryou:

Read this as tongue in cheek with a core of truth lol

Dear DC,

It seems animation is losing out to live action tv and movie projects. Don't do that.

Animation has been DC Comics' kidding-cousin since the 1940s Fleischer cartoons. And the 90s showed a DCAU across multiple series creates a viable and distinct platform that performed for well over a decade.

The occasional direct-to-video release is just too sparse an offering. Now is the time to expand the DCAU. Now is the time to take it to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. Now is the time to produce as many NEW high quality episodes and series as they'll buy.

You've seen the success of an ongoing DCAU. You've experienced Bruce Timm's capabilities. Now is not the time to hold back. Put the man under contract and give him a Studio Division. Please, unleash the DCAU.

Dear DC,

It seems animation is losing out to live action tv and movie projects. Don't do that.

Animation has been DC Comics' kidding-cousin since the 1940s Fleischer cartoons. And the 90s showed a DCAU across multiple series creates a viable and distinct platform that performed for well over a decade.

The occasional direct-to-video release is just too sparse an offering. Now is the time to expand the DCAU. Now is the time to take it to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. Now is the time to produce as many NEW high quality episodes and series as they'll buy.

You've seen the success of an ongoing DCAU. You've experienced Bruce Timm's capabilities. Now is not the time to hold back. Put the man under contract and give him a studio division. Please, unleash the DCAU.

yeah this is the one section i wish they would push more like they are doing with TV shows. i didn't like much last batman show that came out but i found that both young justice & green lantern shows great to bad they got cancelled.

Dear DC,

You've seen the success of an ongoing DCAU. You've experienced Bruce Timm's capabilities. Now is not the time to hold back. Put the man under contract and give him a studio division. Please, unleash the DCAU.

yeah this is the one section i wish they would push more like they are doing with TV shows. i didn't like much last batman show that came out but i found that both young justice & green lantern shows great to bad they got cancelled.

I'm assuming streaming and other digital services is where Warner wants this person to focus.

Warner Bros. Animation President takes on digital as well

But since this person has been in his role since April, the concern then is they are not tackling fast enough. At least publicly, we assume that. Behind-the-scenes, hopefully more activity is going on.

:wishluck:

I'm assuming streaming and other digital services is where Warner wants this person to focus.

Warner Bros. Animation President takes on digital as well

But since this person has been in his role since April, the concern then is they are not tackling fast enough. At least publicly, we assume that. Behind-the-scenes, hopefully more activity is going on.

"Live-action digital series" sounds suspiciously like soap opera or 'before a studio audience' stage-stuff, live action performed for digital cameras.

Honestly, I don't know what it is. (shrug) Hope it's animation. :wishluck::)

"Live-action digital series" sounds suspiciously like soap opera or 'before a studio audience' stage-stuff, live action performed for digital cameras.

Honestly, I don't know what it is. (shrug) Hope it's animation. :wishluck::)

Me too!

VARIETY PROFILE: Sam Register, President, Warner Bros. Animation & Warner Digital Series: Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Pictures (WB)

I'm hoping with those ties to the animation division it is a natural marriage with DC animation. But there isn't much posted yet about his recent actions.

Ahhh. 'Blue Ribbon' is actually a digital division under Register's leadership.

Live-Action ‘Static Shock’ Will Be Part Of Warner Bros.’ Blue Ribbon Content Digital Studio

--------------------

A few weeks ago, we covered the announcement that Warner Bros. Animation and Bruce Timm were working on creating a virtual reality Batcave (and, to a lesser extent, the announcement that I would be moving to the Matrix in order to live in it full time), but what we didn’t know then was that it was part of a larger project in the works at WB. Today, that project has a name: Blue Ribbon Content, a “short-form digital division, which will develop and produce live-action and animated series for digital platforms.”

--------------------

I'm glad this 'open letter' made me do further research.

Warner Bros. to develop animated Justice League series for Machinima

--------------------

Warner Bros. and online network Machinima are teaming up for a three-part animated series titled Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles. The series will launch in Spring 2015 and according to Variety it will revolve around a newly conceived reality in the DC universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the superheroes that people know.

The upcoming Machinima series is based on Justice League: Gods & Monsters, an original animated film executive produced by Bruce Timm and co-produced by Alan Burnett that will be released by Warner Bros. later in 2015.

--------------------

And like Liaton-9000 points out in his open-letter, live action is both plentiful and hit/miss.

In my mind ignoring the DCAU isn't just leaving money on the table. It's leaving an entire distinct massive revenue-stream to whither. It seems insane.

The DCAU reflected DC Comics' historical universe, but then looped back to produce new and popular comic characters (Harley Quinn), whole new properties (Batman Beyond), and new lines of comic titles (Batman Adventures, et al).

DC Animation could support struggling Print in a huge way. I wasn't kidding about comics/animation being kissing-cousins. They've paid for the designs, they have the stable of excellent voice actors, they've already branded a DCAU and solidified a fan base.

I mean really, all that's left is to go to work and make bank.

They could still do a 3-part here, a special adaptation there, a direct-to-dvd this or that. Icing on the animation-cake.