• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob reporting in - looking to join the ranks of CGC owners

41 posts in this topic

Thanks - good info!

I won't be slabbing anything that isn't worth at least 2X of what the cost of grading. Might want to consider 3X if considering cost invested in the book. I will come up with a rule of thumb for myself.

Interesting point about pressing. Does pressing apply to the entire book or just the cover? Say, you have a corner that was bent under at some point (minor bend, no color breaks) would the pressing address the cover or the entire book (if some pages were affected as well?

pressing would improve the inside as well with what you are describing -

post images and one of the pros usually will chime in - the are some examples and Q&A in the grading/resto section. It can also improve spine roll.

Thanks – what is the cost structure for pressing? Will CGC advise you on the potential impact of pressing a particular book (if you are trying to determine the impact regardgin grade, etc.)?

....that arm of the company is called CCS .....and, yes, they will advise, but I'm not sure about pricing structure.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Oh and WTTB. Hope you stick around. Lots of good info on the boards.

Thanks for the welcome. I am somewhat active on the forum’s original art section and will be here as well if the CGC experience goes well (as it sounds like it will). If I catch the CGC fever I am sure I can dig a lot of books out of the long boxes that could be candidates for grading.

Thanks - good info!

I won't be slabbing anything that isn't worth at least 2X of what the cost of grading. Might want to consider 3X if considering cost invested in the book. I will come up with a rule of thumb for myself.

Interesting point about pressing. Does pressing apply to the entire book or just the cover? Say, you have a corner that was bent under at some point (minor bend, no color breaks) would the pressing address the cover or the entire book (if some pages were affected as well?

post images and one of the pros usually will chime in - the are some examples and Q&A in the grading/resto section. It can also improve spine roll.

Thanks – what is the cost structure for pressing? Will CGC advise you on the potential impact of pressing a particular book (if you are trying to determine the impact regardgin grade, etc.)?

....that arm of the company is called CCS .....and, yes, they will advise, but I'm not sure about pricing structure.... GOD BLESS...

Check the link I posted to CCS--- the fees vary with the comic values.

If you go that route - you also only need to submit the CCS online form - they transfer everything over to CGC when they are done. Books worth 500 or less - $40, books 1K or less -- $60.

It can be well worth it - if you have pressable defects. A single grade bump on the hulk 181 can be worth a couple hundred dollars in mid grade - and much more in 8.0 and up grades.

They will advise you if they think the book will be damaged by pressing - but they will not give you a grade estimate. They do offer a screening service (for a fee of course, lol) - where they will do a more in depth examination to see if the book would really benefit from pressing (I do not think many do this option unless the book is significant like an AF 15).

Also note - that the pressing operation may not increase the book grade and at times - may damage a book for a downgrade. This is not an everyday occurrence, but has happened to a couple of boardies.

Here are a few off the top of my head - many more I am sure but I will start somewhere with these:

Cap 100

Hulk 102

TOS 40 – 49 (a few nice ones, some I won’t get graded)

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

ASM 300 (and all the McF issues)

Lots of first appearances in nice condition (Thanos, Sabretooth, Iron Fist, Doc Samson (multiples), Falcon (multiples), Deadpool (multiples – very nice copies pulled and bagged from the shelf), Bone 1 first print (signed – might have a couple), Rocket Raccoon,

My friend mentioned a lot more but I can’t seem to recall them all. All of the first appearances are in nice shape – VF or better (Deadpools are awesome). I am not a grader so maybe some suggestions for what grades would be slab-worthy for the other issues would help me decide.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

I've highlighted in GREEN the ones to slab on your first go around. As others have suggested, get the membership with the (4) freebies and send in 4 of the highlighted books.

Thanks – this is where I was leaning as well so I think I might go this route.

Curious – a few comments about not sending more than 4. Is this just due to the ‘getting comfortable’ factor or do other considerations fall under this suggestion?

Question – how do you advise handling multiple copies of a book that you are considering grading (have multiples that are in great condition … ie worthy of grading)? Send one at a time? Send in a bunch?

Your coupon will be good for grading 4 comics. Hence the thought that sending in 4 comics to start with will be a good start.

Yep.

More times than not, the first submission can be an "eye opener" (or nut punch). It was for me. Sending in the 4 "freebies" and seeing what the grades are will give you a decent idea of how they grade. Better than sending in 10 books and getting a surprise.

I'm not saying this would definitely happen. Better safe than sorry though.

I am considering doing this as well just for some of my higher value books.

Hard to pull the trigger though.

One thing I have to ask-- is there a referral bonus if someone gets you to join the CGC? How about GPA?

I am considering getting a GPA subscription to help me with buying/selling books at reasonable prices.

Here are a few off the top of my head - many more I am sure but I will start somewhere with these:

Cap 100

Hulk 102

TOS 40 – 49 (a few nice ones, some I won’t get graded)

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

ASM 300 (and all the McF issues)

Lots of first appearances in nice condition (Thanos, Sabretooth, Iron Fist, Doc Samson (multiples), Falcon (multiples), Deadpool (multiples – very nice copies pulled and bagged from the shelf), Bone 1 first print (signed – might have a couple), Rocket Raccoon,

My friend mentioned a lot more but I can’t seem to recall them all. All of the first appearances are in nice shape – VF or better (Deadpools are awesome). I am not a grader so maybe some suggestions for what grades would be slab-worthy for the other issues would help me decide.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

I've highlighted in GREEN the ones to slab on your first go around. As others have suggested, get the membership with the (4) freebies and send in 4 of the highlighted books.

Thanks – this is where I was leaning as well so I think I might go this route.

Curious – a few comments about not sending more than 4. Is this just due to the ‘getting comfortable’ factor or do other considerations fall under this suggestion?

Question – how do you advise handling multiple copies of a book that you are considering grading (have multiples that are in great condition … ie worthy of grading)? Send one at a time? Send in a bunch?

Your coupon will be good for grading 4 comics. Hence the thought that sending in 4 comics to start with will be a good start.

Yep.

More times than not, the first submission can be an "eye opener" (or nut punch). It was for me. Sending in the 4 "freebies" and seeing what the grades are will give you a decent idea of how they grade. Better than sending in 10 books and getting a surprise.

I'm not saying this would definitely happen. Better safe than sorry though.

ah, good call on the nut punch scenario. I have already thought about that and expect to be OK. I may be surprised by grades but I am slabbing for 2 reasons: keep my good stuff in top shape, and for possible sales. The keepers are what they are - CGC won't change that as I don't have any hard expectations on condition (I am not a grader). The ones I might sell don't have a huge investment and will be primarily profit so I am sure that they will fetch more slabbed than if I tried to sell them raw (not being an expert I can't give a strong grade).

Thanks - great info everyone!

Thanks - good info!

Check the link I posted to CCS--- the fees vary with the comic values.

If you go that route - you also only need to submit the CCS online form - they transfer everything over to CGC when they are done. Books worth 500 or less - $40, books 1K or less -- $60.

It can be well worth it - if you have pressable defects. A single grade bump on the hulk 181 can be worth a couple hundred dollars in mid grade - and much more in 8.0 and up grades.

They will advise you if they think the book will be damaged by pressing - but they will not give you a grade estimate. They do offer a screening service (for a fee of course, lol) - where they will do a more in depth examination to see if the book would really benefit from pressing (I do not think many do this option unless the book is significant like an AF 15).

Also note - that the pressing operation may not increase the book grade and at times - may damage a book for a downgrade. This is not an everyday occurrence, but has happened to a couple of boardies.

Great advice - I will ask about pressing on an issue or two that I plan to submit. Thanks!

One thing I have to ask-- is there a referral bonus if someone gets you to join the CGC? How about GPA?

I am considering getting a GPA subscription to help me with buying/selling books at reasonable prices.

Don't know of any referral bonuses.

I'm a great fan of GPA. I use it almost every day. Great source of info whether you are buying or selling. Not the be-all-and-end-all, of course.

The Heritage Auctions archive (accessible with a free membership), closed listings on eBay, and the sites of major dealers are also good sources of info on market prices.

What about a multiple copies scenario? What do you guys do if you have several of a key book that is in top condition and a great candidate for slabbing? (Deadpool first appearance)

So - new mutants 98 is a good example of one you may want to slab multiples with pressing (if in great shape) These books sell quickly and for a good price. I would not slab multiples if you plan to sit on them for awhile (especially this book) - as this is one that is probably priced more on hype than rarity.

Another note on slabbing - is that the entire process is not quick. Unless you are at a show and the offer ion site slabbing, you will be waiting a while. The coupon is a fast submission - but unless you pay a premium for higher tiers or extra for "fast track" - 8+ weeks is normal and pressing adds 4 or more weeks.

Just a note - pressing isn't mandatory, and isn't going to always help a book.

(thumbs u

-slym

Makes sense and I was only considering a couple older books - confused about how pressing newer books can help.

Just a note - pressing isn't mandatory, and isn't going to always help a book.

(thumbs u

Makes sense and I was only considering a couple older books - confused about how pressing newer books can help.

If they have defects like non-colour-breaking creases or bends, it can help, although some people have everything pressed as a matter of course. I have only had four books pressed ever, three Bronze Age books and a Copper (UXM 266.) I don't think the 266 got any help from the pressing, as it looked (IIRC) 9.4-9.6 to start with and ended up in a 9.6 case. All moderns I've subbed have all looked at least a 9.8, never pressed, and all came back 9.8s.

:)

-slym

Don't know of any referral bonuses.

I'm a great fan of GPA. I use it almost every day. Great source of info whether you are buying or selling. Not the be-all-and-end-all, of course.

The Heritage Auctions archive (accessible with a free membership), closed listings on eBay, and the sites of major dealers are also good sources of info on market prices.

good points

I was just making sure I could give someone something if there was a referral bump. Now the tough part- pulling the trigger.

What about a multiple copies scenario? What do you guys do if you have several of a key book that is in top condition and a great candidate for slabbing? (Deadpool first appearance)

So - new mutants 98 is a good example of one you may want to slab multiples with pressing (if in great shape) These books sell quickly and for a good price. I would not slab multiples if you plan to sit on them for awhile (especially this book) - as this is one that is probably priced more on hype than rarity.

Another note on slabbing - is that the entire process is not quick. Unless you are at a show and the offer ion site slabbing, you will be waiting a while. The coupon is a fast submission - but unless you pay a premium for higher tiers or extra for "fast track" - 8+ weeks is normal and pressing adds 4 or more weeks.

Good point - looking at 2-3 months is good to remember