• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginning of Bull Market for Comic Books

192 posts in this topic

There is always a market correction...

However I think those who predict a crash similar to what happened at the end of the market correction in the 90s' are missing a key distinction:

At that time, the inflation of sales was due to people being harangued into buying "shiny" things. Hologram covers, bagged, silver foil, lenticular, nonsense. You'd buy six copies of the same book and they'd all be sealed in a bag.

It has nothing to do with comics, it was really an off-shoot of trading cards. The outsiders who came in for a buck didn't read the books or learn about the characters or anything.

This time it's a lot more about the comics. It's about key books. First appearance of characters. Big storylines, etc.

Yes, people are still speculating, flipping, etc. But I think with the movies and all, I think that this wave is also creating a lot of new fans of the characters.

So will the market correct when the movies inevitably dry up for a decade and there's nothing left to speculate upon? Sure. But I think the number of people who will be willing to return to the characters at a later date, or who might stay with them even after they're not hot, will make it a softer landing.

Nice post. :thumbsup:

However I think those who predict a crash similar to what happened at the end of the market correction in the 90s' are missing a key distinction:

At that time, the inflation of sales was due to people being harangued into buying "shiny" things. Hologram covers, bagged, silver foil, lenticular, nonsense. You'd buy six copies of the same book and they'd all be sealed in a bag.

It has nothing to do with comics, it was really an off-shoot of trading cards. The outsiders who came in for a buck didn't read the books or learn about the characters or anything.

This time it's a lot more about the comics. It's about key books. First appearance of characters. Big storylines, etc.

Yes, people are still speculating, flipping, etc. But I think with the movies and all, I think that this wave is also creating a lot of new fans of the characters.

So will the market correct when the movies inevitably dry up for a decade and there's nothing left to speculate upon? Sure. But I think the number of people who will be willing to return to the characters at a later date, or who might stay with them even after they're not hot, will make it a softer landing.

I also like the fact that most of the semi keys that are exploding are books which have sat in dollar bins for decades which reduced the number of copies especially nicer copies. There still are ton of them out there but the 90s books were being printed by the millions and were becoming $20 book in a day. It was basically like printing brand new money where as the current market is looking for hidden gems.

Comic books have been part of American culture through times of depression, censorship, inflation and printed media cessation.

There are now more avenues to sell comics than there ever were before.

And some people still think that comics are only popular because of movie/TV hype????

smmfh

Changed it to "key" back issues but I'm still seeing prices rise as new keys are minted weekly.

There has also been a bounce back for nonkey issues after a slight depression circa about 2008-2009 or so, so I'd say it's more than one thing.

In general, the official concensus is that the US economy has improved since 2008 and that too would cause an increase in spending.

Lowered Gas prices in 2015 will make you more $.

My rants will always be justified and sound in business nature.

Finally someone that gets it here on these boards.

You are rare here my friend.

Did the May 2012 Thanos reveal and subsequent mega pop in Iron Man 55 prices signal the beginning of the current bull market for key back issue comics?

I think that's a good starting point. I had a 9.6 white on my wall that nobody even bothered to look at during C2E2, let alone buy at $700. Two months later it sold almost instantly at $2000 after the movie scene. I had never experienced a price spike that big in so short of a time. I remember thinking that the market had gone completely crazy.

Batman market went crazy in 1989. I don't know if you were old enough to remember it hut I was 19 and Batmania was literally everywhere.

Spiderman/Green Goblin market went crazy in 2001/2/3 (can't remember exactly)

Venom market went crazy with his app in ASM movie

It's grown into a very cyclical thing.

I was too young for Batman. You are right about the Spidey stuff, but those seemed to be isolated incidents. A few books would go through the roof, then gradually drop. This has been two and a half years of almost any key first appearance going absolutely crazy. Dozens and dozens and dozens of issues have gained 50%, 100%, 200%, 1000% in the span of weeks, sometimes for very little reason. Hype has spread well beyond the core of issues directly touched by movies.

Batmania in 1989 was just as big as anything happening now.

DC was announcing new Bat-titles, Tec #27 surpassed Marvel #1 and Action #1 in the guide, the movie was a summer blockbuster and any Batman back issue was hot. It was true insanity.

hard to pinpoint where it started, but I will say that I've made more money selling this year than any other year, with Superman Adv. #5 alone I made over $500 dollars selling raw copies of that book and I still have my best copy left. :cloud9:

also, sold a couple of Brave and Bold 200s, TEC 474, DCCP 26, 47. ASM 361, Swamp thing 25, 37, (and now 49, 50, 53), Teen Titans 2, 44. Star Wars 1, Hellblazer 1, Batman HUSH issues, Superman DEATH issues, ANYTHING Harley Quinn, a complete run of Superman (1986) series. Batman Family for Christ sake?!?!?!!?! lol all for more money than I thought I would get for them. and most of these I already had sitting in a box downstairs. just crazy.

all this along with the occasional higher value book sale, Hulk 180, 181, ASM 300, Bats 227, 232, 251. NM 98,

2014 was a great year.

and what am I buying with all this cash? why more comics of course. :makepoint:

Anyone else think that the prices for FF 45 and 46 are waayy out of control? Based on a movie announcement for 2018 which is still 3 years away, I am stunned that people are paying around a $1,000 for high grade copies of these two issues. A little price jump I can understand, but this giant leap is ridiculous.

Anyone else think that the prices for FF 45 and 46 are waayy out of control? Based on a movie announcement for 2018 which is still 3 years away, I am stunned that people are paying around a $1,000 for high grade copies of these two issues. A little price jump I can understand, but this giant leap is ridiculous.

It's more than just the movie in 2018. Marvel seems to be re-shaping their entire universe to reduce the emphasis on mutants, and grow the emphasis on Inhumans.

Also Black Bolt is a boss and is finally getting his due.

It's more than just the movie in 2018. Marvel seems to be re-shaping their entire universe to reduce the emphasis on mutants, and grow the emphasis on Inhumans.

Also Black Bolt is a boss and is finally getting his due.

Another +1.

The Inhumans aren't going anywhere.

Well, except to be force fed to us over the next 3 years.

Did the May 2012 Thanos reveal and subsequent mega pop in Iron Man 55 prices signal the beginning of the current bull market for key back issue comics?

I'd say IM 55 started the trend of instant, explosive price increases for previously overlooked keys upon a character's movie appearance / announcement.

IM 55 is probably also the poster child for the longevity of these movie books - its price has continually risen since the initial spike in 2012, with the 2018 & 2019 Infinity War movies ensuring more growth to come.

It's amazing that IM 55 prices have surpassed ASM 129, and are generally on par with GSXM 1 / XM 94. By the time the Infinity War movies hit, IM55 will almost certainly be the second most valuable Marvel bronze key, and may even be challenging Hulk 181 for the crown! :insane:

This market is like nothing that has ever come before.

Why? Stay tuned.

That's what comic collectors were saying back in the 70s. lol

The market in the 70's was also like nothing that ever came before.

The last 5 decades have seen incredible change in the comics market.

Yesterday, on the radio, there was a university professor of comic book ology on (times change) who said that there are 35 Marvel and DC movies in the planning stages right now. Then, of course, they talked about Ant-Man as an obscure character making his way to the cinema. Now, I know even with all this we have something which inevitably will be brushed aside. I would imagine that three big budget money losers in a row could be all that it would take to slow or stop these movies for ten years, until Disney/Marvel produced another to see how it worked.

I have no idea why things are happening the way they are with comic values. I predict that the big keys will stay up there for the long term. The little keys like Iron Man 55 will fade. How's that?

I also see a tendency on Ebay that has to be affecting the market. Most of the listings are Buy it Nows. Most of them seem like fishing expeditions. So the buyer has lost an important outlet, the Ebay auction.

Yesterday, on the radio, there was a university professor of comic book ology on (times change) who said that there are 35 Marvel and DC movies in the planning stages right now. Then, of course, they talked about Ant-Man as an obscure character making his way to the cinema. Now, I know even with all this we have something which inevitably will be brushed aside. I would imagine that three big budget money losers in a row could be all that it would take to slow or stop these movies for ten years, until Disney/Marvel produced another to see how it worked.

I have no idea why things are happening the way they are with comic values. I predict that the big keys will stay up there for the long term. The little keys like Iron Man 55 will fade. How's that?

I also see a tendency on Ebay that has to be affecting the market. Most of the listings are Buy it Nows. Most of them seem like fishing expeditions. So the buyer has lost an important outlet, the Ebay auction.

Iron Man 55 will stay a huge hit because of a different factor than Thanos.

Drax The Destroyer has become immensely popular. Iron Man 55 is also Drax first appearance.

With the speculating of movie comic books I would be more concerned about DC movie/TV hyped comic books then the Marvel ones.