• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Strange Tales 89 Marvel's finest moment?

Was Strange Tales 89 Marvel's finest moment?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Was Strange Tales 89 Marvel's finest moment?

71 posts in this topic

FFF has undeniably a certain fascination which many other monsters are lacking.

As cool as they are, FFF is a dragon-like creature, related to communist China, and has a truly evil mind.

Even as they changed his looks, Steve Gerber chose it for his very unusual mini-series Legion of Night, drawn by a promising (and unusual as well) Whilce Portacio.

As cool as they are, FFF is a dragon-like creature, related to communist China, and has a truly evil mind.

Even as they changed his looks, Steve Gerber chose it for his very unusual mini-series Legion of Night, drawn by a promising (and unusual as well) Whilce Portacio.

Goom was just as evil. I never thought about it that way, but you are right, some of the monster stories present the monsters as... elemental forces? whereas a few such as Goom and FFF weren't just big - they were evil, you are right. Perhaps that's why those two stories are memorable.

Goom was just as evil. I never thought about it that way, but you are right, some of the monster stories present the monsters as... elemental forces? whereas a few such as Goom and FFF weren't just big - they were evil, you are right. Perhaps that's why those two stories are memorable.

Now wait a minute here! My understanding is that in Strange Tales 89 Fin Fang Foom busted up a whole bunch of Commies in China. That makes him a good guy in my book.

Gorgo was another good fellow who was always busting up Commies:

Gorgo2.jpg

Gorgo17Bethlehem.jpg

09-05-201375755PM_zps9a137578.jpg

:preach:

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is with Fing Fam Foom? Why is he any more important than Any of the rest of the Kirby monsters? Stories are kinda all the same and predictable. Only thing that makes it is Kirby art. At least Groot (also a pretty stupid character) got promoted to the Guardians... Maybe the Godzilla thing?

Oh, must have pissed off the monster and obviously hit a nerve!

I'll just take my ball and go home...

I didn't mean it like that, but the last two pages of discussion have been about the reasons why... I gave five or so reasons in one of my last posts. At the end of the day the market currently agrees with you as it values a TTA 13 above ST 89, but ST 89 above most other monster books, well, because its a great monster book!

Hey man, no harm, no foul. If I knew how to use those little symbols I'd give you the peace sign.

I saw your reasoning and respect your opinion. I just don't happen to agree (for me). It's an open forum here. Differences are what make the world go around.

I have both of those books as well as many more. I like the art but find the stories were obviously to written to a much younger age group than I fall into now. (Yes, I'm an old geezer!)

Enjoy what you like and I'll do the same. (EC's are more my thing). Not everybody's taste. Barks Ducks have stood the test of time pretty well too.

For the record, I vote for FF4 #1...

Bob

For the record, I vote for FF4 #1...

Bob

Oh I agree 100%. I don't think ST89 was marvel's greatest moment. I think its a great monster book, but I agree, FF1 is a much bigger deal. (thumbs u

Like I said, I'm a geezer. I was buying Batman and DC war books (gasp!) and passing up the Kirby monster stuff. Hey, only enough dimes to go around. I do remember buying FF4 #3 off the racks and was hooked on Marvel. I also liked, Spidey and the Hulk. My dad bought me Amazing Fantasy #15 at the cigar store. Was on the wall about X-Men and didn't get Thor at all. (all the mythology stuff). Good times!

At the end of the day the market currently agrees with you as it values a TTA 13 above ST 89....

With respect to Tales to Astonish 13, I believe the market values it more highly than Strange Tales 89 precisely because of the recent movie. But the question I posed in this thread has nothing to do with current market prices; it's about storytelling excellence. And aesthetically I far prefer Strange Tales 89 to Tales to Astonish 13.

For the record, I vote for FF4 #1....

Oh I agree 100%. I don't think ST89 was marvel's greatest moment. I think its a great monster book, but I agree, FF1 is a much bigger deal. (thumbs u

I disagree. Fantastic Four 1 wasn't even that specific title's finest moment. That came some time later.

:preach:

Oh I definitely agree if you are talking about FF4. But if you are talking about Marvel as a company FF4 #1 was ground breaking at the time. The monster books were barely keeping the company a float. I remember buying FF4 #1 off the stands and being blown away. Totally different than any comic I had seen up to the time. Every kid in the neighborhood was hooked on it as well as the titles that followed it.

I have both of those books as well as many more. I like the art but find the stories were obviously to written to a much younger age group than I fall into now.

But that's what gives them their charm today!

Like I said, I'm a geezer. I was buying Batman and DC war books (gasp!) and passing up the Kirby monster stuff. Hey, only enough dimes to go around.

While early 1960 was just before my comic buying years as a kid, I'd now say that the Atlas War comics were much better than DC's. Look at these (none mine unfortunately) for example:

51-1.jpg56-1.jpg

61-1.jpg65-1.jpg

68-1.jpg

Were you buying any Atlas War or Western comics at the time? Charltons? Adventures of the Fly?

???

I remember buying FF4 #1 off the stands and being blown away. Totally different than any comic I had seen up to the time. Every kid in the neighborhood was hooked on it as well as the titles that followed it.

Interesting! Hardly any kids in my neighbourhood were active comic buyers in 1961-62. Spinner racks in stores would contain one copy of each issue or at the very most two, because quite simply that's all they needed.

(shrug)