• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAMBIT MOVIE MADE OFFICIAL (2016)...GOTTA GET X-MEN 266

317 posts in this topic

We complain about how all MCU movies follow the same story/plot.  This movie tries not follow the same predictable story/plot and we complain about it.

We complain about how Fox can't make movies.  I think they've figured things out after a bad start.  Look at the hits lately.  The MCU didn't start off successful either.  Same with DC...but look at them now.

I want this movie made.  I don't care if it's a live action version of My Little Pony versus Hello Kittylol.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Why are things self editing in my post?!?!?!

On 3/18/2019 at 10:47 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

We complain about how all MCU movies follow the same story/plot.  This movie tries not follow the same predictable story/plot and we complain about it.

We complain about how Fox can't make movies.  I think they've figured things out after a bad start.  Look at the hits lately.  The MCU didn't start off successful either.  Same with DC...but look at them now.

I want this movie made.  I don't care if it's a live action version of My Little Pony versus Hello Kittylol.

I personally think this still would have fallen under the "Fox can't make movies" category.  Tatum hasn't done anything to prove that he could pull off Gambit (he doesn't even look like Gambit), let alone help write it.  Sorry, but a romcom version of the Godfather? WTF?! :tonofbricks:

Btw, Fox didn't just have a bad start either, it was more like a continuous streak of hit or miss superhero films (at best). Same with DC. Still can't get over how bad Justice League was, or Batman vs Superman for that matter. :sick:

Edited by Darkowl

On 3/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, mattn792 said:

:banana:

In all seriousness though, how many superhero movies has Fox botched?  Would you really expect them to successfully pull off a Godfather-like story with a subplot that could be found in a Sandra Bullock movie?

^^

7 hours ago, Darkowl said:

I personally think this still would have fallen under the "Fox can't make movies" category.  Tatum hasn't done anything to prove that he could pull off Gambit (he doesn't even look like Gambit), let alone help write it.  Sorry, but a romcom version of the Godfather? WTF?! :tonofbricks:

Btw, Fox didn't just have a bad start either, it was more like a continuous streak of hit or miss superhero films (at best). Same with DC. Still can't get over how bad Justice League was, or Batman vs Superman for that matter. :sick:

emotion01.gif.7cd3f66830b9ce3d9ffaebbd36e6936e.gif

:insane::baiting:

X-Men (2000), X2, First Class, The Wolverine (at least Act 1 and 2), Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan and Deadpool 2 are good to go with me. Last Stand, Origins and too many scenes within Apocalypse, not so much.

Oh, and the entire 1992-1996 X-Men Animated Series. Sometimes people forget this.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

X-Men (2000), X2, First Class, The Wolverine (at least Act 1 and 2), Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan and Deadpool 2 are good to go with me. Last Stand, Origins and too many scenes within Apocalypse, not so much.

Oh, and the entire 1992-1996 X-Men Animated Series. Sometimes people forget this.

Deadpool and Logan were blips. If it wasn't for the footage that Reynolds leaked, Fox never would have made Deadpool, and Logan never would have been made if it wasn't for Deadpool's success, at least not the way they wanted it to. It took Fox that long to realize how dumb they had been about everything. 

The only X-Men films I consider to be good are X2, First act, DOFP, and the Wolverine,  everything else was just bad. Apocalypse had one awesome scene thanks to Quicksilver, and that was about it. The writing for those X-Men movies was just all together mediocre, and I can't believe how many characters they butchered. All the ingredients, including the recipe (characters and storylines) were already right in front of them in the comics, but they deviated so badly that they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. I'd even argue that if it wasn't for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, the entire franchise would have gone down the toilet.

As far as the Fox X-Men cartoon goes, well, that was just plain awesome, even better than the movies, but I'd put that in a different camp altogether. It was a much different time back then, and let's not forget, that show started going to , lol! And then they made the X-Men disaster cartoon: Evolution. :facepalm:

So like i said, it's been a continuous stream of hit or miss films at best. There's a reason why most people are stoked to see this Disney/Fox deal happen!

Edited by Darkowl

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

:cloud9: Intense nostalgia for this...

35 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Deadpool and Logan were blips. If it wasn't for the footage that Reynolds leaked, Fox never would have made Deadpool, and Logan never would have been made if it wasn't for Deadpool's success, at least not the way they wanted it to. It took Fox that long to realize how dumb they had been about everything. 

The only X-Men films I consider to be good are X2, First act, DOFP, and the Wolverine,  everything else was just bad. Apocalypse had one awesome scene thanks to Quicksilver, and that was about it. The writing for those X-Men movies was just all together mediocre, and I can't believe how many characters they butchered. All the ingredients, including the recipe (characters and storylines) were already right in front of them in the comics, but they deviated so badly that they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. I'd even argue that if it wasn't for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, the entire franchise would have gone down the toilet.

As far as the Fox X-Men cartoon goes, well, that was just plain awesome, but I'd put that in a different camp altogether. It was a much different time back then, and let's not forget, that show started going to , lol! And then they made the X-Men disaster cartoon: Evolution. :facepalm:

So like i said, it's been a continuous stream of hit or miss films at best. There's a reason why most people are stoked to see this Disney/Fox deal happen!

I appreciate them. You don't. Now to see what the future brings.

35 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

As far as the Fox X-Men cartoon goes, well, that was just plain awesome, but I'd put that in a different camp altogether. It was a much different time back then, and let's not forget, that show started going to , lol! And then they made the X-Men disaster cartoon: Evolution. :facepalm:

Couldn’t agree with you more - and dare I say “ The Wolverine “ was good up until the final act where a terrible CGI silver samurai appeared :$

And the 90s X-Men cartoon and Toy Biz toys .... man , that takes me back ... I hope I don’t sound like my dad :flamed:

Fox’s planned X-Men spinoffs, including the long-gestating Channing Tatum-led Gambit, are being reevaluated by new owners Disney, according to franchise writer-producer and Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg.

“All of the movies at Fox are being evaluated,” Kinberg told Variety. “I love the idea of Channing playing Gambit. I think we have a great -script for it and I think it’s a role he was born to play. It’s a character I grew up loving and I know the fans love. So I suspect, I hope it will happen.”

Whatever that mean coming from a Disney-acquired studio producer. Could even come down to Feige said his team would look at all options.

Another missed opportunity: Tatum and Carolin spent four years developing “Gambit,” a raunchy stand-alone superhero movie about the “X-Men” mutant, for 20th Century Fox. “The studio really didn’t want us to direct it,” Tatum says. “They wanted anybody but us, essentially, because we had never directed anything.”

Tatum was so in love with the -script that Carolin had co-written, which resembled the tone of “Deadpool,” that he was open to letting go of directing. “They would call him ‘flamboyant’ in his description,” Tatum says, defending the title character from any pushback as if he were real. “I wouldn’t — he was just the coolest person. He could pull anything off. Most superheroes, their outfits are utilitarian. Batman’s got his belt. Gambit’s like, ‘No, this :censored:’s just fly, bro! This :censored: walked down the Paris runway last year.’ He’s just wearing the stuff that’s so dope because he loves fashion.”

But after Disney merged with Fox, “Gambit” became a casualty of the corporate takeover in 2019.

“Once ‘Gambit’ went away, I was so traumatized,” Tatum says, adding that he swore off watching the Avengers. “I shut off my Marvel machine. I haven’t been able to see any of the movies. I loved that character. It was just too sad. It was like losing a friend because I was so ready to play him.”

He wanted to direct it and it was suppose to be some rom-com male model Deadpool-like movie(shrug).  If that's true then I'm glad it wasn't made.

Deadpool worked because it was a near perfect adaption of the comic!  You can't just make a Deadpool-like movie with non-Deadpool-like characters!!!

- Please please make a Gambit movie that is true to the character

- Please don't let Channing Tatum direct it

***As mentioned previously...X-Men 266 was one of the books that got me into collecting comics

Now Seydoux, who was originally set to play Tatum’s love interest in the film, has spoken with IndieWire about the original version of the -script. Suggesting that they “wanted to make it more of a comedy”, she concedes the version of the -script she read “was really good”. Check out her full comments below:

"The -script was really good. It had some funny bits in it, but they wanted to make more of a comedy. I feel that in America people have more imagination. I have been offered films very very far from what I’ve done and I’m like, ‘Oh. Interesting.’ I love to feel that I can adapt myself. For me, that’s very exotic."

Every time I see this thread pop up it gets me excited.  Then I read the latest news/info on it it makes me depressed...cause the chance of this movie being made is less and less.

***Please stop letting this be associated with Channing Tatum!!!