• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many lawyers do we have here?

Are you a lawyer?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a lawyer?

158 posts in this topic

But i still owe on my college loans

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

And what makes it even better, I dont make anywhere near what a lawyer makes! acclaim.gif

I know a few lawyers. My cousin is a lawyer. Contrary to what many lawyers want you to think, they don't all bring in 6-figure salaries.

absolutely true. many lawyers do not make 6 figures. especially in the first 5 years or so. Of course, a lot of them do.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

And what makes it even better, I dont make anywhere near what a lawyer makes! acclaim.gif

I know a few lawyers. My cousin is a lawyer. Contrary to what many lawyers want you to think, they don't all bring in 6-figure salaries.

absolutely true. many lawyers do not make 6 figures. especially in the first 5 years or so. Of course, a lot of them do.

Teacher salary (me) vs. Lawer "salary"

Just a little bit of difference. however, I dont think that i am cut from the cloth that it takes to be a lawyer, doctor, or the ilk. From what I have heard, the hours that you have to put in to being a lwayer or DR. is ungodly. My best friends dad was a OBGYN, and he was never home. I guess we do what best fits us, our personality, and our needs, and deal with things from there.

jmho

Arex

One of my best friends is a teacher and campus minister for a college here in Philly. She loves her job. Teachers are some of the most underpaid people in the country.

Many big firm lawyers work very long hours, but really, after your first 2 or 3 or 4 years, you're down to working about a 10 hour or so day, unless you're either on trial or under the gun to get something filed.

When I was a DA, my first year was a nightmare, but after year two, I was leaving almost everyday at 5:30 except on days when I was on jury trial... then I was there til like 9 pm.

Nowadays it varies. You can make just under six figures, and lead a very normal life. Lawyers who generally don't make six figures are either in public service or don't put in that many hours. If you put in 80-90 hours a week, you're generally at a big firm starting at $120k - $130k a year. It's all a trade off.

Nowadays it varies. You can make just under six figures, and lead a very normal life. Lawyers who generally don't make six figures are either in public service or don't put in that many hours. If you put in 80-90 hours a week, you're generally at a big firm starting at $120k - $130k a year. It's all a trade off.

I agree. I started out at a small tax firm in private practice, making very little money (3 attorney firm). I eventually ended up at a big firm, making excellent money, but working my butt off. It was good, but eventually most people burn out and want something else (or your life priorities change). Now, I'm part of an in-house legal department, and enjoy what I do, the hours I keep, and the people around me. Overall, I'm quite happy. acclaim.gif

Many big firm lawyers work very long hours, but really, after your first 2 or 3 or 4 years, you're down to working about a 10 hour or so day, unless you're either on trial or under the gun to get something filed.

Man, which big firm is that, because I want to join! tongue.gif My experience is that mid-level and senior associates actually pull the same, if not longer, hours than junior associates. And contrary to popular opinion, partnership at many big firms does NOT mean kicking back and counting profits from all the drone associates working for you.

Many partners at big firms work even longer hours than their associates. My theory on this is that the partner selection process is a self-selecting process: those who work the longest hours and are able to continue doing this for 10-12 years are the ones who make partner, and since that's all they know how to do, they keep doing it, and in turn they select new partners who share these same traits.

Seeing that there was no pot of gold at the rainbow or life of leisure upon making partner was one of the factors that caused me to go in-house. As one of my more eloquent colleagues put it, "Becoming a partner is like winning a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie". And just to confirm, I'm still practicing, but have been in-house for 5 years now. thumbsup2.gifAnd I paid off my law school loans after only 1 year (in-state tuition + GI Bill, baby!).

Just a little bit of difference. however, I dont think that i am cut from the cloth that it takes to be a lawyer, doctor, or the ilk. From what I have heard, the hours that you have to put in to being a lwayer or DR. is ungodly.

I'm a teacher too and I know for a fact I put in more hours than my lawyer friends. I left my school tonight at 8:55 p.m. and got there at 7:25 this morning. Over 13 hours. I find that is typical and that there is always work on the weekends as well, unless teaching P.E. But I love what I do, and to paraphrase Mark Twain, work and play are indistinguishable except for the attitude that you approach them with, so I am sure not complaining. What do you teach, by the way?

Joe

I, too, admit to being a lawyer (and probably the newest one to start using the board). However, I am by no means your typical lawyer.

How many lawyers do you know who have actually litigated in court the assassinations of Presidents Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy, seek to solve alleged conspiracies such as the death of Princess Diana, sue terrorist countries and keep (or at least try to keep) the CIA and FBI honest? Just google my name to discover some of my more interesting exploits.

But more importantly (!!!), I am now once again back in the comic business (website www.esquirecomics.com to go online by April, especially since I will have two ads in the new Overstreet Guide) and specialize in high grade and key Golden Age books. However, unlike Doug Schmell, I plan to still continue practicing and sue the government while I try to earn more money to buy more comic books.

Mark S. Zaid, Esq.

Just a little bit of difference. however, I dont think that i am cut from the cloth that it takes to be a lawyer, doctor, or the ilk. From what I have heard, the hours that you have to put in to being a lwayer or DR. is ungodly.

I'm a teacher too and I know for a fact I put in more hours than my lawyer friends. I left my school tonight at 8:55 p.m. and got there at 7:25 this morning. Over 13 hours. I find that is typical and that there is always work on the weekends as well, unless teaching P.E. But I love what I do, and to paraphrase Mark Twain, work and play are indistinguishable except for the attitude that you approach them with, so I am sure not complaining. What do you teach, by the way?

Joe

What about the summers off? sumo.gif

Joe

Joe, I teach 7th grade Science and Social Studies. I also am the head wrestling coach at my Middle School and the assistant at the High School. Yes, we do put in long hours. As for the summers off, well, i will be getting my first one this summer, and I ahve been teaching for 6 years. I just finfished my masters, which took 3 summers and along with taking other classes, have not had a summer off yey. I will enjoy my summer this year. But I still will do things for shcool in the summer. In between working on stuff for the next year and doing things for wrestling, I still probably do about 10-15 hrs per week on school related activities.

What do you teach Joe?

I was almost going to go to law school after my MA until my uncle (a lawyer) and my future doctoral advisor (a lawyer) talked me out of it. I've often wondered if they just didn't want me in competition with them. smile.gif

They feared me, and with good reason...

Arnold

Man, which big firm is that, because I want to join! tongue.gif My experience is that mid-level and senior associates actually pull the same, if not longer, hours than junior associates. And contrary to popular opinion, partnership at many big firms does NOT mean kicking back and counting profits from all the drone associates working for you.

Many partners at big firms work even longer hours than their associates. My theory on this is that the partner selection process is a self-selecting process: those who work the longest hours and are able to continue doing this for 10-12 years are the ones who make partner, and since that's all they know how to do, they keep doing it, and in turn they select new partners who share these same traits.

Seeing that there was no pot of gold at the rainbow or life of leisure upon making partner was one of the factors that caused me to go in-house. As one of my more eloquent colleagues put it, "Becoming a partner is like winning a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie". And just to confirm, I'm still practicing, but have been in-house for 5 years now. thumbsup2.gifAnd I paid off my law school loans after only 1 year (in-state tuition + GI Bill, baby!).

Great post - I can see the parallels in other professions as well, especially in New York.

I like the "more pie" analogy too! thumbsup2.gif

Incidentally, here are the lawyers I know of on the boards:

Foolkiller

Fantasyfootballbono

Clobberintime

tth (not practicing currently it sounds like)

Mr. Woogieman

Anyone I've missed?

So now the list is:

Foolkiller (plaintiffs' securities lawyer)

fantasyfootballbono (commercial and IP litigator)

Clobberintime (bankruptcy and collections lawyer)

tth2 (in-house counsel)

Mr. Woogieman (?)

seank (worker's comp)

Jeffreykli (in-house counsel)

esquirecomics (sues the gubmint)

Captain_Tripps (sits at home and drools over comics all day frustrated.gif)

1962 (?)

sullypython (who is this guy?)

Is that all of them?