• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC make Regrading Mandatory after 7 Years?

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering about this issue last night. Since CGC recommends reholdering their slabbed books every 7 years (due to the micro chamber paper losing its effectiveness), will this service still be performed for $11, or will the book have to be completely regraded after that time expires. For instance, a lot of the CGC graded books I own were encased 4 or 5 years ago. Let's say that since I won't be selling them for years to come, I may not reholder until 2010. I just don't want to run the risk of having an expensive book be completely re-evaluated/regraded (for a higher price) just because it's been sitting in it's original slab for an additional 2 years than recommended.

I realize that all reholdered books are checked before assigning them their original grade, but the pricing issue is another matter.

I was wondering about this issue last night. Since CGC recommends reholdering their slabbed books every 7 years (due to the micro chamber paper losing its effectiveness), will this service still be performed for $11, or will the book have to be completely regraded after that time expires. For instance, a lot of the CGC graded books I own were encased 4 or 5 years ago. Let's say that since I won't be selling them for years to come, I may not reholder until 2010. I just don't want to run the risk of having an expensive book be completely re-evaluated/regraded (for a higher price) just because it's been sitting in it's original slab for an additional 2 years than recommended.

I realize that all reholdered books are checked before assigning them their original grade, but the pricing issue is another matter.

According to some documentation that Russell from Comicsupply.com showed us a while back, the Microchamber paper should last longer than 7 years if the books are stored in a proper storage environment. I think CGC was just trying to be conservative in that estimate.

Is the longetivity of the microchanber paper the reason for reslabbing? If so, does the paper just stop working in about 7 years, or does it go the other way and become harmful to the comic at that point? If the former, then not reslabbing is only as bad for the comic as the minor issue of not changing the backing board in a mylar, which we all do on a massive scale.

Is the longetivity of the microchanber paper the reason for reslabbing? If so, does the paper just stop working in about 7 years, or does it go the other way and become harmful to the comic at that point? If the former, then not reslabbing is only as bad for the comic as the minor issue of not changing the backing board in a mylar, which we all do on a massive scale.

That's right. CGC does not say that you HAVE to reholder after 7 years, and they have specifically said that failing to reholder after 7 years will not accelerate the aging of your comic book. The comic book itself contains everything it needs to degrade itself naturally into a brittle mass. Microchamber paper slows down that natural process, but leaving the book in a holder with maxed out Microchamber paper is just like storing the book in Mylar without an alkaline reserve. How well the comic book "performs" after the Microchamber paper loses effectiveness depends on the storage conditions in which it is kept.

That's my understanding, too. Post-7 year microchamber paper shouldn't harm your comics, but it might cease to do good. So I don't think that automatically reslabbing your entire collection is a necessity once the paper goes dud-ish. Somehow we still had NM comics before the paper! grin.gif