• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob reporting in - looking to join the ranks of CGC owners

41 posts in this topic

Total noob questions here and I apologize in advance if these are already questioned/answered somewhere else. Here is a question/answer that I posted in the ask CGC room - looking for input from fellow collectors.

I am a old school comic collector – I don’t buy a lot of comics these days but do dabble a little. The heyday of my collecting was before CGC really got going so I don’t have much experience here. I have never really considered slabbing any of my comics but I am coming around to the idea for a couple reasons – ensuring the condition of some of my nice comics are maintained and the possibility of eventually selling some issues to create funds for other purchases.

I have a mix of comics (silver/bronze/modern) that I would like to get graded. What is the best way to do this? What membership options should I consider? Should I bring the books to a show? Is the process safe to send my cherished issues out? Is there a place here to talk about specific issues as I consider getting them graded or not? I am more of an art collector so I want to ease my way into the grading world and am not sure the best way to do so. I have had a few friends that are still into comics enough that have suggested getting a few books graded so here I am .

Hello,

I most popular membership is our premium membership. It is $125 for the year and with that you get 1 coupon for 4 free standard submissions. You could bring the books to a convention we are at that way you save the shipping to us. You can try going to the sub forum comics general to talk about if you should get the comics graded or not. Our employees aren't able to tell you if you should or shouldn't get something graded. This process is very safe. We have been in business for 15 years, so we have the process down to a science.

Thank you

You might want to list some of the issues you're thinking about along with your estimated grade, and folks may be able to suggest whether to slab them or not. If you're unsure about the grades, you may want to try posting some in the PGM Forum.

Total noob questions here and I apologize in advance if these are already questioned/answered somewhere else. Here is a question/answer that I posted in the ask CGC room - looking for input from fellow collectors.

I am a old school comic collector – I don’t buy a lot of comics these days but do dabble a little. The heyday of my collecting was before CGC really got going so I don’t have much experience here. I have never really considered slabbing any of my comics but I am coming around to the idea for a couple reasons – ensuring the condition of some of my nice comics are maintained and the possibility of eventually selling some issues to create funds for other purchases.

I have a mix of comics (silver/bronze/modern) that I would like to get graded. What is the best way to do this? What membership options should I consider? Should I bring the books to a show? Is the process safe to send my cherished issues out? Is there a place here to talk about specific issues as I consider getting them graded or not? I am more of an art collector so I want to ease my way into the grading world and am not sure the best way to do so. I have had a few friends that are still into comics enough that have suggested getting a few books graded so here I am .

Hello,

I most popular membership is our premium membership. It is $125 for the year and with that you get 1 coupon for 4 free standard submissions. You could bring the books to a convention we are at that way you save the shipping to us. You can try going to the sub forum comics general to talk about if you should get the comics graded or not. Our employees aren't able to tell you if you should or shouldn't get something graded. This process is very safe. We have been in business for 15 years, so we have the process down to a science.

Thank you

.... that response about sums it up. You may also consider posting some of your possibilities in the Grading subforum to see how your grading stacks up with those who already have submitted books.... it may sharpen your expectations to a realistic level. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friendof jesus) (thumbs u

Options to get them graded:

Become a paid member (the premium is nice if you have 4 valuable books you want to get done as it pays for itself)

Sub through a dealer

Sub at a con

Membership:

Either no membership and sub through dealer/con or as mentioned above the premium one

Bring to a show:

I don't like to because though you save on shipping the onsite price (if you are a member) is the regular price so you don't really save anything, as mentioned in the past it would take longer to have the books done because they then have to wait all days of the show and then travel back and then be unloaded vs shipping down.

Safe to send:

If you follow the packing tutorials yes, but like everything accidents (trucks flipping over and catching fire) etc can happen best to have the valuable ones insured.

To Grade:

The Please Grade Me section is a good place. Most books need to be in a certain condition to be worth grading. Action 1 in any grade but that modern book from last week must be pristine.

Starting to grade:

Start small, don't jump into a huge sub until you understand how CGC grades and expectations.

Here are a few off the top of my head - many more I am sure but I will start somewhere with these:

Cap 100

Hulk 102

TOS 40 – 49 (a few nice ones, some I won’t get graded)

Hulk 180-182

ASM 129

ASM 300 (and all the McF issues)

Lots of first appearances in nice condition (Thanos, Sabretooth, Iron Fist, Doc Samson (multiples), Falcon (multiples), Deadpool (multiples – very nice copies pulled and bagged from the shelf), Bone 1 first print (signed – might have a couple), Rocket Raccoon,

My friend mentioned a lot more but I can’t seem to recall them all. All of the first appearances are in nice shape – VF or better (Deadpools are awesome). I am not a grader so maybe some suggestions for what grades would be slab-worthy for the other issues would help me decide.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Other things to read up on -

http://www.ccspaper.com/

CSS is affiliated with CGC - they will press books prior to slabbing if you want (for an additional fee of course). This can reduce/remove minor imperfections on covers like NON color breaking creases. Some frown on the practice, but realistically it happens all of the time with slabbed books (pressing should be left to the pros like CSS for any valuable book) .

another useful site -

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/

"GPA" - tracks the actual sale prices for slabbed comics.

One thing you will see - not all books are worthwhile to slab (for resale). Most moderns----- are really not worthwhile unless you have a specific reason or know that they are high grade (you will be paying more for the slabbing then they will sell for).

A quick "modern" example - "Simpsons Comics 1" (1993) -

you can get reasonable copies on ebay for $10. No certified grade. Probably even some outlets to snag them that are even cheaper.

if you have a pristine copy - (and I am rounding dollars here)

fees to slab: 15 plus 10 to press. so costs around 25 plus shipping to slab.

9.8 sell for arond 100

9.6 sell for around 55

9.4 sell for around 35

- so ignoring shipping (and assuming you are not fast tracking anything) - 9.6 is an iffy proposal. Yes there is a potential for profit (assuming a $10 raw book can be graded up to a 9.8) - but the risk is there as to weather or not the raw will grade out. Many moderns also will NOT have much room for value unless a 9.8 anyway.

The membership/coupon is a good deal - especially if you have higher value books to slab. They charge differently based on value and age of book - so using the coupon for a modern "simpsons" book = bad idea (as the book is around $15 to grade for its tier) . If you have a modern walking dead 1,,,,, good deal (book would be ~ $55 to slab as a standard tier book)

Welcome to the boards !

I can only tell you what I did.

I decided I wanted to get 4 books slabbed, and was not concerned about the time delay in their return. So I signed up for a premium membership at the con. used the coupon for the grading of those 4 books. Granted they were golden age books and was more cost effective for me to do so. Mostly I chose this option because I don't trust my ability to safely package high value books lol

I hope that helps /shrug :)

Griff

Other things to read up on -

http://www.ccspaper.com/

CSS is affiliated with CGC - they will press books prior to slabbing if you want (for an additional fee of course). This can reduce/remove minor imperfections on covers like NON color breaking creases. Some frown on the practice, but realistically it happens all of the time with slabbed books (pressing should be left to the pros like CSS for any valuable book) .

another useful site -

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/

"GPA" - tracks the actual sale prices for slabbed comics.

One thing you will see - not all books are worthwhile to slab (for resale). Most moderns----- are really not worthwhile unless you have a specific reason or know that they are high grade (you will be paying more for the slabbing then they will sell for).

A quick "modern" example - "Simpsons Comics 1" (1993) -

you can get reasonable copies on ebay for $10. No certified grade. Probably even some outlets to snag them that are even cheaper.

if you have a pristine copy - (and I am rounding dollars here)

fees to slab: 15 plus 10 to press. so costs around 25 plus shipping to slab.

9.8 sell for arond 100

9.6 sell for around 55

9.4 sell for around 35

- so ignoring shipping (and assuming you are not fast tracking anything) - 9.6 is an iffy proposal. Yes there is a potential for profit (assuming a $10 raw book can be graded up to a 9.8) - but the risk is there as to weather or not the raw will grade out. Many moderns also will NOT have much room for value unless a 9.8 anyway.

The membership/coupon is a good deal - especially if you have higher value books to slab. They charge differently based on value and age of book - so using the coupon for a modern "simpsons" book = bad idea (as the book is around $15 to grade for its tier) . If you have a modern walking dead 1,,,,, good deal (book would be ~ $55 to slab as a standard tier book)

Thanks - good info!

I won't be slabbing anything that isn't worth at least 2X of what the cost of grading. Might want to consider 3X if considering cost invested in the book. I will come up with a rule of thumb for myself.

Interesting point about pressing. Does pressing apply to the entire book or just the cover? Say, you have a corner that was bent under at some point (minor bend, no color breaks) would the pressing address the cover or the entire book (if some pages were affected as well?

Welcome to the boards !

I decided I wanted to get 4 books slabbed, and was not concerned about the time delay in their return. So I signed up for a premium membership at the con. used the coupon for the grading of those 4 books. Granted they were golden age books and was more cost effective for me to do so. Mostly I chose this option because I don't trust my ability to safely package high value books lol

Griff

Thanks for the welcome and info Griff - sounds like starting with 4 books is the way to go. What is the cost structure for this option?

Welcome to the boards !

Griff

You got the coupons at the con and could use them right away? I was under the impression that the coupons were always mailed out...

-slym

Here are a few off the top of my head - many more I am sure but I will start somewhere with these:

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

Lots of first appearances in nice condition (Thanos, Sabretooth, Iron Fist, Doc Samson (multiples), Falcon (multiples), Deadpool (multiples – very nice copies pulled and bagged from the shelf), Bone 1 first print (signed – might have a couple), Rocket Raccoon,

My friend mentioned a lot more but I can’t seem to recall them all. All of the first appearances are in nice shape – VF or better (Deadpools are awesome). I am not a grader so maybe some suggestions for what grades would be slab-worthy for the other issues would help me decide.

I've highlighted in GREEN the ones to slab on your first go around. As others have suggested, get the membership with the (4) freebies and send in 4 of the highlighted books.

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

I've highlighted in GREEN the ones to slab on your first go around. As others have suggested, get the membership with the (4) freebies and send in 4 of the highlighted books.

^^

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

I think Chris pretty much nailed it. The 3 late silver age in almost any condition and the two bronze/copper age in any condition people usually have them in are all worth slabbing. Choose 4 of them and send them in with a coupon submission. That will give you a good idea on CGC grading and you can figure out which other books you might want to send in based on that.

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Hulk 180-182

ASM 129

Cool list - avoid trying to get them done all at once until you are comfortable. Getting a GPA subscription may be worthwhile so you can see what they are selling for online.

Using the coupon - I would recommend the following four for slabbing.....

Hulk 181 (if the value stamp is not cut out)

ASM 129

IM 55 (first appearance of thanos - if this is what you meant)

then - king of a toss up - pick the best condition of the hulk 102/180, and the TOS.

this is based on the coupon--- which is realy the standard tier (runs like $55 per book for ~ $1k valued book). Trying to pick what will be the highest resale value from what you have listed.

maybe even one of the New Mutant 98s (first deadpool) - if it is in GREAT shape (no visible anything wrong).

with anything - condition is key.

Thanks - good info!

I won't be slabbing anything that isn't worth at least 2X of what the cost of grading. Might want to consider 3X if considering cost invested in the book. I will come up with a rule of thumb for myself.

Interesting point about pressing. Does pressing apply to the entire book or just the cover? Say, you have a corner that was bent under at some point (minor bend, no color breaks) would the pressing address the cover or the entire book (if some pages were affected as well?

pressing would improve the inside as well with what you are describing -

post images and one of the pros usually will chime in - the are some examples and Q&A in the grading/resto section. It can also improve spine roll.

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

Thanks – this is where I was leaning as well so I think I might go this route.

Curious – a few comments about not sending more than 4. Is this just due to the ‘getting comfortable’ factor or do other considerations fall under this suggestion?

Question – how do you advise handling multiple copies of a book that you are considering grading (have multiples that are in great condition … ie worthy of grading)? Send one at a time? Send in a bunch?

Thanks - good info!

pressing would improve the inside as well with what you are describing -

post images and one of the pros usually will chime in - the are some examples and Q&A in the grading/resto section. It can also improve spine roll.

Thanks – what is the cost structure for pressing? Will CGC advise you on the potential impact of pressing a particular book (if you are trying to determine the impact regardgin grade, etc.)?

Cap 100

Hulk 102

Hulk 180-182 181

ASM 129

Thanks – this is where I was leaning as well so I think I might go this route.

Curious – a few comments about not sending more than 4. Is this just due to the ‘getting comfortable’ factor or do other considerations fall under this suggestion?

Question – how do you advise handling multiple copies of a book that you are considering grading (have multiples that are in great condition … ie worthy of grading)? Send one at a time? Send in a bunch?

Your coupon will be good for grading 4 comics. Hence the thought that sending in 4 comics to start with will be a good start.